+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Acevalefor View Post
    Protip for the good of this thread: Do not talk about wage and hour regulations with hey. He doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.
    ^ I've tried explaining it to him before, he refuses to even have a clue about this shit. Even when I showed proof of how they can afford to pay more he still doesn't get it.

I don't see why it's ok to let your workers be on welfare while the top of the pyramid has private jets. I know that it would be almost impossible to regulate but I really really would like to see some law where the top has to pay massive tax penalties (to pay for the welfare of their lower workers) if they make a certain percentage more than their workers. And get tax breaks if they are under and pay their workers a lot.

Something ANYTHING needs to be done to curb the mass split between the 1% and the rest of the country. And while minimum wage isn't perfect, it's definitely a start (and a lot easier to implement what I said above).

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I would actually support something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    I would actually support something like that.
    ^ Same, but then you'll have all these people chomping about how people just want a piece of the pie they dont deserve because they are lazy!

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    ^ Same, but then you'll have all these people chomping about how people just want a piece of the pie they dont deserve because they are lazy!
    ya but who gives a shit about those idiots?

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    ya but who gives a shit about those idiots?
    Sadly a lot of them have seats in congress and the senate, or just pay off people who have those seats :\

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I dunno, if I get into Med school everyone else is who I really want to help. There's enough doctors for the 'idiots'.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

What is a bit interesting, is that with the whole "2 jobs at minimum wage" deal...

$7.25/hr * 72 hours a week * 52 weeks a year is $27,144 a year.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._US_income.png

Just sneaking in below average.

BG Level

If you work two full-time minimum wage jobs year round you crack 30k a year.

I'm not really making a point with this, just interesting that minimum wage full time gets you more than halfway to the average american's income.

But how much is the average person making 30k a year actually worth when you factor in benefits+time off and perks and such? I know I make 40k/yr but my value is like 60k due to all the perks.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    But how much is the average person making 30k a year actually worth when you factor in benefits+time off and perks and such? I know I make 40k/yr but my value is like 60k due to all the perks.
    Man, there's all kinds of benefits for working at McDonalds! One week of PTO per year (after 2 years of employment), health insurance, all that swag yo.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/careers/benefits.html

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Those benefits are almost assuredly for the management level of the stores, not the employees making the minimum wage, and even then, only for the salaried managers.

This is probably where they're getting that "$20 Health Insurance" quote from earlier in the thread (I think someone mentioned this though)
    http://www.mcstate.com/careers/mcdon..._program/3471/

This is probably the most tangible list of benefits the minimum wage worker can expect
    http://www.mcstate.com/careers/benefits/3471/

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Man, there's all kinds of benefits for working at McDonalds! One week of PTO per year (after 2 years of employment), health insurance, all that swag yo.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/careers/benefits.html
    *Subject to availability and certain eligibility requirements and restrictions. Talk to your local franchise owner or restaurant manager to learn more.
    lol so yeah probably only for management or upper people. Also 1 week PTO after 2 years? Shit I get 2 weeks after working here for 1 month + sick days and personal days. #swagswag

Free Uniforms
    Each team member is provided with uniforms.
    At least they do that, so many shit jobs I worked required us to pay for our uniforms too

BG Level

yo i'm not seriously arguing that mcdonalds has good benefits lol

I like to eat food
    BG Level

If you work two full-time minimum wage jobs year round you crack 30k a year.

I'm not really making a point with this, just interesting that minimum wage full time gets you more than halfway to the average american's income.
    Then take out 1/3 of it for taxes/SS/etc.

As far as $20 for insurance, you'd have to get lucky and have a no contribution healthcare plan to get anything like that. I remember working as a cashier at Stop & Shop when I was in high school. Made minimum wage and thought it was great to have so much money to spend; a whopping $150-200 a week check. I couldn't imagine living on that now. In fact I make significantly more and still find I need to budget better.

The problem is that even when the minimum wage goes up so will the cost of living. Minimum wage is not going to go up so much that we'd see a significant increase over a couple years because of what was stated before; those larger companies will have their lobbyists and pocket politicians to keep the minimum wage low enough that they still make their ridiculous sums.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    Then take out 1/3 of it for taxes/SS/etc.
    lol

out of someone making 30k a year?

no

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Did anyone consider that the McD's budget on food probably implied you're eating McD's with your employee discount all day er'ry day? I only got half way through page 2 before I got bored lol

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    The problem is that even when the minimum wage goes up so will the cost of living.
    But the bigger problem is even when minimum wage doesn't go up, the cost of living still does.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

lol

out of someone making 30k a year?

no
    Last FY I made 30k salary on paper but turned out to be ~$21,700 with about $1500 total in tax returns. They do take a fuckin' fair amount out dude

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Xajii View Post
    Last FY I made 30k salary on paper but turned out to be ~$21,700 with about $1500 total in tax returns. They do take a fuckin' fair amount out dude
    Definitely depends on your state too. When I was in CT (keep in mind like 10 years ago) and subbed, I got jack shit taken on out of my check. But then I'd get like a $3 tax refund lmfao. Then when I subbed in Cali, it seemed like almost half was getting taken out in taxes, but then I'd end up with a $600-$800 refund.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast