BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Video Card     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Got bored, decided to see if nVidia updated their mobile drivers since my current one is three years old. Seems they did, downloaded the latest (Feb 2013), installed., and I'm now getting 30fps where it was 15fps prior with a screen full of idling player models murdering my CPU temperature.

Why the fuck didn't I check months ago. Can probably do alliance shit again without worries of overheating when it hits 90C+.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Heatsink View Post
    About the uncapping: I wrote a small utility to do it the same day SE added the fishing fps-changing patch -- I really was that fed up with the fps cap! -- http://pignax.com/pub/ffxi60fps_v0.01.7z Over one year ago now, and it's still working fine.

Around transparent effects like confluxes, the video card's fillrate actually starts to matter. A GTS250 wouldn't quite cut it at 2x background resolution, but a GTX280 can hold 60fps with a conflux taking up the entire screen.

On the PC, model loading is throttled by the framerate, so they will load twice as fast when uncapping to 60fps.

For ATI cards, it seems that they have yet to do a 'miracle patch' like nvidia did with its v256 driver. With the ATI cards I have available, the oldest one I have (X800XT) works just as well as the newest (X1950XTX), and the older the driver the better -- You need to go back to the year 2004 for best driver performance! I did a test a long time ago: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.htm...852733590&h=50.

In other words, Kohan knows what's true: neither ATI or Nvidia care about old games.
    Sorry for the attempt to revive an old thread. Is this still the best solution for uncapping FPS?

As for using the uncap option (instead of 60 FPS), How would I go about enabling v-sync for FFXI? Since it is not in the config (at least no the last time I checked). Should I create profile for FFXI for my video card? (have an EVGA card, the EVGA software has the ability to create profiles for specific games).

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yes, that is still the best option for uncapping FPS, and yes, you should force V-Sync in your GPU's settings.