1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 10 hours, 27 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 13 hours, 32 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 3 hours, 27 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 6 hours, 32 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing Compendium Thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

You can hit 392 without the gear from the new patch.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Sorry. Meant I failed at 392. Went back and failed again at 393. Was a sad day.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Did it give you a "not enough gathering" message, or just "the fish got away..."?

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Random bit of info. The new fish added to Cape Westwind fishing hole shares the pool with the Titanic Sawfish(When the 'Rises from the deep' message appears), making it even more fun to catch titanic. Hooked it twice but lost, so at least its easier to hook.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Not enough gathering. I think it was Nepto Dragon that I kept losing. Makes sense as the lore seems to pin him as the biggest fishy in the sea right now. Also had Old Man of The Sea bite but gathering was too low at 376. Was 4:36PM with clear weather.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've never been good at mathing or understanding the gear materia caps, I just kinda follow what ariyala says, but seeing as how we're still in the discovery period, does anyone know if there is a safe amount of materia one could put in the gear until the caps are discovered?

What I mean is like, can we know from previous caps that sticking 5 of perception/gathering on each piece will be at the very least inevitable and safe for once we do find the caps?

It shows in red I suppose I could not be retarded and just try to meld and pay attention to those...

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistrianna Galanodel
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Just noticed SE ninja'd 4 GP on fishing hands as a base stat.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eeek Sohno
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Yeah, this happened to all gathering classes. Unexpected, but hey, 4 free GP!

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Go forth and make money fishfriends.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post

Go forth and make money fishfriends.
    What is that exactly? Out of the loop for a couple months, but have Supra rod and high CUL desynth.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's a minion from the Ninja Betta fish.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

New minion yeah

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Looks like a pain in the dick to catch though.

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Also, I just (I think, ha) hooked one of those after two HQ betta mooches and lost it with 383 Gathering.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sigmakan Kaph
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Also, I just (I think, ha) hooked one of those after two HQ betta mooches and lost it with 383 Gathering.
    Lost as in it got away, or lost as in "your gathering is insufficient"?

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

Got away, but I saw someone else catch one with 383 Gathering, so the requirement is at least lower than that.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Captain Condon
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Got away, but I saw someone else catch one with 383 Gathering, so the requirement is at least lower than that.
    I've been pushing for these since patch. I was fairly successful with 359 gathering and lowish perception (don't remember the number). I melded one perception +4 and lost nearly every fish. There seems to be some sort of balance needed when at the low end of the gathering cap. I have hooked them at 354 gathering, but received the insufficient gather message.

At 373 gathering I've only lost 1-2 out of 15. The Ninja can bite on any mooch of an Assassin Beta, 6 PM-8 AM Gloomy weather. I have caught them on the first mooch, and the 6th. I think the odds may go up the more mooches you get in a row.

I have had 3 Fry's out of my desynths, which is around 30ish fish probably. has anyone sold any on other servers? I traded the server first for a Mastercraft Demi (for my Supra yay!). I'm just curious how much money I can make.

Cap

a p. sweet dude

BG Level

I sold the one I got on Balmung for 1.8M but that was over a week ago. My catch rate on these isn't horrible with just 359 Gathering (the bare minimum), I haven't lost a ton.

On the other hand, I haven't reeled in a Lone Ripper since 2.4 hit, and I've lost six jigs trying, which strikes me as bizarre.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

will gathering increase bite rate of big fish or just determine whether or not you can land it once hooked? new fisher working on forager's rod, with about 320 gathering including food. i maybe get 4-5 mahi-mahi or silver sovereign bites per 30minutes. i'm 5/20 on HQs, but seems like it will take quite a while at this rate. built my gear on a budget, so do have room to improve before i finish the rod.

Gathering only determines your odds of reeling a fish in once it bites, doesn't effect whether any given fish will actually bite.

Only things that determine bites are bait and RNG.