1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 7 hours, 25 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 16 hours, 34 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 0 hours, 25 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 9 hours, 34 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing Compendium Thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I've only done ~4 locations but it seems you can get through 2/3 of the fishing log and then you get left with 1 or 2 stubborn blanks. Like in Limsa Lower, I had two blanks until I caught an anchovy then mooched it to catch a Blue Octopus. The other one I think must be from using mooch with the ocean cloud (at work, forget its exact name).

They need to add a tacklebox; FSH just blows up your inventory between all the bait and random fish + HQ fish taking up another spot.

At work, but I plan on spending a lot of time tonight fishing.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Keep in mind, a lot of blanks are either legendary fish or fish that require mooching. It's my birthday so I'm not writing shit up today but I will try to get a good guildleve list going come Sunday afternoon.

Siralin

May be misremembering the spelling, but I was able to catch River Crab and La Nocean Perch in Woad Whisper Canyon upon hitting 15.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I can't get on to my stupid full server so I'll be spreadsheeting for awhile. Expect an update/edit soon.

Siralin

How are you using Krill Cage Feeders Wulf? Aren't they 23 or something? Legacy? (Idk how that shit works even though I have a leg char, never used it in ARR.) Couple more fish to list, but I've pretty much stopped exploring so I don't lose out on the XP from first time catch.

Upper La N. - North Bronze Lake - Jade Eel, Pond Mussel, Four-eyed fish
    Coerthas - Coerthas Central - Coerthas River & Dragonhead Latrines - Striped Goby, Rainbow Trout

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Candlekeep Quay

Bait: Goby Ball (lvl10, ocean)

Pebble Crab
    Tiger Cod
    Moraby Flounder
    Vongola Clam

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Eastern Shrouds temple of the twelve- lvl20 fishing hole freshwater, River Crab and Acorn Snails was picking up with lvl15 freshwater bait

Was the job trait to detect low level watering hole working? I never noticed a difference discovering new ones before or after getting it.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Azat View Post
    Eastern Shrouds temple of the twelve- lvl20 fishing hole freshwater, River Crab and Acorn Snails was picking up with lvl15 freshwater bait

Was the job trait to detect low level watering hole working? I never noticed a difference discovering new ones before or after getting it.
    No I don't think it is.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Siralin View Post
    How are you using Krill Cage Feeders Wulf? Aren't they 23 or something? Legacy? (Idk how that shit works even though I have a leg char, never used it in ARR.) Couple more fish to list, but I've pretty much stopped exploring so I don't lose out on the XP from first time catch.

Upper La N. - North Bronze Lake - Jade Eel, Pond Mussel, Four-eyed fish
    Coerthas - Coerthas Central - Coerthas River & Dragonhead Latrines - Striped Goby, Rainbow Trout
    I'm 50 FSH legacy with Rod of the Luminary! The Krill Cage Feeders are expensive (~480G per and it's not a lure) and the fishing motion is really different than most baits. It's kind of tough to tell when you have a fish on the line, particularly when you are stealthed.

Mooch is so damn random as well. I've gone two hours without it procing once. From what I've seen and read:

A) Only certain types of fish are moochabe
    B) The fish has to be HQ to be mooched
    C) If A and B are met, you have a random chance of mooch procing

I caught and HQ anchovy, mooch proced, then caught a blue octopus. I proceeded to catch several other HQ achovies with no mooch. I have caught dozens of HQs of other types of fish as well, but only had a handful of mooches.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    No I don't think it is.
    If you don't have the trait for the requisite fishing hole threshold, you get the message "You see something swimming down below, but can't fish" or something like that. I was cruising around with a LV ~5 FSH and I'm 50 and we came to a fishing hole that I could fish at, but he could not and he got the message. I'm pretty sure it's the missing traits.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Pill bugs

The 2nd quest for fishing asks for pill bugs for bait ... where do I get that bait?

Vuitton

I think it's the weight of the fish that procs mooch? Every time I caught a cloud jellyfish that weighed over 10.0 mooch would proc. and I'd pull up blue octopuses in LL.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Each spot seems to have 1, sometimes 2, fish that you can mooch with, but they must be HQ. Ilm measurement does not seem to matter from what I've seen.

For example, if you're fishing in Mor Dhona, HQ Silverfish is the only catch there that you can begin to mooch with. They will yield Assassin Bettas or Goldfish (perhaps a 3rd mystery fish, unless that's a double-mooch only).

Reading back through the thread with reports of HQs not activating mooch... I either haven't noticed or that just hasn't happened to me.

Siralin

Quote Originally Posted by Toopka View Post
    The 2nd quest for fishing asks for pill bugs for bait ... where do I get that bait?
    It's in the first post. "Pill Bug - Buyable - Fieldcraft Vender in Lower Limsa"

Zetanio: When should we expect this data you've been keeping from us?

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm tryyyyinggggg

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Basically I'm an idiot because I couldn't log in on Sunday at all due to full server.

I'm trying to get a database together right now.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'll post the raw here and sort through it.

Upper La Noscea

Oakwood Spot

Memeroon Junkmonger - Vendor

Sells:
    Butterworm
    Crow Fly

Crowfly catches:
    Dark Bass
    Fairie Bass
    Warmwater Trout (LV20 Quest Item x5)
    Four-eyed Fish

Butterworm catches:
    Four-eyed Fish
    Jade Eels
    Pond Mussels

Daggers Spot
    Same as Oakwood

The Brewer's Spot
    Same as Oakwood

Camp Bronze Lake (Other side of Upper La Noscea Ferry)

Independent Vendor Guy
    Sells:
    Silver Spoon Lure
    Honeyworms
    Stem Borer

Eastern La Noscea

Wineport Vendor Guy
    Sells:
    Mythril Spoon Lure
    Stem Borer
    Honeyworm

East Aeglyss River Spot

Midge Basket catches:
    Copperfish

Crowfly catches:
    Copperfish

I have a shitload more data on my account but I couldn't get in to transcribe it.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Question for you crazy fishers. I only got to cast my line about 20 times right outside the guild, so I don't have much experience, but does the size of the fish ever vary? I saw that it told me how long each fish was that I reeled in, but it was always the same value for the same type of fish. I was kinda disappointed, but maybe the lowbie stuff (anchovies / kelp / shrimp / etc.) don't have size variants?

Also, if size does vary... does it even matter? Fish stack, so surely it can't keep track of which fish is what size.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I'm pretty sure when fish size passes a certain value it is an HQ fish. I don't remember checking the sizes too much though because I didn't really get a chance to do a lot of fishing yet.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

If I get out of this dead-end 9-to-5 in the near future, I want to work on a little graphic fishing log guide... something that looks like this, just a lot cleaner and with actual icons and perhaps color-coding if some fish actually prefer certain baits but can be caught with a few.

Does that make sense? My only concern is that the list of usable baits at each fishing location is likely to be rather large... My inventory was a page and a half of just NPC-purchased baits/lures by the end of phase-4. No crafted lures included.