+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Un-Rad Conrad
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

The Ninth Circuit was without jurisdiciton to consider the appeal. The judgment of the Ninth Circuit is vacated, and the case is remanded with instructions to dismiss the appeal for lack of jurisdiction.
    from scotusblog. the decision on the prop 8 case: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-144_8ok0.pdf

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Overall: Fucking lame cop-out. As per normal with this court.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    The ninth circuit decision ruled that it was unconstitutional.
    The Ninth Circuit decision was vacated. We need to know the decision before that.

Un-Rad Conrad
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

ultimately it means gays in california can get married, but absolutely nothing is being done on a federal level and the supreme court is saying that it's not the problem of the federal government to deal with it.

Un-Rad Conrad
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

the weirdest thing is that the vote that it lacked standing was upheld 5-4 by Roberts, Scalia, Ginsberg, Breyer, and Kagan. idgi

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Skirkle View Post
    ultimately it means gays in california can get married, but absolutely nothing is being done on a federal level and the supreme court is saying that it's not the problem of the federal government to deal with it.
    Actually, I think you are correct, because this would push the decision back down to Walker's original decision. But I believe it could be properly appealed still.

Edit: Yep, Prop 8 is blocked from enforcement because of Walker's decision, but it can still be appealed properly.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

the weirdest thing is that the vote that it lacked standing was upheld 5-4 by Roberts, Scalia, Ginsberg, Breyer, and Kagan. idgi
    That's because it has to do with the legal standing and not the merits. Legally the were probably correct, but that is only because the Court decided to make it that way. There is nothing in the law that prevents them from hearing the case and deciding it on it's merits.

I have no concept of how these things work, but I find this a little fascinating.

Could this have been done defensively? I mean, if they were going to rule that the case had standing, could it have been that it would have been a 5-4 with a ruling against (rather than for, as seen in doma)?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Talint View Post
    I have no concept of how these things work, but I find this a little fascinating.

Could this have been done defensively? I mean, if they were going to rule that the case had standing, could it have been that it would have been a 5-4 with a ruling against (rather than for, as seen in doma)?
    Doubtful. Kennedy wasn't going to support upholding Prop 8.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

So, I just woke up. Gays get to marry?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    So, I just woke up. Gays get to marry?
    In CA, yeah, but could still be challenged. No other added states. If you are gay married where it is legal, then you get federal marriage benefits once Obama and the Congress gets it sorted out.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Gays have always been able to marry in statesin which it's legal. Just now the government will recognize them as legal.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Meh

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    In CA, yeah, but could still be challenged. No other added states. If you are gay married where it is legal, then you get federal marriage benefits once Obama and the Congress gets it sorted out.

hurray!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Gays have always been able to marry in statesin which it's legal. Just now the government will recognize them as legal.
    hurray!

Tamale Baby
    Groundskeeper of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Some of the comments on the Fox "news" Article are hilarious, one guy keeps yelling about how its not natural....

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Some of the comments on the Fox "news" Article are hilarious, one guy keeps yelling about how its not natural....
    The commentary articles on Fox News are so salty. LOL Not like ranty, just all "if this is what you want, FINE, I DON'T CARE! *pout*"

Tamale Baby
    Groundskeeper of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The commentary articles on Fox News are so salty. LOL Not like ranty, just all "if this is what you want, FINE, I DON'T CARE! *pout*"
    A lot of them are also posting quotes from the bible lol

Un-Rad Conrad
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Meh
    basically

once Obama and the Congress gets it sorted out.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    I've said this in relation to other stuff, but I hate the whole natural thing in regards to anything. We shouldn't be using animals to judge how we govern our lives. (They eat poop, guess we should too for food efficiency!) With that said, the fault in this case lies with the homophobes for bringing it up, forcing normal people to bring up how it happens in nature.