Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
    Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Shaper's Shawl + Kitron skillup testing.

Hello all,

Because I hate myself, I've been curious for some time with regards to the effects of Kitron + Shaper's Shawl. In my Shaper's Shawl thread I quantified the percentage increase that the shawl enhances skillups. Kitron has been rumored to provide an increase to the skillup rate, and the general consensus has been that it does that plus reduces the break rate/item loss rate. I wondered if these two item's effects stacked.

There are four possible outcomes as I see it from using both at the same time:

The two items cancel each other out, meaning the skillup rate goes back to the same as if you had used neither item. Unlikely, but spaghetti code, etc.
    One item overwrites the effect of the other. Possible, but not really the desired outcome.
    The two effects stack, in an additive type situation. Most likely outcome.
    The two effect stack, but in a multiplicative type result. This would be the most desired outcome, but unlikely in my opinion.

In order to know the difference between additive and multiplicative, I need to quantify the exact percentage of what Kitron offers by itself, without the cape. This has led to some testing that can be found in the Kitron thread started by Cdgreg. That testing (like this) will be ongoing, and I will fill out the data set as I complete crafts.

Since the data I have for the Shaper's Shawl is for the sub-craft testing I did for 60-70, and since those levels most closely resemble the rate of skillups crafts see after 100 (no .2 or higher possible, overall rate is slower than it was prior to 50, etc), I will be mirroring the same testing here.

I won't be tracking any testing prior to 60, because quite frankly it's so easy, cheap, and fast to skillup, I can't be bothered.

When I PM's Byrth asking how many synths I had to do to determine if the result was option 3 (additive) or option 4 (multiplicative), he responded:

If you have a 25% chance of skilling up per synth and Kitron/Shawl were each +25% skillup rate then you'd either have a 37.5% (additive) or 39% (multiplicative) skillup rate. You'd need approximately 4000 synths to tell the difference between the two cases on average, and if you get unlucky you could need substantially more. Also, because you're experimentally determining the potency of Kitron, there's variance there too and you'd need precise values for everything. It's really just not a question that's reasonable to answer.
    4000 synths....

Yep, we're just going to have to be happy with knowing if they stack or not.

As before, the methodology is listed below, it is the same as in the Shaper's Shawl thread found here and the Kitron thread found here.

Methodology:

Spoiler: show

Two different characters on two different accounts, each one capped at same level.

Each character would start crafting at same time, on the same recipe. Why? This is mostly obvious.

It eliminates situational factors, like:

Day of the Week
    Direction (both faced same direction for every synth)
    Moon Phase (both started a new level at same time)
    It has been speculated that different recipes have different skillup rates. I don't know if it has any merit or not, but by using the same recipe, it eliminates this possibility. Furthermore, I am using the same recipes as I used in the Shaper's Shawl thread and will be using in the Kitron thread, for consistencies sake.
    Staying withing 5 levels of known recipe cap in order to give both characters a chance to skill up off breaks.
    (I don't believe in the direction stuff, but doing two characters at same time makes it easy to make the only variable the cape + Kitron)

No NPC synth support on either character at any time.

Each character stopped once a level was complete to wait for other character to catch up.

Slightly Specific results:

Character “G” (No Kitron, No Shawl)
    90 .1 skillups in total 350 total synths (25.71 % skillup rate)

Character “L” (Kitron, Shawl)
    90 .1 skillups in 219 total synths (41.09% skillup rate)

Smithing Specific results:

Nodowa:: 66 Cap & Hien:: 70 Cap

Alchemy Specific results:

Venom Dust:: 62 Cap, Venom Potion:: 68 Cap, & Paralysis Dust:: 72 Cap

Character "G" (No Kitron, No Cape)
    47 attempts to go 60 > 61
    46 attempts to go 61 > 62
    62 > 63 Omitted due to being more then 5 from cap on recipe and skillups not possible off breaks.
    51 attempts to go 63 > 64
    34 attempts to go 64 > 65
    26 attempts to go 65 > 66
    28 attempts to go 66 > 67
    35 attempts to go 67 > 68
    40 attempts to go 68 > 69
    43 attempts to go 69 > 70
    Total Synths: 350

Character "L" (Kitron, Cape)
    27 attempts to go 60 > 61
    19 attempts to go 61 > 62
    62 > 63 Omitted due to being more then 5 from cap on recipe and skillups not possible off breaks.
    27 attempts to go 63 > 64
    22 attempts to go 64 > 65
    27 attempts to go 65 > 66
    22 attempts to go 66 > 67
    22 attempts to go 67 > 68
    32 attempts to go 68 > 69
    21 attempts to go 69 > 70
    Total Synths: 219

Woodworking Specific results:

Tarutaru Fishing Rod:: 65 Cap, Demon Arrow:: 69 Cap, & Ancient Lumber:: 72 Cap

Bonecraft Specific results:

Demon Arrowhead:: 63 Cap (only did recipe to 61), Ladybug Ring:: 65 Cap, & Demon's Ring:: 70 Cap

Leathercraft specific results:

Tiger Leather:: 61 Cap, Battle Boots:: 66 Cap, & Coeurl Leather:: 71 Cap

Goldsmithing specific results:

Platinum Sheet:: 64 Cap, Platinum Earring:: 68 Cap, & Platinum Ring:: 70 Cap

Clothcraft specific results:

tl;dr

SMALL SAMPLE SIZE ALERT!!!

Too early to make any conclusions.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'd say it's early enough to strike out the first 2... but the second 2 yeah too early

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

You went from an average of 38.8 Synths for 9 levels over 350 Synths
    to an average of 24.3 synths for 9 levels over 219 Synths.

Might be too small sample to judge exact %'s.

However quite easily seen that you had to complete 37.4% LESS synths with shawl and kitron to level on average.

That average will more than likely be between 35-40% After a million synths.

Wich means you would potentially saved 100's of millions taking a craft to 110.

Well worth it.

What kind of number does Shawl show on it's own, and kitron on it's own?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Posting from phone, so can't quote links, but you can find them in the paragraph above "methodology" where it says here and here.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Thanks Buffy, i missed that sentence