BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Excerpts from Adoulin

These posts contain spoilers. Read the bold before clicking each spoiler to know which missions these spoilers cover.
    Link to main page: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/adoulin/index.html

Chapter 1 Summary: http://bg-wiki.com/bg/Seekers_of_Adoulin_Mission_1-4
    Spoiler: show
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11/adoul...010001/ss1.png
    Seeking fame and fortune in the far West, adventurers flocked to the Jeuno Chamber of Commerce and Industry to seek safe passage to Adoulin, a land of intrigue and innovation.

Yet the incomplete warping technology left them stranded in the Ceizak Battlegrounds, where they were pointed in the right direction by a young woman named Arciela. Upon arriving in the fabled city, they registered as official pioneers with the eponymous Pioneers’ Coalition, starting their new life as servitors to the city.

The newfound pioneers’ exploits in the wilderness had caught the eye of Adoulin’s ruling class. After an important assembly discussing the future of the city, the council held a grand feast to which they invited those recognized as making particularly valuable contributions. Yet another unexpected meeting waited the adventurers.

One with Arciela V. Adoulin.

And so the wheels of fate began to grind, slowly but surely, toward an uncertain future.

Melvien’s Personal Reflections: The Council Meeting and its Aftermath: http://bg-wiki.com/bg/Seekers_of_Adoulin_Mission_1-8
    It’s not that I find writing particularly disagreeable—it helps me collect my thoughts and spur on my memory—but all day I am strangled by official proposals, financial forms and governmental applications. Such stuffiness requires perfect precision, right down to the final stroke of each unsmeared letter.

That’s why I enjoy taking the time to collect my thoughts in a more informal manner at the end of each day—particularly those relating to colonization and pioneering.

I’ve no intention of showing this to anyone else. No, some of what I write here must never be made public. But I must record it, lest it weigh heavy on my mind.

I wonder what my reaction will be when I read this five, ten years down the line. I pray that our efforts toward opening up Eastern Ulbuka will have progressed, and inroads to the continent will have been secured.

The Pioneers’ Coalition came to me today with an update. Over the past month, their efforts have succeeded admirably; having given them free reign over the national coffers, I am pleased to see that they have not let even one coin go to waste. I must confess, though, that the majority of the burden has been borne not by our own native sons, but these battle-born adventurers from the Middle Lands who have come here to claim the moniker of “pioneer.”

There is, however, another thorn in my side—those who oppose colonization. They make quite a lot of noise, when in reality they are but a paper tiger; after all, of Adoulin’s Twelve Orders, only four growl in protest. The most effective way to silence them is to continue making inroads, to continue opening up the continent.

Adoulin is oft thought of as a big city, but its walls are beginning to burst as the population surges to previously unthinkable levels. The island is quite resource poor, providing sustenance for only a modicum of its citizenry, and prospects for securing a more stable food supply are grim. Those pitiable fools complain about living in harmony with the land and respecting the sanctity of the forest, yet they ignore the wails of the citizenry as they cry out for succor. Without the bounty provided to us by Ulbuka, how are we supposed to persevere?

Yet I must remain objective and not let my emotions control me.

Will Adoulin flourish as one of the great nations of Vana’diel? Or will it be relegated to a single footnote in the annals of history? The actions of those from the Middle Lands may decide the fate of us all.

What was the name of that pioneer whom I met at that dinner in Castle Adoulin? No matter. Of more pressing concern is that they have become a bit too close to the little witch—or rather, “Princess” Arciela—for my liking.

This vexes me, as our dear princess seems to have a strong distaste for our sudden calling—which in itself is surprising, given that it was none other than her brother Ygnas who proposed the gates be opened once more. What piques my interest, however, is that a pioneer could curry favor with the Order of Adoulin. I must let this play out as it will.

After all, the Pioneers’ Coalition is still in its infancy and requires further refinement if it is to fulfill its intended purpose.

Take the Zoldeff River, for instance—the main obstacle that impedes our advance into Foret de Hennetiel. Its waters are too perilous to ford without watercraft, and yet precious few coalition members have acquired watercrafting skills to navigate their way to the other side.

They would do well to learn more from the experiences of our new friends. Perhaps I should inform station and bivouac administrators to that effect...

Bah. These are supposed to be personal reflections, and yet I find once again my pen has turned toward duty over pleasure. I suppose it can’t be helped. There’s too much to do, and only so many hours in the day.

Suffice to say that these pioneers may yet prove their worth, and the bonds they’ve formed with each other will be the biggest source of their strength.
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11/adoul...010101/ss2.png

Pioneering, you see, is not something that can be undertaken alone. No...not with what I know about Lhe Lhangavo. For her, each day had been spent mired in regrets and what-ifs, all because she didn’t value those around her.

There is strength in numbers when fighting in uncharted lands. Ironic that it was Lhe herself who rose her voice to lecture us on what she called “the one undeniable truth of the continent” when Ygnas declared that colonization was to recommence.

She had been in such low spirits. What caused her to have a change of heart? “I’m our coalition’s Maester, after all,” she bleated out like a lost sheep, obviously trying to convince herself more than any one of us.

“Together we stand, divided we fall,” was it? Sometimes I wonder if those foreign-born adventurers will become aware of the true meaning of these words.

They must, or they shall find themselves suffering the same fate she did...

Melvien de Malecroix
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11/adoul...010101/ss3.png

Melvien de Malecroix
    Male Elvaan

The leader of the Order of Woltaris, one of Adoulin’s Twelve Orders. With a keen eye for economics and fiscal theory, he was appointed as the Minister of Finance at a young age. He is gravely concerned with the recent population explosion in the city and finds colonization to play a critical role in stamping out fears of a lack of housing, food, and gainful employment that accompany such an increase.

Adoulin Examiner Inaugural Issue

"The tide of colonization has risen, and nothing will come of opposing it!"
    "I suppose not..."
    Skeptical Owl nodded politely in response to Famlienne's passionate plea.

Adoulin's soil was certainly not as fertile as that of other lands. Providing three simple meals a day for its population would prove to be a fool's game if it continues to expand at this dizzying rate. To say that colonizing the harsh lands of Eastern Ulbuka was a pressing matter would be understating the gravity of the situation. Yet Skeptical Owl knew better than to think Famlienne's opinions were born out of merely a sense of justice.

"If we can convince everyone that the pioneering initiative is for the good of the people, Minister Melvien would be quite pleased with us!"
    "I suppose so..."

Famlienne was quite a striking woman, even to Skeptical Owl's undiscerning eyes. Her soft, curved figure and lustrous skin spoke volumes about the beauty of the South. What's more, she was of noble birth, with intimate ties to the Order of Woltaris—and her father was a decorated knight, to boot.

The current head of the order, a striking young man who jointly serves as Adoulin's Minister of Finance, was ripe for the plucking. Famlienne was most attracted to those of physical beauty, so Owl's budding hopes were dashed long before their relationship could have blossomed into something more.

"He might even give us a pat on the head for our enterprising efforts."
    "...And you enjoy being treated like a child?"
    "All journeys begin with but a single step."
    "Just make sure you're headed in the right direction."

Famlienne puffed out her cheeks in exasperation. Skeptical Owl, for his part, took the wise option of not pointing out that her face looked like a balloon sold at a town fair.

"Famlienne, didn't we come out here to collect information for our first article?"
    "I most certainly did not forget, Skeppy."
    "I told you, I prefer Skeptical Owl."
    "There is no need to be so stuffy about it. How many years have we known each other, now?"
    "All the same..."

A Galka and an Elvaan exchanging playful banter was a rare sight, indeed.

"And how many times do I have to tell you to call me 'Fam?' After all, we're like 'Fam'ily."
    "...Moving right along."
    "You are colder than a snowy winter's eve!"

Though two peas in a pod they were not—one a boorish Galka, the other a refined Elvaan—there was a practical reason why the two had been assigned to collate information for an article about the colonization effort. After all, what better way to show cooperation between the five civilized races, joining hand in hand to support the continued prosperity of Adoulin, than by having two polar opposites collaborate to draft a lighthearted record of pioneering vignettes?

"So Famlienne, we've managed to make it all the way here to a cave leading to the Altana-forsaken swamps of Foret de Hennetiel. Now what?"
    "Well, the records tell a harrowing tale from the last decade, where the son of a merchant in Eastern Adoulin fell ill with a rare disease."
    "Yes, his cough was said to be terrible."
    "And thyme moss, a plant found just on the outskirts of town, should have been a potent enough remedy. Yet that was not sufficient to cure his ailment."

The husband's father had heard tales passed down from generation to generation of a legendary herb even more potent than thyme moss. Yet the rub was in finding it, as none was known to grow anywhere near civilized lands.

"The grandfather, despite his advanced age, was determined to trek all the way to Foret de Hennetiel to claim a bounty that none had seen in countless years."

Of course, he had not told his family of this plan.

"The founder king's dying words were still followed to the letter then, with nary a foot tread on those hallowed grounds since they were spoken —and certainly no Pioneers' Coalition to aid him."
    "The roads created during the Great Expedition must've been grown over, too."
    "Beyond a doubt. The forest had reclaimed what man sought to create. The grandfather set out on an adventure of such import that he was willing to break the solemn pact and eschew the forest's visual warnings for it."

He never returned home. Though the Adoulin's finest were only charged with protecting the city, that one time they went above and beyond the call of duty, sending out a search party to find the poor soul. Yet the only thing left of him was his beloved harvesting sickle. When they picked it up off the ground, a single leaf, half crumpled upon itself, fluttered down from its blade, alighting on the soft dirt below.

"And you think that this plant still exists in Hennetiel?"
    "It must. One of the prime reasons we press forward into the inner depths of Eastern Ulbuka is precisely to make valuable discoveries that better the lives of those in the city."
    "Of course."
    "See? I told you pioneering is important."
    "I never said it wasn't. The problem is that we might have to head back before our surveys are complete."
    "Unfortunately..."
    "Hey, Famlienne."
    "W-what?"
    "If you've gotten us lost, you can just say so."
    "It's not my fault! Those pioneers are a bit too quick on their feet for me to keep pace! They are so mean! What a travesty of justice! They sped along their merry way, and disappeared in the blink of an eye!"

It was no accident. Skeptical Owl could tell that her legs were starting to cramp as she begun to slow down, so he signaled with a slight shifting of his eyes that it was okay for them to forge ahead.

"My pride as the daughter of a highly respected knight has been torn to shreds by this whole ordeal!"
    "Then you've got to work out a bit more."
    He removed a tiny scroll from within the recesses of his pouch. Famlienne expected what was coming and acquiesced.

Teleporting back to town was as simple as reading a few simple words off the weathered parchment. Chanting in unison, they released the energies contained within and began to dematerialize.

"We can always come back."
    "And next time, I shall make sure to be fully prepared!"

The force behind Famlienne's declaration echoed from stone wall to stone wall, fading softly with each bounce. A rushing wind swept through the Sih Gates as the two vanished.
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11/adoul...010201/ss2.png

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Excerpts from Adoulin: The Sacred City of Adoulin

Merged threads

Basically just recapping what everyone already knows, I guess that's appropriate since it's actually been almost 3 months since the last story update, and it's going to be yet longer before we get a continuation...

The only new information from this is that apparently Melvien isn't too fond of Arciela.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I wonder what my reaction will be when I read this five, ten years down the line.
    Nice foreshadowing there. I can already tell the guy is going to die some where in the storyline.

Also, I get the feeling that the storyline is going to follow the usual hippie thinking of nature is good, and technology and progress is bad.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Yubar View Post
    Nice foreshadowing there. I can already tell the guy is going to die some where in the storyline.

Also, I get the feeling that the storyline is going to follow the usual hippie thinking of nature is good, and technology and progress is bad.
    Nah he's just referring to how long it will take before the last missions come out for this expansion. Five, ten years from now...

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I thought it was really well written and a nice way to advance the story a bit tbh. The last line about Lhe Lhangavo's fate was a bit of a teaser too. They're obviously starting to set up for the next version update so it's probably not far off now. Early summer was what they previously said so it could be as little as 2-3 weeks away.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Their description of Adoulin makes it sound like Japan.

melviens talking about lebensraum so clearly adoulin is nazi germany

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

and here i thought sandy was nazi germany. think its just something bout elvaan nature in this game lol.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Added new article.

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    Added new article.
    Think this one also gives us an inkling that we'll see some alchemy synths showing up with the newer updates (they already mentioned "new synthesis stuff" in general) with the materials being Adoulin gathered (duh).

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

A new excerpt was recently added.

Putting a Name to the Darkness
    Platea Triumphus has been a place of relaxation for all of Adoulin’s citizens for centuries—and in these times, pioneers, too, have come to use it as a temporary haven from the harsh wilds of Ulbuka.

Our scene is set at three in the afternoon, when man’s pangs of hunger have been quelled. People of all means and backgrounds were spending a lazy afternoon procuring sweets and drinks from the stalls lining the promenade and feeling the soft breeze brush against their face—a welcome sensation on a day when the sun was beating harshly down on the stone walkways below.

The beads of sweat on Skeptical Owl’s forehead began to flow downward like a rushing river as drop upon drop accumulated, and the collar of his tunic was beginning to discolor. Just how long was he going to have to wait? He had just begun to mutter under his breath as Famlienne came bounding down the road.

“What on Ulbuka are you wearing?”
    “You don’t think it brings out my eyes?”
    “I didn’t say it looked bad, but...”

She was dressed like someone from the Middle Lands headed out for a night of debauchery. Where was her shame?
    Her shoulders were as bare to the world as the bum of a newborn babe, and her skirt was hiked up to the point that Owl blushed at the mere thought of...

The source of this abominable fashion sense was almost certainly those of less encumbered foreign adventurers.
    The designs were not totally without merit. When faced with the spears and fangs of the Velkk or the poisonous insects in the jungle, it is paramount that they be able to use their skills and techniques without being encumbered by heavy plate or ill-fitting chain.

Nevertheless, Famlienne was anything but an adventurer. Though she was trained in the knightly arts, being the daughter of a noble family, her stock in trade was that of journalism.

“Weren’t you going into the jungle?”
    “No, silly, today I’m off to the Mummers’ Coalition.”
    “What could you possibly want there?”
    “I’m off to find a certain someone.”

Fam was referring to none other than the person often talked about amongst pioneer circles of late. He was always spotted amongst the coalition’s leisure facilities, approaching adventurers of all stripes with some business or other.

All of this would be of no particular concern—except no one knew exactly who he really was.

As if he weren’t mysterious enough, he had left such a vague impression on people’s memories that no one could really describe him, either.

“I can’t be the only one interested in this! Who is he? Why is he so concerned with pioneering?”
    “Hm.”
    “’Hm?’ ‘Hm!?’”
    “You’re quite proactive for someone who fled the scene of our last interview, screeching about how she’d never let the jungle take her.”

Owl tried to keep a straight face as Famlienne narrowed her eyes in consternation.

“Zegard, what a terrible bully you are!”
    “I’ve told you time and again—call me Skeptical Owl.”
    “And I’ve told you, I’m sick of that flippant name! Your name is Zegard, and that’s what I’ve called you since I was little! Why would I ever call you anything else?”

Owl flushed up.
    The one saving grace was that his beard covered most of face, preventing further poking and prodding at the hands of his nosy companion. There’s no way a simple technician on the lower rungs of the Inventors’ Coalition’s hierarchy could be the target of a noble’s affections.

The only way to recover, he reasoned, would be with a quick change of topic.

“Go on ahead. I won’t stop you. But you do know that it’s a place for us commoners, and not someone like you?
    “That’s exactly what this getup is for!”
    “It’s your decision but...at least take off that diamond-studded necklace before you go.”
    “If it’ll make you feel better. Okay, off I go!”

Owl knew trying to stop her was an exercise in futility. The only way to keep an eye on the lass would be by accompanying her.

“Wait! I’ll come with you!”

The Mummers’ Coalition was but a short stroll south from the plaza.

Upon entering the edifice, Owl and Famlienne were greeted by rows of games and activities, as well as a variety of other facilities to meet the entertainment needs of Adoulin.

“Wow, Zegard doesn’t this look like a blast?”
    “Don’t get sidetracked.”

It would come as little surprise to hear that someone of her upbringing had never visited this place of base games and parlor tricks. She was grinning from ear to ear.

“Yeah, I know. There’s no need to get on my case. But still... Wait, what’s this thing?”
    “It’s one of their games. “Guess That Number,” if I recall. Just as the name implies—not that I’ve ever played it.”
    “Why not!? It looks so exciting! Well, it would be exciting if I had time for it. But I’m a journalist, and there’s no way I’m leaving without some big scoop!”
    “As long as you remember that, there’ll be no problems.”

Skeptical Owl took a sweeping glance of the room. He didn’t see anyone of note—

“Zegard! Over there!”
    “Who—hey, wait up!”

Yet did she wait? He should be so lucky. When he spied Famlienne’s mark, however, he knew instantly why she went rushing toward him.

He was staring forward, eyes both glazed and intense.

Though the rest of the patrons were dressed in simple clothing—short sleeved shirts, shorts, and soft-soled shoes, his attire was formal and freshly pressed, a look more befitting a gentleman summoned to the castle than one out for a game of chance. With the slight wrinkles on his face and straight, upright posture, he was more than dignified enough to pull it off.

“You’re a noble?”

Tact was not one of Owl’s strong suits.

“Eeek!”

Owl’s hair stood on edge as the man’s gaze turned toward him.

He wasn’t threatened, per se, merely taken aback by the imposing stare. He let out a short gasp as his arms and back tensed up.

“What’s with this guy’s eyes?”

Despite the man’s slightly wrinkled skin, it would be unfair to call him old. His back was unbent, stretching toward the heavens like a flower crying out for sunlight. His shoulders were broad, and his beefy frame was sturdy rather than chubby.
    But those eyes were blue as the Senroh Sea, and Owl found himself barely treading water.

“Excuse me, Sir, can I have a moment of your time?”

How could she keep her wits about her? Was she immune to his imposing stature? Famlienne, who never so much winced at facing the most fearsome of beasts, had similar success in approaching this equally dangerous figure.

“Oh? A pretty little girl come to ask me questions? Yes, I shall humor you.”
    “Hear that, Zegard? He called me “pretty,” unlike a certain lunkhead who shall remain nameless.”
    “If it makes you feel better, I’ll say it.”
    “Too late. The moment’s ruined.”

Sure, compliments may not be becoming of him, but her words hurt nonetheless.

“Well, that’s neither here nor there. Good sir, you’re the “nighttime noble” so often referred to by the fresh-faced pioneers, are you not?”
    “’Nighttime noble?’” He smirked. “Is that how they refer to me?”
    “Yes.”
    “Oh ho, isn’t that an amusing affair.”

Owl furrowed his brow incredulously. Maybe Famlienne was just more in the know...

“Well, maybe not everyone. But that’s what I call you!”
    “Famlienne, for the love of—“
    “Oh, come on. Just take a look at him! Covered in black from head to toe!”
    “Just because you call him that doesn’t mean everyone else does!”
    ”Why wouldn’t it?”
    “You’re completely out of your mind.”

It was as if old times had returned, as the social glacier between the two melted once more.

The man chortled at the petty exchange between the two, turning the situation on its heels from amusing to awkward.

“How charming, seeing the two of you going at it. Little girl, you remind me of a certain prin—bah, never mind. You are certainly unique.”
    “Why thank you, nighttime noble.”

“’Thank you’? I don’t think he was complimenting—“
    “Well, that’s how it sounded to me!”
    “You only hear what you want to.”

“Hoho, perhaps ‘unique’ was not the best choice of words. But, a request—please dispense with the ‘nighttime noble’ nonsense. Such a high brow title is wholly unbecoming.”
    “Well...if you insist. But I need to call you something. How shall I refer to you? As for me, I’m Famlienne, and more than pleased to make your acquaintance.”
    Famlienne curtsied gracefully, her back bending so low that her head nearly touched her knees.
    Always the daughter of nobility, Owl thought.

“My dearest Famlienne, this place is a parlor. A place where the weary and the despondent go to forget what ails them, even for the briefest of moments. No matter their station in life, all are faceless and equal here. Why let illusion dissolve into reality with corporeal monikers?”
    “Forgive me for asking.”

Famlienne? Giving in so easily?

“Then “notable nighttime noble” it is.

Things were starting to spiral out of control.

“I don’t really think...”
    “No? How about ‘Duke of Darkness’? Or maybe ‘Black Baron’?”
    “Cease! Cease, I say!”

His aloof façade showed the first signs of cracking, and Owl, for once, felt pangs of sympathy. “Black Baron” certainly sounded a more ominous appellation than the man warranted, and with the way her voice reverberated throughout the rafters...
    “This is a place of pleasure, my sweet Famlienne, so let us play a little game. If you can solve the riddle I pose you, then I shall answer a question of your choosing.”
    “A riddle? Wonderful! I love riddles! You might think me to be dimwitted, but I’ve heard all kinds of tales told by the adventurers of the Middle Lands, and have read the Vana’diel Tribune since its inaugural issue!”

“Great. Here she goes again,” Owl muttered under his breath.

Even though Famlienne was screaming like a Moblin on fire, no one seemed to even bat an eye at their presence.

A sly smile graced the man’s face.

“Ready? ...I walk together with light, but never become one with it. What is my name?”

“Wh-what?”

Famlienne’s voice raised an octave in surprise.

“Walk together with light...hmm... Maybe something that comes with the sun? Like the blue sky?”
    “You have hit upon an interesting point. When the sun rises, it illuminates the sky. Certainly the sky accompanies the sun, but does not disappear with it. The blue sky...a well-reasoned answer, but an incorrect one—after all, you can see the sun on even a slightly cloudy day.”

“Oh...right. Of course. Well, then... Ah ha! I’ve got it! Warmth! The sun is warm!”
    “Oh ho, I see where you’re coming from. But don’t you think that the two of them come together as one?”

“Ahhh—of course. Silly me. The sun itself is really warm. I mean, if you were to touch it it’d probably be warm, right?”
    “Warm? More like flesh-searingly hot.”

Owl couldn’t help but interject. Her answer had hit a bit too close to home, as he recalled the drips that still remained on his tunic.

“Zegard, don’t butt in like that. Can’t you see that I’m giving this my all? Now, let me think...”

Famlienne pulled up a chair, hunched forward, and steepled her fingers. She’ll never get it, Owl thought. Not with the way this was unfolding.

“Giving up so soon? Then I am afraid I will be answering no questions today. I bid you farewell.”

He looked down at Famlienne with a smug smile and headed for the door when Owl spoke out.

“Hold on.”
    “Yes?”
    “You didn’t say that she had to be the one who answered the question.”
    “Oh ho—you mean that you have the answer?”

His attitude shone through in his tone. Owl would have to make him stay his tongue and stop playing games.

“It’s simple. The answer is either a sundial or the sundial’s shadow.”

The smile vanished from the man’s faster than the wrapping paper on a child’s toy during the Starlight Celebration.

“The shadow from a sundial moves along with the sun, so it ‘walks with light.’ However, it never becomes one with the light, because as soon as the sun reaches it, the shadow vanishes.

Famlienne’s face brightened.

“Yes! That’s exactly right! Why didn’t I see it earlier?”
    “Because his answers were leading you astray.”
    “Astray?”
    “Fam...”
    “Oooh, you’re going to start calling me ‘Fam’ finally?”
    “Wh-what? No! Let me finish. Listen, every time he gave you an answer he lead you back to the very first question.”

Famlienne narrowed her eyes, as Owl heaved a heavy sigh.

“Ok, Fam, here it is. The first part of the riddle is ‘walking together with the sun’. But think back—you interpreted the riddle as something located alongside the sun, and kept going along those lines. And that guy never once stopped you.”
    “Oh...yeah!”
    “You never questioned your assumption, and limited yourself to only thinking about ‘something located alongside the sun.’ You were only looking for things physically close to the sun.”
    “Hey, I was!”
    “And that’s why he kept leading you down that road. That’s why you never found a response to this child’s riddle. This man is a shameless trickster.”

The man remained motionless as a sly smile returned to his face, impressed at the Galka’s acumen.
    “We’ve played your game and won. Now it’s our turn to ask a question and figure out who you are.”
    “Haha, things certainly have taken a turn for the intriguing. I thought the adventurers from the Middle Lands were the only ones around here with some life to them, but seeing you gives me hope for Adoulin yet,” he smiled.

“There’s something wrong with my eyes,” Famlienne hesitantly offered.

Owl knew exactly what she was thinking. The man’s form began to fade as if disappearing into the shadows—yet there was no shade to be seen. His outline grew hazy, leaving only his white face behind.

A voice rose from the darkness.

“Tohoho. My young Galka friend, you surely are an interesting one—yet your answer was incorrect.”

“Don’t be a fool. I know my answer was right!”

Owl shouted at the air in front of him, yet his cry did not reach its intended recipient. The man’s laughter grew increasingly shrill, and an oppressive air of anxiety descended upon the two companions.

“Gwehehe! No, no, you could not be more wrong. The answer...

“...is me.”

One who walks together with light yet never becomes one with it.

“Hey—Enough of your ga—“

But Owl’s words, though they reverberated within his skull, did not escape his lips. He grew faint, his vision beginning to waver. His memories, like the man, faded into obscurity.

Intrigue Abounds! A Close-up Look at a Dignified Gentleman

We went off to the Mummers’ Coalition to find out who the older gentlemen often seen talking to pioneers really is.

We succeeded in find him there, and passed the trial he placed before us without fail. Having successfully bested him in a battle of wits, we pressed him for details about his life and purpose.

But that’s where our memories begin to falter.

It wasn’t until one of the coalition’s concierges shook us on the shoulder that we finally came to.

We had evidently been dozing off on the velvet chairs that lined the wall...but neither of us remembers ever sitting down.

“Zegard, what’s this?”

My partner spied a small card lying face down on the table in front of us. She hesitantly picked it up, flipped it over, and read the crisp characters engraved in black ink.

“My future famous journalists,
    I look forward to meeting you again should the pendulum of fate swing in my direction.
    Teodor”

Our meeting was not a mere fantasy—and at least we know his name!

However, we knew better than to be happy with this tidbit. Those sheltering dark secrets always give the most trivial of information to maintain the veil surrounding them.

It is here that we would like to enlist the aid of our pioneer allies. Should you happen to come across a gentleman dressed from head to toe in black, inform us at your earliest convenience.

We do not know why this “Teodor” is so interested in you, yet will continue to watch out for him in our (hopefully not vain) quest to unravel this tangled web.

Pleading to you for your aid,

Fam and Owl, special Eastern Ulbuka field reporters

This doesn't really do shit but add mystery to Teodor. The fact that he's talking about being a shadow though kinda eludes to either being from the past (perhaps immortal/cursed to witness Adoulin's trials and tribulations for all eternity? Maybe he's actually the founder king...), or someone that perhaps (and this might be a bit of a stretch) has become one with shadows. That is to say, just as Ygnas has been cursed to be a leafkin, perhaps Teodor has been cursed to become partially an Umbril.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

They foreshadow him being a villain so fucking hard. I hope they switch it on us. It's like almost ridiculous how easy it is to see that he's a dark character. Maybe he's the Naakual of Darkness

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Galkas blush at the thought of sexuality? Maybe they've been lying about their asexuality all this time!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Responding to Malithar's response above... story spoilers, read at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    This doesn't really do shit but add mystery to Teodor. The fact that he's talking about being a shadow though kinda eludes to either being from the past (perhaps immortal/cursed to witness Adoulin's trials and tribulations for all eternity? Maybe he's actually the founder king...), or someone that perhaps (and this might be a bit of a stretch) has become one with shadows. That is to say, just as Ygnas has been cursed to be a leafkin, perhaps Teodor has been cursed to become partially an Umbril.
    Teodor certainly has a very mannequin-esque look to his face, sort of like someone caught in between human and mannequin, so it could very well be that he'd been afflicted with the same kind of curse as Ygnas before and found a way to survive, or partially came back from being cursed, or whatever. I really like the story of this expansion so far, but the last "cliffhanger" left off at an awful place. Wasn't even really a cliffhanger, it just felt like they randomly decided to stop there. Hopefully the next update will be soon....

And yeah, him being a villain outright would be way too obvious. It wouldn't surprise me if he leans towards villainy or sides with whatever the "evil forces" are at some point in the storyline, but there's definitely more to it than that.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Can we all just agree that Teodor is the stupidest fucking name ever?

I thought the story was incredibly boring and cliche until the recent update when stuff actually happened. Nothing too amazing, but there's actually things now beyond just: hey we want to colonize/no we don't want you to colonize.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I also like how well the story-focused side quests (including the AF quests) play into the main storyline. Every time you go behind one of those closed doors in Adoulin, there's something interesting that's revealed about the main story. Like when they hand over the Geomancy Mitaines to you they have some internal disagreement about whether a pioneer should be allowed to practice geomancy when Geomancers in general are anti-colonization, etc. That certainly came out even more in the fight that took place in the arena in Rala.

Also, I thought it was pretty clear earlier that the colonize/dont colonize debate was a setup for more internal strife and behind-the-scenes activity, but I'm glad that it was finally realized in this update. They'd been pushing that whole thing since the very beginning, even before Adoulin came out, when they showed the 12 leaders' votes for colonization with the 8 for and 4 against.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The set up for possibility of Civil War is pretty interesting. We'll end up playing for both sides regardless. It's unfortunate that our actions have no effect on the outcome of the storyline. Would be pretty interesting if people were actually given an option to choose sides.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

There is a definite fight between progressive and conservative values going on in Adoulin. Those viewpoints can be very passionate and can get out of control much like they do in the real world. The recent actions in the storylines are showing it's continuing to escalate.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

New excerpt posted.

Nothing really spoiler worthy here, just something to look forward to in the future, should they expand upon this diary.

Though it might be a tad bit of foreshadowing mentioning that this diary is to be released to the public when Arciela dies..This part is only mentioned on the POL Launcher news portion.

Arciela's Diary

* Sections added or deleted by Cynthia are marked in red.

Even since I was young, I knew I was different from the other children—a bit too sensitive to the needs and feelings of others.

And not just people. I could feel the movement and murmurings of forest spirits and faeries as well. Was there something special within me...?

That tale, however, is not one to be told today. There is something of greater import which I must put to parchment.

It’s about the leafkin—those adorable creature of nature that are well known throughout our fine city.

If you ask any adventurer from the Middle Lands what comes to mind when they think of walking plants, they invariably mention a species they call the “mandragora.”

Here in Adoulin, though, we think of the leafkin. Though these creatures are a bit odd, few are the Adoulinians who do not feel kindship with their agreeable form. Adorable indeed, they barely reach up to one’s knees.

Oh dear, and how cute they are! Just look at them, all round and fuzzy, with the most brilliant green leaves you’ve ever seen—not at all like the poisoned trees you find deep within the jungle! It’s like the sun shines forth from within their translucent foliage. And their eyes! So big, so round, so loving! And the little hint of yellow around their mouths—I could just die! I just want to run up to them and give them a big hug!

Despite the tough and resilient nature of their leaves, their bodies are refreshingly soft...or so I’ve heard. That’s what was written down in an encyclopedia I find in Celennia Memorial Library entitled Eastern Ulbuka—A Glimpse into the Beyond.

Their little mouths tremble and quiver as if trying to say something—but they speak not the tongue of man. Whether they communicate amongst each other is a question best left for botanists—or perhaps other such scholars.

Yet one time I did try to communicate with them.

I took a vessel to the continent, passing through the Ceizak Battlegrounds and deeper into the recesses of the jungle.

I pushed past the trees, cutting and slicing my way through as needed, stepping over logs and fording the river, passing over the natural boundary, and...

I pressed further onward.

All manner of beasts came at me, but it was with a flourish of my blade, a quick slide and deft riposte that I fended off my assailants, and with one final thrust I cleaved them in twain.

This treasured blade, an heirloom of my family, glinted a brilliant alabaster in the midday sun. I brandished it above, sending hundreds of shards of light raining down upon the ground like arrows during a castle siege, and with a whirl and a flourish, more than a thousand corpses lay before me.

Even impregnable forces of darkness trembled before me, scattering them to the four corners of the forests like roaches under an oil-soaked torch, proving for all to see that my dominance over the wilds was absolute.

And so it came that I arrived in the farthest depths of the weald, spotting leafkins in their natural habitat for the very first time.

Yet how could I possibly tell them apart? To my untrained eyes, even as they stood before me in a row, each one looked exactly like the one before. I called out, but as they began to shuffle and bumble about, I lost track of the one with which I was attempting to converse.

And my reward for coming this far? A rock thrown at my head. The creatures did not greet me with the same kindness I would have shown them.

Some have called the leafkin “the protectors of the forest.” To make further inroads into this perilous wilderness, we must earn their trust...but I could not dream up a way to do so.

Yet the citizenry’s interest in and curiosity about the leafkin grows with each passing day. Perhaps this can serve as some conduit to improve relations. At least, I hope so.

End.