+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox View Post
    When did Kuya become a militant gay?

Got to be pretty retarded to be upset about the pace of change in an institution that historically doesn't change and when it does its at a glaciers pace and with great consequences.

I'm sorry the head of a major religion doesn't want to shock the system so much that he risks splintering the church again.
    Militant doesn't mean what you think it means.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Actually it does in this context.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Don't disagree Kuya, take this opportunity to rock a sweet beret

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    what i'm asking is: does talk also include lobbying?
    Do I think the pope thinks that spending lots of time, effort, and money lobbying against gay rights is not what the church should be doing?

Yeah, that's what it sounds like.

I don't know how much control he has over the catholic church in America's lobbying apparatus, nor how much political capital he'll spend on the issue, but it sure sounds like he doesn't want that to be such a focus.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Requesting title change.

"Kuya on Pope: "Who am I to judge?""

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Do I think the pope thinks that spending lots of time, effort, and money lobbying against gay rights is not what the church should be doing?

Yeah, that's what it sounds like.

I don't know how much control he has over the catholic church in America's lobbying apparatus, nor how much political capital he'll spend on the issue, but it sure sounds like he doesn't want that to be such a focus.
    You might say he thinks that, but until he actually says it, it doesn't mean much to me.

The mistake i might be making is thinking that even if he wanted to stop church involvement in lobbying against lgbt issues, he doesn't have the authority to actually do anything about it.

For the time being though, i have to deal with this closeted catholic archbishop roaming parliament getting in the way of everything we try to do by scaremongeting politicians, while the archdiocese of one of our municipalities sends letters to all the parents from their catholic schools about how current lgbt legislation will make their kids gay if they don't stop it.

Fun stuff.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If you don't want to be treated as a second-class citizen then why do you live on second-class US land?

BG Level

?

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

i think it's a puerto rico joke

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    obligatory

Also, pope needs to put his money where his mouth is or shut up. "Step in the right direction" is bullshit. That's like Mel Gibson saying he doesn't hate Jews and then going off on his rant to the cop.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

The mistake i might be making is thinking that even if he wanted to stop church involvement in lobbying against lgbt issues, he doesn't have the authority to actually do anything about it.
    He doesn't really. The Pope isn't so much a king that gives demands, but a teacher who voices what's important. He does have a say in the appointment of bishops, so I would say if anything, that would be where his action should focus on finding those that are progressive.

Now, him saying these things is helpful. imo

While I am not sitting down at bishop meetings, I imagine many may want to go along with the Pope out of principle that in theory that's what they are supposed to do. As well, it seems like there are many bishops who were either on the fence about some of these issues, or flat out upset by them. This is a great support for them to help turn the tides.

But for those that disagree, they can just smile and nod, and keep supporting what they are supporting.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    Oh. Well. I guess it was kinda neato. In hindsight.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

We'll see. Francis is the Catholic Obama right now so lets see if he follows through on all those promises and positions made. My inner cynic can't help but notice that this new popes message comes just as the Church was hitting a rough patch of Benedict-era fail and needed to reset itself on the global stage.

If Francis can manage to convince the sheep that atheists aren't coming to eat their children and gay people aren't subhuman scum then more power to him. The followers would be better off marching to this tune than that of the Santorums of the world. Perhaps they might even be compelled to evaluate their faith.

Popes infallible anyway so....

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

American government is lead and lobbied by Catholics? The fuck? I thought the Protestants shat all over the place there. Or do they do it differently in PR.

BG Level

Catholics and protestants take equal turns shitting on the lgbt community here.

I think the point is that the Christian Right is predominantly not Catholic.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    obligatory

Also, pope needs to put his money where his mouth is or shut up. "Step in the right direction" is bullshit. That's like Mel Gibson saying he doesn't hate Jews and then going off on his rant to the cop.
    No. Just no

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    I think the point is that the Christian Right is predominantly not Catholic.
    In Puerto Rico the majority is catholic.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Sounds like you got an ethnic problem not a religious one

Mexico City has legalized abortions and gay marriage. Take a stab at what the majority religion is there

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

In Puerto Rico the majority is catholic.
    Since I don't know much about PR, do you know how much they tend to listen to the higher ups?

Honestly, your best bet, if you wanted to do anything about this, is to talk to anyone you know who's an active catholic and ask them what they think about the pope. I think a lot of change could be made simply by the regular people asking their priests about it, and challenging them.

But don't be a dick about it if ya do, because that's the easiest way to shut someone's ears off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast