1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 27 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 32 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 15 hours, 27 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 18 hours, 32 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing Compendium Thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Road Tinnies
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The amount of undercutting on Excalibur is crazy.. Soon as word got out about the Gigantpoles they droped by like 400% in a matter of hours!

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

wow thanks for this!

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Oreth View Post
    The amount of undercutting on Excalibur is crazy.. Soon as word got out about the Gigantpoles they droped by like 400% in a matter of hours!
    same shit on gilgamesh happened

if the first one sold for 80K, why the FUCK would anybody drop the price like crazy on the 2nd day

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

This is why we can't have nice things.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    This is why we can't have nice things.
    it just makes no sense that the 2nd person would list theirs at 35K when the first sold for 80K -_-

sigh. fishers only have a few things that sell, and since it's so easy for everybody to level up fishing, there are so many people flooding the markets undercutting like crazy trying to make pennies when we should be making benjamins

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Sharks sharks sharks sharks sharks

I need so many damn sharks.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I dunno if its common knowledge, but it seems if you fish at a point a couple times and then afk for about an hour you won't be able fish in that same spot for a while.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect View Post
    I dunno if its common knowledge, but it seems if you fish at a point a couple times and then afk for about an hour you won't be able fish in that same spot for a while.
    This happens if your rod is out. I'm not sure if it applies if you put it away first.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Purrrfect View Post
    True statement, however I have never had to walk more than 3 feet from my previous spot to clear the message about "why don't you try another spot?"

The code is interesting too. I was fishing at the beach north of Costa del Sol for an hour or so, then left to join some fates for like 45 minutes, came back and made one successful cast and then got the message. I still moved 2 steps and that cleared the message.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    This happens if your rod is out. I'm not sure if it applies if you put it away first.
    I dunno about just sitting there period, but I fished a couple times, put rod away, came back and had to move.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

It happens when you are simply standing in a spot where you can fish.

If your "Cast" action is lit up, the anti-bot-clock is ticking.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

It basically gives you an invisible debuff that makes it so you cannot fish in that spot. Most people move away and fish in another location near, However if you want to fish in that same spot, you can log out and back in and you can start fishing there again. Logging out removes whatever flag is put on you to not fish there.

Siralin

Any ideas on the last fish in rootslake? I believe I've found that it's named Judgment Staff, but I haven't been able to find any additional info.

Also, finished full af a few days ago!

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Based on that name I'd imagine during Thunderstorms?

Edit: The description says it only feeds while raining, so deffo weather related.

xivdb comments place it at Rootslake as well

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

^^that was my comment since I caught it the other day

when i caught it, it was thunderstorm conditions.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I've been updating the thread on Diciplesoftheland forum where we list the location of every fish in game.

there are only two fish left which remain un-caught at this point. I've got everything else

Cape Westwind, North Umbral Isles

Titanic Sawfish, Tricorn

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Has anyone posted suggestions on where to fish at certain levels? I'm never sure if I'm fishing in the best spot for my level (usually I just pick the pretty areas :X). I know I saw someone recommend fishing at spots where the fish were 2-3 levels above you.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Hoshiku View Post
    Has anyone posted suggestions on where to fish at certain levels? I'm never sure if I'm fishing in the best spot for my level (usually I just pick the pretty areas :X). I know I saw someone recommend fishing at spots where the fish were 2-3 levels above you.
    I've seen a few threads here and there, I will provide my list of what I personally did. My focus was on XP, I don't know what's considered useful or valuable fish. I do like the pretty areas too.

1-10 - Just fish wherever you had to go in order to do your quests
    11-18 - I went to The Brewer's Beacon, it's the lighthouse SE of Aleport. Close enough to town to do leves turn-ins if you're so inclined. I wouldn't do fishing leves if I had it to do again (but guilty, I'm noob).
    19-25 - I think I spent this time around Moroby Bay, kind of a blank time to me where I didn't really find a good spot. Found a recommendation for Halfstone in Western La Noscea, try that.
    25-30 - Guardian Tree (Evershade) in Central Shroud, SW of Bentbranch. Thunderstorms are gorgeous here.
    30-35 - Costa del Sol. I fished the nighttime fish for the L30 quest just east of town, then moved up north to the dock on the northern beach with the dancing mithras, that seems a bit higher.
    35-40 - Dunefishing. Get Sand Leeches from the NPC in Forgotten Springs, then ride down to Byregot's Strike. Due east of that (the little hook in the map) is where to fish. Awesome, plus you'll catch some legendaries.
    40-?? - The Burning Wall, Eastern Thanalan. There's aggros in here so you'll need to stealth through the cave a bit. You can fish from the top level though, just try to get to a place over the water. Fantastic XP. Avg 3100/ NQ catch with some HQs as well, so if you are getting less elsewhere think about moving.

Only 41 now, but will be at Burning Wall until my gear breaks and then might come back.

Always get the latest bait you can equip. I like live baits because the hit rate is so much faster, so I don't know much about lures. Fishing is so much faster than mining that it blows my mind. I think that's why I'm so addicted to it.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Baits seem to yield bites faster but also generally target smaller species of fish than lures, which is great when you're aiming to mooch something like a Striped Goby or Silverfish.

If it's a rare, non-mooch, large species of fish you're after (e.g. Mahi-mahi), lures are your best bet.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Baits seem to yield bites faster but also generally target smaller species of fish than lures, which is great when you're aiming to mooch something like a Striped Goby or Silverfish.

If it's a rare, non-mooch, large species of fish you're after (e.g. Mahi-mahi), lures are your best bet.
    Thank you for the explanation of how they help to target higher fish. I expect I'll learn more about that later on. For leveling, I do think live is always better.

Since you posted, I ran a stupidly-small test sample - but it's data nonetheless. I have tried lures at most of my fishing spots and seen similar results. I also post this because the post (on another forum) that led me to try this spot said that there's no moochable fish here so be sure to just use lures. That would be bad advice for this spot.

10 consecutive casts each at The Burning Wall, L41

Wildfowl Fly (Lure)

Stem Borer (Bait)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast