BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

FFXIV

Is there, or are there plans for a FFXIV wiki?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Good question. What are the sources so far? I assume there are other planned wikis out there already.

The Syrup To Waffles's Waffle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cair Bear
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

There has been some discussion in passing, but nothing tangible to my knowledge. It would be quite the project to undertake, but I imagine if there were sizable interest combined with a reasonable core of dedicated people to get it started, it might just become a thing.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I know our initial plan back in 1.0 was to pick someone else's site to support. But then, of course, 1.0 was shit.

At this point are there any active sites out there that people have found decent?

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

At the moment, there are no plans to make a FFXIV wiki. First, we could not even make any promises without access to an equivalent of POLUtilis. Second, this site is going to be infinitely more versatile compared to a wiki. This reason is similar to why we outsourced certain information handling to FFXIDB. Different types of sites handle certain data better.

The only obvious defects with the site include stuff they haven't completed. As is, they lack public editing necessary to detail quests and add lore related content. Furthermore, they lack statistical analysis that FFXIDB provides. I'm not mentioning these to knock them because we haven't see their fully developed site. They are points worth addressing though since I'm suggesting that this would ultimately benefit users more than a wiki.

That said, I am curious to learn how they're mining for and adding data to their site.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Infinitely more versatile seems like a bit of an exaggeration. You pointed out some of the advantages of a wiki in the very same post. For example, if they add public editing, then their site will essentially become a wiki.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Looks more like a database than a wiki (Think FFXIAH). Wikis only become semi-competent databases with Semantic Forms extension and even our current wiki doesn't have that because of some coding conflict. As I understand, wiki can hardly mold itself to meet the filtering and graphical demands that website offers. Especially, the wardrobe feature.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I've registered for FFXIVdb.com and it's certainly useful but I do think the XIV community is crying out for an uptodate wiki. Whether of course that's practical or desirable for BG to do, I don't know. It looks like you can comment on the xivdb which is helpful but not edit.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I'll see if I can contact the owner and figure out their plans.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Claire Farron
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I think at the very least we could probably do a wiki for theorycrafting and endgame strategies. Keep it laser focused and clean.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Burningthought View Post
    I think at the very least we could probably do a wiki for theorycrafting and endgame strategies. Keep it laser focused and clean.
    To me this makes the most sense.

XIVDB seems as though it can fill the void of a wiki, looking up recipes, items, weapons, quests, etc; however, those devs have to decide if that is the route they want to take. The question is though, do we really need a wiki with quest and story mission information fully fleshed out? In XI I remember using the wikis to find quests for specific items, figuring out where to go, but in XIV the game essentially does all of that for you. At this point any Wiki for quests would be best used for telling you what NPC to talk to for beginning a certain quest. There isn't really a need for a step by step guide. It'd be a waste of time.

If any sort of wiki were to exist it would be more beneficial to list various strategies for dungeons, PvP, and raids. Theorycrafting could be useful, but it might be best to leave that to the forums because of the fact that players won't always agree.

Now the only concern you might have is if if you're wanting to build a wiki that you want a lot of traffic to. If you create a wiki with limited information some users may go to another wiki that decides to have as much content as possible. Also, we all know that people will eventually just copy and paste from one wiki to another. With that said, BG already has a userbase established, so that probably wouldn't be an issue for a BG wiki. Although, I could certainly see it as an issue for people to complain about.

As for what's already out there for XIV resources.

www.xivdb.com
    www.xivmodels.com
    www.xivpads.com

All of which are related and using similar software.

There's also all of these,

www.eorzeapedia.com - Wiki resource
    www.eorzeareborn.com - Guides?
    http://ffxiv.zam.com/wiki/ - Wiki
    http://www.disciplesoftheland.com/ - Wiki focusing on DoL?
    http://orcz.com/Category:Final_Fanta...A_Realm_Reborn - Wiki

and Gamebreaker announced a community site they're working on,

www.xivnation.com

I suppose /r/ffxiv on Reddit has a wiki page as well, but it's far from what players might actually find useful.

Now I'm sure there is even more sites out there, but it seems as though the all encompassing wiki is being taken care of by several places. Although, from what I've seen of some of them so far I can't say I'm too impressed of their layout/design. The only one that I'm actually interested in succeeding is XIVDB, but I just hope they aren't spreading themselves too thin having three sites at once.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

One of the problems with doing a wiki for ARR is that there are a lot of things which are answered very directly by the game itself. For example, missions and quests are incredibly straightforward compared to FFXI, with the target destinations shown precisely on your map, and so something like destination coordinates or NPCs to which you need to speak aren't really relevant. As said above, there are some specific uses I can see it being helpful for, but not to the same extent as a wiki helps with FFXI.