• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Totien View Post
    Why are you trying to cast from your Android? Just log in to your plex account in google chrome on the computer you're running the server from and cast that tab.

Edit: I suppose if you're trying to use the chromecast anywhere but home, you're gonna have a bad time.
    Tab casting isn't always the smoothest thing in the world*, it makes much more sense to have the chromecast working directly with the plex server instead of having another step in the middle.

* for many, it's always been fine for me

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    Tab casting isn't always the smoothest thing in the world*
    * for many, it's always been fine for me
    Set up QoS on your router. I had problems at first too, only when I was gaming or downloading torrents though. I haven't had a problem since QoS was set up.

My desktop is in my bedroom, the chromecast is in the kids room. I think the only reason I'd cast from a phone is if/when I get another chromecast, but that probably won't happen until my living situation changes.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

So when you or your kids want to cast something, do you start the show/movie from your computer then quickly move to the kids room, or something else?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I generally don't watch TV with them unless I absolutely have to. Kids shows these days are too painful to watch. I cast it over there and play walking dead on VLC or something.

The only downfall I see with Plex and my setup is the inability to cast a full play list. I'd prefer to play shorter shows that are more educational than movies.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Five dollars off the Chromecast at Amazon right now, and an additional $5 off for Amazon Student members (code 7CGHXJ2C).

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Chromec...=vglnk-c422-20

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Awesome just bought it for $24 using that deal. Giving it to my boyfriend for Xmas because we watch stuff all the time but it sucks when Netflix doesn't have something.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Thanks for the bump, picked one up for myself just now.

Deal didn't go through ;(

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Did you enter the coupon code it at checkout before hitting the final order purchase thing? You have to apply it before. Says the deal is good until Feb 1
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=B00DR0PDNE

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/3/537...oogle-cast-sdk

Chromecast development is now open to all. Hopefully this means more apps will be compatible soon!

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I've been using Videostream for Chromecast to stream local videos from my PC.

this is a Chrome app/extension.
    Free and fast! :D

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

There was an update the other day that makes it so certain TV's remotes can now control some apps.
    http://gizmodo.com/you-can-now-contr...-re-1691821974

http://www.androidcentral.com/chrome...l-it-tv-remote
    And it was updated a while ago but hasn't been posted to the thread yet; Chromecast now supports android mirroring on the higher versions of droid. So you can directly display your phone on your tv. I've used it a few times to cast my workout apps.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

This might sound silly but I just picked one up, if I wanted to stream from my HTPC or the internet is Plex the only way to go?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Plex is more for local content, where you run the plex server on whatever machine on your network, tell it the folder of your vids, and use the plex app on your smart device to load up a vid through chromecast. Plex is pretty cool to just manage your local vids and view them on whatever device with the app (it can transcode quick as well if the server's machine is strong); doesn't have to be with your chromecast.

There's alternatives like localcast on android to interact with chromecast, which can cast local videos. If you install something like kodi/xbmc on your smartphone or tablet, there's a small edit you can do to one of its files that will make it use localcast as a viewer for streaming, which will then make the chromecast open the stream and play it (if it's using a supported codec). I've done this a fair bit but you take a gamble on the uploaded video being the right codec (chromecast does not support very many formats).

If you wanted a cheap stick that can stream on its own, you can load up kodi on amazon's firestick and use it outright (sideloading). Been trying this out and it's pretty damn wonderful, the stick's remote is perfect with it and the stick's app on android gives you a keyboard when you need it. Don't need prime to use the stick, and kodi lets you stream nearly anything.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

I'll add to what orinthia said regarding internet streaming... quite a number of video services have cast support built in: youtube, netflix, hulu, HBO, twitch and others. Start it up from your browser or phone, use the Google Cast extension (if on PC), and you can tell the chromecast to pick up the video stream directly (i.e. not mirroring through your pc/phone, directly from the internet).

Or even in a worst case scenario you can mirror any chrome tab (assuming you have decent hardware) and pop that directly on the screen as well.

BG Level

I plan on streaming from my server, since I'm on Fiber.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You're probably good to go then with plex. Give it a try and see how it goes. Even something like ES file explorer on android has a chromecast plugin, which can let you play local content from your phone (pics, music, vids) on your chromecast. A lot of stuff has chromecast streaming support; it's pretty versatile. Tab-mirroring while having chrome playing a video is really taxing though, but it works in a pinch.

If you haven't bought one, try looking on groupon for it. They sometimes carry refurbs for $20; other places may also carry refurbs as well. More than worth getting regardless.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

FWIW, I've used the Plex app to cast from my phone/tablet to my TV just fine.

BG Level

I'm wanting to cast from my PC.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The only thing that can cast from your pc is google's chrome browser either by casting the tab you're using or surfing to a supported website and using their casting features, otherwise you use an android or ios device with supported apps to interact with the chromecast.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast