+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    In Puerto Rico the majority is catholic.
    PR is a very, very different place than the rest of the US.

I would assume the Christian population is almost entirely Catholic to begin with.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox View Post
    Sounds like you got an ethnic problem not a religious one

Mexico City has legalized abortions and gay marriage. Take a stab at what the majority religion is there
    I don't understand why you responded with this. I wasn't talking to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Since I don't know much about PR, do you know how much they tend to listen to the higher ups?

Honestly, your best bet, if you wanted to do anything about this, is to talk to anyone you know who's an active catholic and ask them what they think about the pope. I think a lot of change could be made simply by the regular people asking their priests about it, and challenging them.

But don't be a dick about it if ya do, because that's the easiest way to shut someone's ears off.
    Public homophobic catholic figures have already commented on the news. They basically say he's merely reaffirming the stance of the church that they accept homosexuals but reject homosexuality.

http://www.elnuevodia.com/tomanconpi...o-1599825.html

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    PR is a very, very different place than the rest of the US.

I would assume the Christian population is almost entirely Catholic to begin with.
    Obviously, i wasn't talking about the US. I made an anecdote about how catholic clergy is interfering with pro lgbt legislation here, then jaybar made a comment about whether things are done differently in PR. Then you, for some reason, started talking about the US.

And no, protestants make up about 30% of the religious affiliation here, which is relatively large for a latin country.

No. Just no
    Yes. Just yes.

Spoiler: show
    Unlike you, I'll give more of a response than that, though: just because it is sexual orientation rather than religion doesn't mean it isn't bigotry all the same.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    I don't understand why you responded with this. I wasn't talking to you.

Militant gay etc

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

I wish that if you were trying to emulate church or fineass... you would at least do it right.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Emulate what?

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/09/...ommunion-84024

The Vatican has finally had enough of U.S. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi illogically insisting she’s a “good Catholic” while consistently supporting unrestricted abortion.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

In case anyone asked the immediately related question:

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/jimmy...know-and-share

2) Did the Cardinal say that Rep. Pelosi was excommunicated?
    No. He did make remarks that have a bearing on whether she should be admitted to Holy Communion, but he did not discuss her being excommunicated.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I thought this new administration was backing off the abortion thumping to tell us about how warm, liberal and welcoming Catholicism is?

Most American Catholics are nothing like their conservative overseas cousins anyway.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Lucky woman. I'd love to get excommunicated, and she manages to solely by standing up for women's rights? /jealous

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...or-change?lite Pope gives interview to atheist reporter, shits on the Vatican establishment.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

thats not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...or-change?lite Pope gives interview to atheist reporter, shits on the Vatican establishment.
    the link to his 2500 open letter reply for those interested, just click translate to english

BG Level

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/12/17...ef=world&_r=0&

Pope cans a couple dickhead cardinals obsessed with abortion and gay marriage, who denied communion to pro choice politicians.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

thats not enough

BTW fuck your link. I can't read it without a subscription

thats not enough

I won't shit on the Pope for making moves in the right direction, long as they keep coming. Here. Short and sweet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4459160.html

BG Level

thats not enough

Try this one.

http://m.jsonline.com/news/religion/...236134851.html

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    That one requires a subscription, too. Fortunately, source viewing and object replacing has come to the rescue.

Pope Francis on Monday removed two American-born cardinals — including former La Crosse Bishop Raymond Burke — from the Vatican's Congregation for Bishops, meaning the ultraconservative prelate will lose his influential role in the appointment of bishops in the United States.

Burke and retired Philadelphia Cardinal Justin Rigali were among more than a dozen members of the Vatican old guard who were removed from the 18-member congregation on Monday.

Among those appointed was Washington, D.C., Cardinal Donald Wuerl. While conservative, Wuerl is seen as a bridge-builder and less dogmatic than Burke, who has promoted the denial of communion to pro-abortion rights Catholic politicians and in recent interviews appeared to question the new pope's plans to reshape the Vatican bureaucracy known as the curia.

Monday's appointments are seen as the key to securing Francis' legacy.

"He is saying that you don't need to be a conservative to become a bishop," said Alberto Melloni, the director of the John XXIII Foundation for Religious Studies in Bologna, Italy, a liberal Catholic research institute. "He wants good bishops, regardless of how conservative or liberal they are."

Burke, a Wisconsin native popular with American conservatives, served as bishop of La Crosse from 1994 to 2003 and joined the Roman Curia in 2008. He serves as president of the Apostolic Signatura, the Vatican's highest court, and was appointed to the Congregation for Bishops by Pope Benedict XVI in 2009.

Burke came to the Vatican after serving as archbishop of St. Louis. He is a favorite of many conservative Catholics in the United States for his upholding of church rites and traditions favored by Pope Benedict. Burke's preference for the long train of billowing red silk known as cappa magna, and other such vestments, has, however, made him seem out of step with Francis, who has made it clear through example that he prefers more humble attire.

In a recent interview with EWTN, a U.S.-based Catholic cable network that spotlights conservative views, Burke questioned Francis' ability to reform the Vatican bureaucracy.

"The service of the Roman Curia is part of the very nature of the church, and so that has to be respected," Burke said.

"I can't imagine that somehow the Roman Curia is going to take on a completely different figure. It just doesn't make sense," Burke said. The interview was broadcast Thursday as the centerpiece of a program that highlighted concerns about the direction of the church since Francis was elected in March.

Francis' own top collaborators, namely a "kitchen cabinet" of eight cardinals he tapped to help him change the Vatican's Byzantine and often scandal-ridden ways, have said that the old curial system "is over," as one put it, and will be replaced by "something different."

In his EWTN interview, Burke reiterated his hard-line view on Communion, and he took pains to note that Francis' comments in his recent exhortation on the church, called "Evangelii Gaudium," were meant as "suggestions" and not as authoritative papal teaching.

Burke also echoed conservative concerns over the pontiff's effort to strike a "new balance" so that church leaders do not "obsess" over a few teachings like abortion and gay marriage. Instead, Francis wants them to speak more about the need to care for the poor and marginalized.

"One gets the impression, or it's interpreted this way in the media, that he thinks we're talking too much about abortion, too much about the integrity of marriage as between one man and one woman," Burke said. "But we can never talk enough about that!"

Annysa Johnson of the Journal Sentinel staff contributed to this report.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

this burke guy sounds like a closet gay.

but seriously, this dude Francis, I like. I'm no Catholic, but I'm glad he's the Papal big dawg.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Dem Jesuits.