Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Debating getting one for my gf, right now I just plug my laptop into her TV through an hdmi to watch Netflix/YouTube but sooner or later I'm gonna have to take the laptop home.

Worth it for that?
    Greatest thing I've purchased for the gf and I. It's so fuckin awesome just chilling in bed and picking movies from the phone Netflix app. Also used it to play music on the TV/audio system for parties.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I think I' gonna buy like 1 or two more of these things and set up a GHz router to handle it all. I absolutely love this thing and it's only gonna get better. How do I know? Because Google.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

so has anyone tried casting a local video from the chrome browser on your pc? what is the file compatibility like? is there any extensions for chrome that extend that compatibility list(someone mentioned plex or something but im pressed for time have to run for work)?

seriously considering buying one of these if i can stream local content as well.

also heard there were a couple apps that allowed you to stream local content from devices that were disabled went the sdk went live. have these apps been recoded to work or did they write restrictions into the sdk that prevent them from working?

the apps are less important to me if the casting from a chrome browser works well

Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

I had a mp4 of a "home video" I watched via chromecast.

Only challenging part was figuring out how to get the "open" command, as there are no physical hotkeys for it on chrome. Tip: you press ctrl + o.

Quality was superb and seamless

Quote Originally Posted by Cliron View Post
    I had a mp4 of a "home video" I watched via chromecast.

Only challenging part was figuring out how to get the "open" command, as there are no physical hotkeys for it on chrome. Tip: you press ctrl + o.

Quality was superb and seamless
    You can just drag and drop the file into the browser also, but unfortunately the file type support is lacking.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yea, I can't get .avi's to work which accounts for well over half of my torrents.

No .mkv support screws me :/

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/10/g...aming-arsenal/

For users of Google's $35 Chromecast dongle, the inclusion of HBO Go was pretty much the final piece of the holy streaming trifecta (the others being Netflix and Hulu Plus). Now, however, Google's opting for quantity over quality and adding ten new apps to its Chromecast-friendly suite. So what's in that grab bag of apps? Well, beyond just supporting its own Chrome browser, Google's now made media casting easier by supporting Plex, RealPlayer Cloud and Avia. But there's also a host of music and video content hubs, like Revision3, VEVO, Red Bull.TV, Viki, Songza, PostTV and BeyondPod, that can now cast straight to your HDTV. Don't fret if you're not seeing the apps update just yet -- Google's said the roll out should take place over the "next few days."

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Never used Plex until yesterday when I heard the news about Chromecast working with it and after hearing the anticipation from this thread. Made an account and got it set up last night. It works great! Can finally cast over all the kids shows to their bedroom and not have to convert files.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Totien View Post
    Never used Plex until yesterday when I heard the news about Chromecast working with it and after hearing the anticipation from this thread. Made an account and got it set up last night. It works great! Can finally cast over all the kids shows to their bedroom and not have to convert files.
    Chromecasting Plex only works if you pay for their subscription service. Their wording of it is "[Chromecast] currently requires a Plex Pass subscription", so I'm hopeful they'll offer it for free sooner rather than later.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I haven't looked into this to much, but does anyone know if chromecast and associated programs are blocked in other countries like they are normally?

Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

Chromecast itself cant be blocked I dont think (its not sold in Ireland, yet people are importing them and using them)

And the region specific content can be easily fixed with this (SUPER EASY) chrome/firefox/whatever extension: https://hola.org/

Just click the button next to the toolbar, and tell it what country you want it to pretend to be.

=Watching 4oD (UK) shows in the USA; USA netflix/hulu in Ireland; HBOGo in Ireland etc.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

dude...

you rock. ^^

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lucki View Post
    Chromecasting Plex only works if you pay for their subscription service. Their wording of it is "[Chromecast] currently requires a Plex Pass subscription", so I'm hopeful they'll offer it for free sooner rather than later.
    Not at all true. I'm using the free version and it works fine.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Unless something's changed in the last day or so, both their product description on Google Play and their blog indicate that you need a PlexPass subscription (for the moment, but that they indicate that it'll be free soon). I'll test it when I get home.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

http://www.androidcentral.com/chrome...-movies-tv-web

Building on its recent expansion of supported apps, Chromecast will now interact with Google Play on the web for Music, Movies and TV shows. Similar to what we've seen happen in the new Youtube player, you'll now find a "Cast" button in the web interface for these two Google Play properties, making it simple to send content from your computer to the Chromecast.

In order for this functionality to work, you'll need to have the "Google Cast" Chrome extension installed to your browser, and then look for the Cast button in Play Music or Play Movies & TV. The option showed up for us after a refresh of the Google Play Music page, and worked right away. Note that the Chromecast won't respond to your computer's system volume, but rather the volume slider in the web page, found next to the Cast button.

It's one more step in making both the Chromecast and the Play Store on the web more powerful, and we love having multiple choices when it comes to pushing content from one screen to another.
    This is huge (for me) as my wife buys some shows from the Play Store and it can sometimes be finicky scrubbing around or rewinding. Also I do Play Music All Access, and that should be pretty friggen sweet.

Can you detail your setup? I'm on the free version of everything (except the Android app of course) and it does not work. (Which from my understanding it is not supposed to.) (yet.)

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    Can you detail your setup? I'm on the free version of everything (except the Android app of course) and it does not work. (Which from my understanding it is not supposed to.) (yet.)
    I'm running Plex for Android 3.2.2.64 and Plex Media Server 0.9.8.14.263-139ddbc (just updated it today). This is the message I get when trying to Chromecast:

I have no problem casting Netflix or HBOGo (only two apps I've tried so far).

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Why are you trying to cast from your Android? Just log in to your plex account in google chrome on the computer you're running the server from and cast that tab.

Edit: I suppose if you're trying to use the chromecast anywhere but home, you're gonna have a bad time.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Why are you trying to cast from your Android? Just log in to your plex account in google chrome on the computer you're running the server from and cast that tab.

Edit: I suppose if you're trying to use the chromecast anywhere but home, you're gonna have a bad time.
    Why wouldn't I try and cast from my phone? My Chromecast is hooked up to the TV in my bedroom, and rather than using my computer (in another room) or laptop (don't really feel like having it in the bed with me) I cast from my phone. I know that I can cast Plex, or any other tab I choose, from my desktop, but that's not something that I want to do in this situation. Every other mobile app I've cast from my phone (Netflix/HBOGo/YouTube/etc.) I've had no playback issues with.

This currently seems to be just a minor inconvenience with Plex right now. If it was really bothering me, I'd just hook my Roku back up and Plex from there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast