+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Shit you post on BG isn't private dawg. You don't own the webs, other motherfuckers do.

Quote Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
    All the responses in this thread is the reason they can do this and not expect any backlash.

I do fuck all on the internet to be worried about it, doesn't mean I want them going through my texts/emails for no fucking reason other than "we can." We wouldn't be happy with unwarranted house or car searches, yet we're okay with our data being mined?
    It's more to the fact that if you don't want your information monitored, there are ways to protect yourself and your data. As stated above, this was being done before the NSA got into it. Google can most likely tell half world what they will buy next before they do. These are the people that don't care, because they know how to protect themselves and they also know it won't matter in the end. Most of this information is freely given because people are too retarded to understand what they are doing, and even with protection in place most data can be found on facebook. Welcome to the generation that doesn't give two shits, and will post anything and everything in the hopes of being someone important.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

You're right guys. It's been done before. Everybody does it.

So it's ok.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

You're right guys. It's been done before. Everybody does it.

So it's ok.
    No one is arguing that. If you want to have a circlejerk about how it is wrong to do this, then you would probably want to start somewhere in the 1950s.

BG Level

Santa hasn't been real since 19th century. Stop the presses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyis. View Post
    This information was already being stored (and maybe data mined) by all these private companies to begin with. The NSA taking a peek should do absolutely nothing to make you worry. You're were already being watched. This is just one more set of eyes among a hundred others.
    There is a very big difference between a company mining your data and the government doing so. One of these entities has the power to indefinitely detain you without due process of law. Hint: it's not the company.

inb4 "nothing to hide" argument.

edit: Allah President Fire 9/11 Victory. Fuck the police (state).

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Feel free to go through my phone, all you're gonna find is dick picks I send to fat chicks anyway, good luck assholes.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

While companies selling information or what have you to other private companies is pretty deplorable in it's own right, there's a difference between that and a government entity violating constitutional rights because america
    Do you flip out about security cameras in a changing room at a store?

The internet is not ours. It's not private. It's basically going to someone's business to use. They set the rules.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    There is a very big difference between a company mining your data and the government doing so. One of these entities has the power to indefinitely detain you without due process of law. Hint: it's not the company.

inb4 "nothing to hide" argument.
    Hint: the government already openly subpoenas that data on the reg

Whole lotta freedoms in here

Quote Originally Posted by Xajii View Post

Generally a warrant is a prerequisite to a subpoena.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

If the government goes through the process of getting warrants and subpoena's for the data, that's fine.

It's the data collection on everyone without warrant (or a general oversweeping judges ruling) that is the issue.

BG Level

I'd much rather a law enforcement agency have access to information than the private sector, that's for damn sure. At least with the gov you know they're siphoning out the bullshit and only checking flagged words, 'cause they really don't give a shit what your super secret ingredient is for your moms trifle. The private sector can make bank off every sentence you type.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I really don't care if they're watching as long as they're not a) selling my info and b) doing it with a warrant with full disclosure when necessary.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Either you're offended on principle, your you have something to hide. In terms of what I imagine is being done with this data by the NSA... I doubt they're going to knock down your door for that text you sent about buying weed.

It iis definitely concerning in that it would start to get real muddy if it happened on the state and local law enforcement levels. But I can see the other side of this too.

Either you're offended on principle, your you have something to hide. In terms of what I imagine is being done with this data by the NSA... I doubt they're going to knock down your door for that text you sent about buying weed.

It iis definitely concerning in that it would start to get real muddy if it happened on the state and local law enforcement levels. But I can see the other side of this too.
    Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Way to be a fascist. How is it not common knowledge that this is the single most deplorable argument that can be made on the topic of privacy?

All the responses in this thread is the reason they can do this and not expect any backlash.

I do fuck all on the internet to be worried about it, doesn't mean I want them going through my texts/emails for no fucking reason other than "we can." We wouldn't be happy with unwarranted house or car searches, yet we're okay with our data being mined?
    What you don't get is that they've been doing it all along. This is just the official "Oh hai, we saw all your emails."

Privacy vs. the government is a lie. You use the Internet, Big Brother has an eye on you, and the only reason there's no response is because whatever you're doing, they don't give a shit about at the moment. Not only that, it's multiple governments, all of them doing their best to tap into and process as much of that information as possible.

I mean, c'mon. The Net started as a military network. Like folks haven't been busily reading whatever the fuck they want, whenever they want with gov't sanctioning since ARPANET? And you think your "rights" are going to stop them? That's funny.

BG Level

I doubt they're going to knock down your door for that text you sent about buying weed.
    The rooster crows at midnight.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

I'm offended on principle really. I want them to go through the proper channels of getting warrants to search through information, and not everything. Like I said, I do fuck all on the internet anymore, but it's also not just the internet but phone records/recordings, text messages, VOIP, facetime/skype. That's concerning. The fact that they're doing this without warrant or using a sweeping ruling means that they treat innocent people as suspects, and it wouldn't be okay if it was physical searches, but more people are apathetic because it's the internet.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Kyreth View Post
    What you don't get is that they've been doing it all along. This is just the official "Oh hai, we saw all your emails."

Privacy vs. the government is a lie. You use the Internet, Big Brother has an eye on you, and the only reason there's no response is because whatever you're doing, they don't give a shit about at the moment. Not only that, it's multiple governments, all of them doing their best to tap into and process as much of that information as possible.

I mean, c'mon. The Net started as a military network. Like folks haven't been busily reading whatever the fuck they want, whenever they want with gov't sanctioning since ARPANET? And you think your "rights" are going to stop them? That's funny.
    You're assuming I don't get that it's been happening because I'm posting in this thread in 2013 like I'm suddenly outraged.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

having some spooks know i spent 45 minutes last night looking for the hoopz sex tape is a small price to pay to prevent the next 9/11