+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    Duh? Because the labor isn't worth that much. That's not really taking advantage.
    If they're making a profit, the labor is worth more than what they're paying, and guess what? Fast food makes a ton of profit.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Come on guys, $20 is more than enough to stock your medical kit with bandaids, asprin, and a bottle of booze every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Come on guys, $20 is more than enough to stock your medical kit with bandaids, asprin, and a bottle of booze every month.
    What kind of shitty booze are you drinking to make that budget work?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by GoggleHead View Post
    It's like choose your own adventure books, except this time with your favorite brand of plastic jug vodka! If you choose Popov, turn to page 32.

Quote Originally Posted by GoggleHead View Post
    First Aid is like cooking, you just get the bargain kind and pour that whiskey in your wounds!

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

skol vodka of course

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Also any place that you're not going to need heat in you better fucking believe you'll need AC. Even here in Maryland the winters are cold enough to need a little heat on beyond wearing heavy clothes+blankets.
    I live in NJ. Winters suck, but are easily survivable without heat with a good heavy blanket. Summers are no big deal with a decent fan. I think you're confusing needs with wants. You can't really expect to be comfortable working minimum wage.

They are, because the people being paid sub-minimum wage become the problem of the public when crime increases, poverty lays waste to neighborhoods and hunger/homelessness spike resulting in the gov't using your tax dollars to subsidize programs to take care of these people.

This is all while companies and those invested in them can collect the windfalls of shouldering labor costs.
    So the government should help them, instead of shifting the burden to someone else.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

McCormick's Vodka, choice of bums everywhere. You know it's bad when glass bottles aren't even available, plastic only.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

cream soda pays for his own electricity?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    cream soda pays for his own electricity?
    He just hooks his bike up to a car battery and peddles away.

I live in NJ. Winters suck, but are easily survivable without heat with a good heavy blanket. Summers are no big deal with a decent fan. I think you're confusing needs with wants. You can't really expect to be comfortable working minimum wage.
    Thats fine for NJ then I guess, what about Michigan/Maine or Nevada/Arizona? I lived in update NY and during winter you'd have to wear more then a blanket or two to keep you warm not to mention gloves/boots/facemask/hat, now down here in MD the heat is fucking terrible and it's not even as bad as it could be. Plus its all fine and dandy if you're 18-28, but if you happen to be in your mid to late 30s or so then it gets even worse to cope.

So the government should help them, instead of shifting the burden to someone else.
    Government helping them = we're the ones helping them = more of your taxes towards that shit. Not to mention these companies are usually getting tax incentives and shit to build in these communities in the 1st place. So we end up paying again for the taxes we arnt collecting off them.

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    Just keep in mind that card, just as a guesstimate, has a working week of about 25-30 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Depends on what min wage is, if going by the 7.25 on the gov website, that's 38 hours a week.
    Eh? I'm not getting the math here. Am I missing something?

Assuming both jobs are min. wage jobs, and a min wage of $8/hour, it looks like this:

- $2060 total income between both jobs
    - $8/hour min wage
    - $2060/8 = 257.5 hours worked for the month.
    - The budget sample assumes an average of 30 days/month
    - 257.5/30 = 8.58 hours/day, on average

Or, 60 hours a week.

I'm guessing you guys must only be including the McDonald's part of the wages to get those figures? Odds are though, if McDonald's is where you're getting most of your hours, your second job probably isn't much better in wages.

This is all using after-tax income too, by the way.

If you put that amount of income into federal tax brackets & RI's state tax brackets (for example), without claiming allowances, you would have to earn $2,785/month before-tax to end up with ~$2060 after tax.

Which, by the way, would require working 80 hours/week.

And yeah, you'd have a minimum of a good $1.5-2k tax refund that isn't accounted for there, but people don't typically have or space out tax refunds into a piece of the monthly budget.

Some shady numbers being used here for income (not just expenses).

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

What's minimum wage in America? I mean, yeah, that sheet suggests rather horrible pay for working 60-80 hours a week, but I can see that being completely manageable. Food I'd guess is included in the "Other" category, and knowing how cheap food is in America, $100 for a month seem completely manageable if you make the food from scratch. In Sweden $100 would barely even last you a week unless you don't eat anything but noodles.

At Mc. Donalds in Sweden, you make $13,6 an hour is you're above 19 and just started out. On top of that, you make an additional $2,4 an hour if you work after 7 PM on weekdays, Saturdays after 4 PM, or any Sunday. If you work any day between 2 AM and 6 AM, you get an additional $2 an hour on top of the $2,4 an hour. So if you work every day between 2 and 6 AM, you'd effectively make $18 an hour, which is $504 a week or $2160 a month. You'd also only work 28 hours a week, but of course, you'd also turn your day around. On normal 9-5 day with an hour lunch working Monday to Friday you'd instead make $544 a week or roughly $2393,6 a month. You wouldn't work every day, but would work 40 hours a week instead of 28 hours a week. But you would also have your weekends free, as well. It's all up to you, really, either one works. It's not the best job in the world, but you can get by on it.

In comparison, the average Swede male makes something like $4600 a month.

Edit: Actually, I think those numbers are wrong for Mc. Donalds, that's from back in 2007, I think it's slightly higher now. I think it's $15 an hour if you're above 19 and just starting out.

Problem though is that they rarely hire people above 18, since they only have to pay like $9/hr if you're under 19. You'll rarely see anyone above 25, as that's the next minimum wage bracket increasing the hourly pay even more.

Honestly though, $1105 a month working full-time is pretty sad. That's not even enough to cover my rent each month.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Duh? Because the labor isn't worth that much. That's not really taking advantage.
    Sounds like a nonrealistic view of the free market. Low wages and employment issues do have real impact on a number of social issues and situations that are involved. Business that pay minimium wage seem to be pretty much expecting the government and the tax payers to take on the burden they are unwilling to take, low paying jobs leading to more need for government welfare programs and well as other things that poverty brings about that's more expense to everyone just because the companies are not willing to take some extra burden.

It's been proven enough times through action that if given a company the right to write their own rules entirely on their own without at least some modest regulations, they will generally break everyone of them if it will save them a few bucks.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Well minimum wage is around 7.25 an hour, which may be slightly higher if the states minimum wage is higher than federal.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Draginhikari View Post
    Sounds like a nonrealistic view of the free market. Low wages and employment issues do have real impact on a number of social issues and situations that are involved. Business that pay minimium wage seem to be pretty much expecting the government and the tax payers to take on the burden they are unwilling to take, low paying jobs leading to more need for government welfare programs and well as other things that poverty brings about that's more expense to everyone just because the companies are not willing to take some extra burden.

It's been proven enough times through action that if given a company the right to write their own rules entirely on their own without at least some modest regulations, they will generally break everyone of them if it will save them a few bucks.
    Alternatively they lessen the need because more people will have jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzor View Post
    What's minimum wage in America? I mean, yeah, that sheet suggests rather horrible pay for working 60-80 hours a week, but I can see that being completely manageable. Food I'd guess is included in the "Other" category, and knowing how cheap food is in America, $100 for a month seem completely manageable if you make the food from scratch. In Sweden $100 would barely even last you a week unless you don't eat anything but noodles.
    $100 MIGHT be doable but you're gonna need a lot of coupons among other things and if you're working 80hrs a week you dont exactly have all the time in the world to go shopping for deals, cut coupons, shop for bargains and shit. A lb of ground meat on sale around here is $4/lb, I would venture to say you'd probably end up spending $2-3 per meal on the very low end and if you eat 3 meals a day you're about double that $100 in 30 days.

Tell Foxconn that shit works.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

More people having jobs at a low pay rate does not connect to less welfare. There are many situations where people works these kind of low pay jobs and still end up taking welfare at the same time because it's not realistic in the United State to live on the type of wage due to all the expectations for transportation, hygiene, health costs, etc all come down to that McDonald's does not have a realstic expectation for..

How would abolishing the minimium wage help this in the slightest?

I am by far the worst poster in most threads, including Olroy and Mazmaz. I go from 0 to Mad in 0.6 seconds. Also, 8==============D
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

how is it that cream soda is the only one in this thread to mention room mates?

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Draginhikari View Post
    More people having jobs at a low pay rate does not connect to less welfare. There are many situations where people works these kind of low pay jobs and still end up taking welfare at the same time because it's not realistic in the United State to live on the type of wage due to all the expectations for transportation, hygiene, health costs, etc all come down to that McDonald's does not have a realstic expectation for..

How would abolishing the minimium wage help this in the slightest?
    How does it not? If someone is primarily supported by a spouse/family/etc, then making $5/hr isn't really a problem. Perhaps their spouse doesn't really make enough on their own to support both of them, but the little extra money gives them enough for what they need.

How about if someone loses their job, having the option of working for $4/hr until they find something better will make it significantly easier to stay afloat in the mean time than if they weren't making anything.

Let's not forget too that even if it doesn't affect the amount of welfare needed, having any job can still greatly improve the quality of life for people compared to not having any job. This is especially true for the people who most commonly make minimum wage: teenagers with no real expenses.

Tell Foxconn that shit works.
    No one in the US will work for china level wages. There comes a point where it's just not worth working. And that point will be much higher here than in china.