1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 8 hours, 16 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 15 hours, 43 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 1 hours, 16 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 8 hours, 43 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing Compendium Thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I give up. Pretty much. Looks like FFXIVdb will have most of the information along with data miners. I'll wait until the data in mined and I'll make a guide.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I give up. Pretty much. Looks like FFXIVdb will have most of the information along with data miners. I'll wait until the data in mined and I'll make a guide.
    Aww. Appreciate the effort though.

I kinda got into fishing way too late in the beta test. >.> Looking forward to doing more of it at launch.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Detozi Deis
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Question for you crazy fishers. I only got to cast my line about 20 times right outside the guild, so I don't have much experience, but does the size of the fish ever vary? I saw that it told me how long each fish was that I reeled in, but it was always the same value for the same type of fish. I was kinda disappointed, but maybe the lowbie stuff (anchovies / kelp / shrimp / etc.) don't have size variants?

Also, if size does vary... does it even matter? Fish stack, so surely it can't keep track of which fish is what size.
    Size definitely can vary and as Scyhiroth said if you go past a certain length it'll be an HQ. I was fishing River Crab in upper La Noscea and I saw at least 5 different sizes while catching them. I'm thinking the higher your perception goes the better chance of you catching different sized fish. So when you were catching those low level fish your perception was only high enough to catch the smallest. Though at the same time I'm pretty sure I still caught HQ fish sometimes at those early levels with almost no gear... so I may be wrong.

Edit:

I like your idea Miokomioko, I think it'd be super useful.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vuitton View Post
    I think it's the weight of the fish that procs mooch? Every time I caught a cloud jellyfish that weighed over 10.0 mooch would proc. and I'd pull up blue octopuses in LL.
    Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Each spot seems to have 1, sometimes 2, fish that you can mooch with, but they must be HQ. Ilm measurement does not seem to matter from what I've seen.
    When I was leveling fishing from 1, there was one active help popup about HQs that basically said "Mooching requires the fish to be at least minimum size".
    Basically, perception increases the size you can catch, and anything past a certain size is HQ.
    Whether the minimum mooch can be higher than the minimum HQ, I can't say.

I want to work on a little graphic fishing log guide... something that looks like this, just a lot cleaner and with actual icons and perhaps color-coding if some fish actually prefer certain baits but can be caught with a few.

Does that make sense? My only concern is that the list of usable baits at each fishing location is likely to be rather large... My inventory was a page and a half of just NPC-purchased baits/lures by the end of phase-4. No crafted lures included.
    It makes sense, but I don't think it'll be as cross linked as your mockup.
    First of all, for 1-20 at least, half of the baits don't matter depending on where you're fishing. I always tried, and NEVER had a fish bite on bait that wasn't for their water type.
    Also, there was the odd L15+ holes that, even though the water type was right, simply did not respond to the lower level baits, so you don't even need to put them in a graphic for a hole.

As for fish preferring some baits, I kept an eye out for it, and while I don't have a deep test, I didn't see anything like it.
    Generally, it seems a bait will primarily catch fish of the level tier it's meant for, and can catch one level tier below it. (I had a whole extra stack of crayfish balls from the L5 class quest because I bought a stack early and didn't know I'd get more, so I burned the whole thing in a river, and it caught everything in the list.)
    When I revisited older spots to try and unlock some question marks with the L10 bait, I don't remember getting any of the fish that you can only catch with L1 bait, but I might just not have been paying close enough attention.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sevv Zero
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Stonemaul

Zel I have unlocked a bunch of crafting recipes for bait, since we are both on gilga hit me up when we get EA since I think fishing may be on hold for me for a few as I work on the other crafts

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yes please

Update: I'm going to be streaming fishing and talking about fishing once we're allowed to (Official release day)

My twitch feed is http://www.twitch.tv/zetanio

Feel free to join me and have fun.

I'm still going to collect info but I'm going to get a much larger database together first before pushing it out.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ahmera Mae
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    TIA for the writeup. Really looking forward to it.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

So, I am having trouble pulling up a Desert Catfish. Does anyone have this fish logged at either Sagolii Dunes or Sagolii Desert?

The Lv.35 Fisher quest asks you to catch one with Sand Leeches "south of Byregot's Strike" and I think the entire south end of the zone counts as Sagolii Desert, but I would hate to be wasting my time (fishing maps suck so bad).

I'm assuming it's a mooch catch from HQ Sandfish but I just keep getting Sagolii Monkfish. ; _ ;

Also, for the Lv.30 Fisher quest, it tells you to go to Bloodshore at night to catch Fullmoon Herrings, so I sat dead-center in the North Bloodshore circle on the fishing map, and it still counted as Costa Del Sol... which was the correct spot... so just stay at the Costa Del Sol sanctuary to fish for those instead of North/South Bloodshore.

:EDIT: So, I finally completed my Sagolii Desert list and the Desert Catfish isn't even in it. It has to be Sagolii Dunes (east of Byregot's Strike) unless there's a 3rd dunefishing hole in the area. (The catch was a Dune Manta, mooched from a HQ Storm Rider.)

:EDIT2: omg... 1/1 Desert Catfish from Sagolii Dunes. It doesn't even need a mooch.

Siralin

Wahoo - Mooched off Melthor Goby @ Aleport
    Ogre Barracuda - Mooched off Harbor Herring @ Brewer's Beacon (New deep sea record for me @ 40.3 ilms)
    Ala Mhigon Fighting Fish - Floating Minnow @ Fallgourd (The Bobbing Cork)
    Dark Sleeper - Fall Gourd

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Torasu Thorundsyn
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

anyone know where hammerhead and silver sharks come from?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I've caught both of those in South Bloodshore while waiting for 'It's Not Lupus,' I believe.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm slowly exploring Shroud while fishing right now. Gonna start Thanalan soon. So many fish and so much fun.

Fishing is the best way to experience the game.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Not sure how known this is, but every Lv.50 DoL/DoH quest rewards the Lv.50 tool as well as a choice of head/hands/legs/feet of the "AF" equipment. The tool is unique (and badass) in design and has the same exact stats as luminary tools.

In this case: Halcyon Rod + choice between: Fisher's Hat, Fisher's Gloves, Fisher's Gaskins, or Fisher's Waders.

The downside is that the final quest involves executing a double-mooch.

Location: North Bloodshore deep-sea (fish off the shack by Hidden Falls)
    Bait: Goby Ball (I think)
    Fishwheel: HQ Harbor Herring > HQ Ogre Barracuda > Mazlaya Marlin

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I just caught my first legendary Lv.50** fish, Dinichthys (double-mooch)!

Bait: Krill Cage Feeder
    Fishwheel: HQ Merlthor Goby (9 ilm) > HQ Wahoo (59.7 ilm) > Dinichthys

For reference:

Gathering = 227
    Perception = 178

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Not sure how known this is, but every Lv.50 DoL/DoH quest rewards the Lv.50 tool as well as a choice of head/hands/legs/feet of the "AF" equipment. The tool is unique (and badass) in design and has the same exact stats as luminary tools.
    That's good to know

Banned.

BG Level

where is the merchant that sell bait level 25 for ocean&river and above ?

Are there any database release yet ?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Most vendors supply bait that's compatible with the local fishing holes. The best way to find some specif bait types of a level range, assuming you have discovered most level-appropriate fishing holes already, is to look for a fishing hole that matches the level and water type you're after via your fishing log, then go to to the nearest camp.

In this case, South Bloodshore is a Lv.25 ocean fishing hole, so it's likely you'll find some bait at the nearby Costa Del Sol vendor... probably.

Atheist Douchebag.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

He has level 30ish bait. All merchant and mender people sell bait. Just buy a stack from every one you find. Worked well for me.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Detozi Deis
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Can any of you master fishers tell me what the Gulleye trait does exactly? I'm level 24 now and I still haven't noticed anything since I got it at 15.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I wish I could tell you for certain as I came in at Lv.50, but I think Gulleye traits simply allow you to record appropriate-level fishing holes in the fishing log. I believe before you have an appropriate Gulleye trait, fishing at too-high fishing holes will not unlock the fishing hole and it will remain "undiscovered."