Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Chromecast - Google's HDMI Streamer-majiggy

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If I can stream shit from my PC over to it, rather than just Android devices, this is potentially sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    If I can stream shit from my PC over to it, rather than just Android devices, this is potentially sexy.
    You can, but from the announcement seems like it's limited to youtube (from PC)... it's unclear if Netflix, Pandora etc would be able to do it from the PC (the iOS/android apps can).

It just seems limited compared to Airplay on iOS.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Isn't this possible using an HDMI cable from your laptop to the TV?

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    HDMI cable directly to the TV would actually be able to do more, since it's not app dependant of what can be shown on TV.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'm going to take a wild stab in the park that Google isn't marketing this to people who actually have a little bit of techy-ness.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

That is unless it can stream things other than it's providers stuff. Plex or other types of integration would be nice. Think of it as a rasberrypi for lazy people.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I would love to buy this for my parents to stream their movies, from their PC but it won't work

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Basically shits on all streaming devices and boxes like apple tv and even raspberry pi for less money and effort.

Good move.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Basically shits on all streaming devices and boxes like apple tv and even raspberry pi for less money and effort.

Good move.
    Huh... I don't see how. AirPlay is more functional, and XBMC on raspberry pi can pretty much play anything.

It will cost less and requires less effort, that true.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    Huh... I don't see how. AirPlay is more functional, and XBMC on raspberry pi can pretty much play anything.

It will cost less and requires less effort, that true.
    And still requires pc to stream while Apple TV can stream from nas and w/e

But still looks good

It's hard to go wrong with 35 dollar price tag, but I will wait until it supports HBOGO. I don't use apple devices, so the only way I can use the HBOGO to my TV is with my extra laptop i have HDMIed into the TV. I don't mind using my laptop by remoting in, but the wife bitches about not being able to use HBOGO and for some reason won't use teamviewer/logmein to use the laptop.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Don't like the fact that it needs to be plugged in via the USB port. Was hoping it could draw all the power it needed via the HDMI port.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yabby View Post
    It's hard to go wrong with 35 dollar price tag, but I will wait until it supports HBOGO. I don't use apple devices, so the only way I can use the HBOGO to my TV is with my extra laptop i have HDMIed into the TV. I don't mind using my laptop by remoting in, but the wife bitches about not being able to use HBOGO and for some reason won't use teamviewer/logmein to use the laptop.
    From Wired.com: "Likewise, if you’re running it in a browser, Amazon Instant video, Hulu, Rdio, and HBO Go all just work. As did video from Wired, Gawker media, and Flickr slideshows. We ran photos from Facebook fullscreen. We watched a live Flash stream of a Braves game on an extremely shady bootleg site that spawned approximately a gazillion Chrome windows in the background."
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/...th-chromecast/

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

This thing is *SEXY*. I got mine hooked up tonight, and considering the price tag ($11 if you got the netflix deal) it's a pretty cool piece of tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    I do that myself, and no doubt that's good functionality. But 1) this is wireless and 2) the laptop/computer is still available to do other things while a video (or tab) is casting. This feels more like the "Play To..." functionality in windows, a "hey I just found this cool video and I want to show it to folks real quick."

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    You can, but from the announcement seems like it's limited to youtube (from PC)... it's unclear if Netflix, Pandora etc would be able to do it from the PC (the iOS/android apps can).

It just seems limited compared to Airplay on iOS.
    Youtube, Netflix, and Google Music & Movies are already working. HBO Go is in the works, as is Pandora. Other providers (excepting probably Amazon) will probably give this a serious look. This is still very much an early product.. one that should (but is not guaranteed) to take off. If good developer support follows, it's going to be a KILLER device.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Any Chrome tab can be cast and so far that works well. There's an experimental feature for entire PC sharing, but it's not available for everyone yet. Phones/tables don't yet have screen sharing (just media streaming).

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    That is unless it can stream things other than it's providers stuff. Plex or other types of integration would be nice. Think of it as a rasberrypi for lazy people.
    Plex is still really slick for what it does (and I don't see myself stopping using it anytime soon) but I saw mention of someone working on a way to Chromecast your Plex contect from PC > TV. Plex on a Roku (for example) is still probably a better experience, but without any other streaming box this gives you pretty much the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post

Good move.
    There's still a place, IMO, for something a little more full-featured like a Roku or Apple TV, but when looking at price Chromecast is incredibly appealing. Google was incredibly smart about one thing. Dumb down the stick and use pre-existing hardware as the control mechanism. I think Roku needs to find a way to drop their prices by about $20... but I know they are already working off of very small margins.

Quote Originally Posted by nayaminfenrir View Post
    Don't like the fact that it needs to be plugged in via the USB port. Was hoping it could draw all the power it needed via the HDMI port.
    A lot of folks, including myself, misunderstood this to be completely powered from the HDMI. Fortunately my TV has a USB jack right beside that can power it just fine.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
    This thing is *SEXY*. I got mine hooked up tonight, and considering the price tag ($11 if you got the netflix deal) it's a pretty cool piece of tech.

I do that myself, and no doubt that's good functionality. But 1) this is wireless and 2) the laptop/computer is still available to do other things while a video (or tab) is casting. This feels more like the "Play To..." functionality in windows, a "hey I just found this cool video and I want to show it to folks real quick."

Youtube, Netflix, and Google Music & Movies are already working. HBO Go is in the works, as is Pandora. Other providers (excepting probably Amazon) will probably give this a serious look. This is still very much an early product.. one that should (but is not guaranteed) to take off. If good developer support follows, it's going to be a KILLER device.

Any Chrome tab can be cast and so far that works well. There's an experimental feature for entire PC sharing, but it's not available for everyone yet. Phones/tables don't yet have screen sharing (just media streaming).

Plex is still really slick for what it does (and I don't see myself stopping using it anytime soon) but I saw mention of someone working on a way to Chromecast your Plex contect from PC > TV. Plex on a Roku (for example) is still probably a better experience, but without any other streaming box this gives you pretty much the same thing.

There's still a place, IMO, for something a little more full-featured like a Roku or Apple TV, but when looking at price Chromecast is incredibly appealing. Google was incredibly smart about one thing. Dumb down the stick and use pre-existing hardware as the control mechanism. I think Roku needs to find a way to drop their prices by about $20... but I know they are already working off of very small margins.

A lot of folks, including myself, misunderstood this to be completely powered from the HDMI. Fortunately my TV has a USB jack right beside that can power it just fine.
    Since you have one answer this so I can know to buy it from my parents or not

Can I stream a video that runs vlc on my parents computer to that thing?

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Since you have one answer this so I can know to buy it from my parents or not

Can I stream a video that runs vlc on my parents computer to that thing?
    Today, no.

If VLC builds it in (and I think Google has to approve the app)... we might see this down the road. I'd be surprised if we didn't see a supported media player sometime in the next couple of months.

It's also possible to load a video into a chrome tab (if chrome can play it) and share that tab. However it's still officially a beta feature, and the framerate may suffer (especially on a larger or high-bitrate file). The Chromecast is still wireless, and could be subject to the speed and quality of your local network.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

I fucking want one. Nao.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Its gonna be nice to stop turning my torrents into mp4 for my dad's apple TV. The raspberry pi worked fine but this is so much simpler for the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucki View Post
    From Wired.com: "Likewise, if you’re running it in a browser, Amazon Instant video, Hulu, Rdio, and HBO Go all just work. As did video from Wired, Gawker media, and Flickr slideshows. We ran photos from Facebook fullscreen. We watched a live Flash stream of a Braves game on an extremely shady bootleg site that spawned approximately a gazillion Chrome windows in the background."
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/...th-chromecast/
    I stand corrected, that shit is bought.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast