Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

SCOTUS to rule on prop 8 and DOMA on the morrow. Tune into scotusblog for the best coverage.

http://www.scotusblog.com/

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...-prop-8/66573/

Three months to the day after the justices heard historic arguments on California's Proposition 8 and the Defense of Marriage Act, and on the last of its decision days for an already historic Spring term, the Supreme Court will rule on the two same-sex marriages cases on Wednesday, Chief Justice John Roberts announced on the second-to-last day, minutes after issuing the majority opinion on the Voting Rights Act. Yes, after none of the first 73 decisions were the ones perhaps more people were waiting for than even the VRA or Monday's affirmative action ruling, the wait will finally be over — and June 26, 2013 officially becomes one of the most important dates in America's difficult history with civil rights, whether the tea leaves prove true with a chaotic split, or whether that history is instantly definitive.

The announcement came on Tuesday, after the Court issued what the NAACP called "a step backwards in the march towards equal rights." But the penultimate decision day has tended to be when Roberts, in his time as the chief, announces that the following day will indeed be the last, and with just three cases left on the docket, Prop. 8 and DOMA must be among the final boxes. As the always reliable SCOTUSblog reported:

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Oh god, I'm going to be awake until they announce this and then either drinking in celebration or until I kill my liver.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I think today is going to be a lot more limited and boring than most people expect, sadly.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Best bet is to be pessimistic so you don't get depressed later.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Yep, limited to federalism grounds. Fucking pussies.

Edit 1: So, I am not a lawyer. Is "careful consideration" a new standard, or a level of scrutiny that already exists?

Edit 2: Fucking Roberts. Said there was no standing. Fucking huge pussy.

So DOMA just ruled unconstitutional.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Glenn Beck tears

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Aww snap. Go supreme court! For once.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Supreme Court upholds right of gay people to marry, allows corporations to vote with money.

DOES NOT COMPUTE

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Aww snap. Go supreme court! For once.
    Don't get too happy, it barely does anything except helping those in states where it is already legal. It's helpful, but it's a weak and pathetic cop-out for the most part.

Fucking Scalia is a total douchebag.
    The Court's opinion both in explaining its jurisdiction and its decision "both spring from the same diseased root: an exalted notion of the role of this court in American democratic society."
    Edit: Going to dismiss Prop 8 on standing. God these guys are totally fucking pathetic.

"Oh god, we don't want to decide anything, so we are going to run away and hide now!"

Remit One (1) Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Qeomash Pandemonium
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Asura

They haven't ruled on Prop 8 just yet.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Qeomash View Post
    They haven't ruled on Prop 8 just yet.
    Language in DOMA decision has already indicated the decision in the Prop 8 case.

Page 4 of hte Roberts DOMA dissent, talking about Prop 8: "We hold today that we lack jurisdiction to consider it in the particular context of Hollingsworth v. Perry."
    Apparently Scalia is going to be ranting about the injustice of all of this for a while. He is the most activist judge on the court by far and conservatives act like he is some bastion of constitutional stability.

BG Level

What's wrong with them dismissing Prop 8, just out of curiosity?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    It is a very limited ruling. They aren't deciding it on the merits, they are basically just passing on making a decision. They could have easily decided on the merits of the case. There is nothing that prevents them from doing so besides their own opinions. If they were going to do that to begin with they should have just not heard the case at all. Hearing the case THEN passing it back is a very weak move.

Un-Rad Conrad
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    It's a win (Prop 8 is unconstitutional per the lower courts) but it doesn't advance anything or promote any discourse.

edit: never mind, they remanded it to the lower court (meaning the Ninth Circuit will be reviewing it again).

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

What I want to know (and I think this will be the case), does this mean that if you live in Nebraska, then go to New York to get married, you should still get the federal benefits of being married even if you don't get the Nebraska benefits because they don't recognize the marriage?

BG Level

I think that's how it reads. Good luck in Nebraska though.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Umm, the Ninth Circuit decision in the Prop 8 case was actually vacated and remanded. I honestly don't know the what the previous decision to the Ninth Circuit was. Was it the CA Supreme Court? I think that means that Prop 8 is still struck down, but we will need to check on it.

Edit: The decision about this was all over the place because it was solely about standing and nothing about the merits.

BG Level

The ninth circuit decision ruled that it was unconstitutional.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

This is a win for accountants and lawyers.. I love complicated tax issues..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast