+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level

I'm pretty excited about this. Anybody else think the starting area is gonna turn into a crater?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

No holy trinity, I think that's a bad idea. Didn't like it in GW2, sure you can do stuff easier (aka faster) but it's never been as effective imo. Plus I like tanking

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Yeah, I really don't know why games keep going in the no tank and healer direction. =/ Sure it makes it easier to form parties, but at the same time, there are a lot of people out there that enjoy tanking and healing.

edit: And yeah, I hated GW2 for that reason as well.

I'm sure companies are just doing this to get more people in their games since that is all they care about though.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Somebody in my guild said it right that it basically makes the game play like Diablo where you just run around killing stuff all day. Its not a bad idea you just need to create the rest of the game to supplement it which I don't think GW2 did at all.

I'm totally cool through with devs making some games with trinity and others without. There's appeal to both. I think in a sandbox game where content is gonna be dynamically generated like this though, no trinity works out better.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Getting rid of the holy trinity shouldn't be the message, the message should be that you don't need the holy trinity to do stuff in the game. They should incorporate such classes regardless, because some people like to play them, but the idea that you need a main tank/main healer for content is just kind of silly in the end.

That's why I like the concept of Elder Scrolls Online (notice I said concept, not convinced it'll be as great as they claim!). Basically you can build a pure tank/pure healer if you want, but you'll need the right group of players to actually be effective in such a role. Similarly you can build hybrids of everything in between and accordingly with the right group you can be effective.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth View Post
    there are a lot of people out there that enjoy tanking and healing.
    There's also a lot of games made just for you. No trinity is great done right, especially when it comes to PvP. GW2 is a shitty example because 90% of the fights can be beaten by drooling on your KB, but done right it means individual player skill goes a long way compared to trinity games that rely almost entirely on party compositions.

Also am I really the only one who thinks this is going to fall flat on all its promises? I'm really surprised at the lack of skepticism I'm seeing about this, especially given SOE's behind it.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Kiarax View Post
    Also am I really the only one who thinks this is going to fall flat on all its promises? I'm really surprised at the lack of skepticism I'm seeing about this, especially given SOE's behind it.
    EQ2 still did really well after 90% of their fanbase was like "WE WILL NEVER LEAVE EQ1!" So I have faith.

Plus I've always wanted to play an EQ game from launch, so don't crush my dreams kiarasex.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Press release, caps
    Spoiler: show
    Fourteen years ago, Sony Online Entertainment changed the way people play games together online with the introduction of the original EverQuest. Today, SOE offers a new vision for the future of online games with the worldwide debut of EverQuest Next.

"With EverQuest Next, we're going back to our roots – a space we defined with the EverQuest legacy – and ushering in a new era of MMOs: The Emergent Era," said John Smedley, President, Sony Online Entertainment. "Today, many MMOs fail because players consume content faster than developers can create it. With EverQuest Next, we're creating a living world that players are part of and empowering them to produce new content alongside the development team. What does the future hold for EverQuest Next and Sony Online Entertainment? It's in the players' hands, and we like it that way."

"EverQuest Next is not the continuation of a familiar story. It represents the fundamental reimagining of the characters, lore and environments of the EverQuest universe," said Dave Georgeson, Director of Development for the EverQuest Franchise, Sony Online Entertainment. "Make no mistake; while great care has been taken to respect the extraordinary influence that EverQuest has had in this industry and with our player community over the years, this is a boldly different game unlike anything that has come before."

"We believe that the bold choices the team is making with EQN will result in a product that provides players with an absolutely new kind of game experience," said Laura Naviaux, Senior Vice President of Global Sales and Marketing, Sony Online Entertainment. "However, there is something even more important to us. As an organization, we are dedicated to partnering with our community to give them a voice in the games we create. With EQN, we are taking this idea even further and offering our players the opportunity to actively build EQN with us."

EverQuest Next has been in development since 2009. Nearly two years ago, SOE made the decision to rethink core creative and technical aspects of the design and start from the ground up to build a new kind of game. As a result, EQN is different from all of the MMOs that have been made before in very important ways, including:

Multi-Classing – EQN will offer players the ability to explore and interact with the world according to their individual style of play. There are no levels in EQN, but there will be more than 40 distinct classes (or professions) at launch, with multi-tiered abilities and specialized weapon skills to collect and master. Players will even mix and match abilities from each class, creating truly custom characters that feel distinct and powerful.

Destructible Environments – No modern MMO has successfully implemented destructible environments that stretch across an entire seamless game world – this changes forever with EQN. Every piece of the world is fully destructible and players will have the ability to manipulate almost all of it. They will interact with and explore the world in amazing ways; venturing down into the deep bedrock beneath the surface and using powerful combat abilities to blow gaping holes into the ground. The EQN world will extend far into the heavens and deep into the procedurally-generated earth through 10,000 years of known lore and history.

Permanent Change – Players will also have the ability to cause the world to change around them, permanently, in dramatic ways. Through the concerted effort of the world's inhabitants, including players, creatures, and non-player characters, city walls will be built and destroyed, large-scale wars will be fought and won, and epic stories will unfold over months and years.

Emergent AI – In EQN, NPCs will have specific motivations and preferences that direct behavior in nuanced and unpredictable ways. Players will find themselves in a world where NPC decisions are based on core values, not dictated by static spawn points. For example, Orcs may attack opportunistically because they want an adventurer's gold, not simply because a careless hero wanders into an attack radius.

A Life of Consequence – Finally, each character in EQN will have a unique story; they will not follow a predetermined path. Instead, they will seek out adventure, fame and fortune in a constantly changing sandbox world. The game will remember every choice and action that players make and will organically deliver increasing opportunities to do more of the things players like to do ... from crafting armor and exploring the wilderness to purging goblins from the forests.

Introducing EverQuest Next Landmark

This winter, SOE will introduce EverQuest Next Landmark. Essentially, Landmark will combine the powerful and intuitive building tools SOE is using to create the fully destructible world of EQN with all of the social functionality expected from a modern MMO.

The game will feature huge persistent worlds that each support thousands of other players and varied terrain inspired by the environments of EQN. Most importantly, Landmark will provide anyone who wants to participate with the opportunity to actually build structures, and eventually create other types of content, to be considered for inclusion in EQN. Landmark will enable players to:

Create Amazing Things

• Build highly detailed structures with powerful and intuitive tools.

• Quickly design complex projects or collaborate with friends to undertake massive shared builds.

• Lay claim to and control specific areas of huge persistent worlds.

Share Your Imagination with Friends

• Landmark's persistent servers will enable players to interact with and experience the collective imagination of thousands of players in a unique shared world.

• Players will have compelling reasons to explore and interact with others. They will congregate at crafting hubs, build design templates to share and trade, and journey across the world to collect the resources required to build and craft.

Build EQN with SOE - Using the Same Tools

• Landmark players will gain increasing access to many of the same tools that SOE is using to construct the game world of EQN.

• Not only will Landmark give players access to these world building tools, SOE will provide specific guidance on what we want help building.

• Through this collaborative approach, EQN may eventually represent the largest overall collaborative development effort in the history of online games. For anyone who has ever thought about becoming a game developer, here is your chance. Together we will build extraordinary things!

Pricing and Availability - Landmark will launch this winter as a "Free To Play. Your Way". offering and the first step in a multi-phase release strategy. It will serve as the gateway to EQN and as the collaborative building hub where SOE will guide the development of selected structures and environments for inclusion in EQN. No formal date is set for the launch of EQN.

I'll be waiting to see more news before making an opinion on EQ NEXT. everyone seems to like to advertise that they're the next big thing, or the next generation, but MMO's have been doing so poor at launch lately that I think they have a lot more to prove before I buy into the hype. That being said, more quality MMO's is something that always excites me, so i'm hoping for the best.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

The videos look interesting, but it doesn't stand out to me. The idea of a destructible environment and the AI is great if implemented well.

Unfortunately I was a bit too young to get aboard the EQ train. I was playing Infantry (another SOE game) when EQ was released and remember reading up on it, but not having the means to pay for it because I was 11. I've applied for the beta and will reserve my opinions until I see more. I think the Landmark program will be a good feature. Skyrim got a good amount of community mods that expanded on the game. As long as the released are controlled by SOE we should be able to see some good third-party development.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

The old school EQ players on mmorpg have been going apeshit and raging about every aspect of the reveal for 2 weeks now.

They're not happy. Some of them are nuts though.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

I didn't play EQ, the reveal isn't bad imo, what are the EQ players are complaining about?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    I didn't play EQ, the reveal isn't bad imo, what are the EQ players are complaining about?
    They want gritty and real art style, not cartoony
    They want the expanded hard trinity (tank - healer - dps - cc - support), not GW2 spam fest
    They hate action combat
    They want old school tab targeting with slow combat so they can "talk to party members"
    They want old school forced grouping for leveling
    They want a severe death penalty similar to EQ/XI

Basically they want EQ/FFXI and not EQ2/FFXIV. I honestly agree with a lot of them minus the nutjobs.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Um okay. I guess every new MMO now has to have a gimmick that gives it the outward appearance of being freshly innovative. So their gimmick is you can move game components. How does that make the game good or better? Just like for cinema you can see movies in 3-D, nice gimmick, how does that make the movie better or the plot interesting?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Being able to destroy and build almost everything seems pretty interesting to me. It's everything else that seems lackluster so far, but it's still early and we really don't know much yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Alderaan View Post
    They want gritty and real art style, not cartoony
    They want the expanded hard trinity (tank - healer - dps - cc - support), not GW2 spam fest
    They hate action combat
    They want old school tab targeting with slow combat so they can "talk to party members"
    They want old school forced grouping for leveling
    They want a severe death penalty similar to EQ/XI

Basically they want EQ/FFXI and not EQ2/FFXIV. I honestly agree with a lot of them minus the nutjobs.
    You forgot about the pants. They do not want mages to wear god damn pants!

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Oh god how could i forget the pants?!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cf.../392536/page/1

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

HOLY SHIT

Anti-crusade crusader
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Best thread I've read in a while. Hearty lols were had.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

If anyone is interested here are some time lapse videos, showing off the Tera forming potential in EQNExt Landmark.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast