1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 40 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 19 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 15 hours, 40 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 18 hours, 19 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing Compendium Thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Anyone by chance have a check list of all the big fish? Started to get to them after unlocking all 4* crafts x:

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Gathering only determines your odds of reeling a fish in once it bites, doesn't effect whether any given fish will actually bite.
    I asked a related question on OF, but figure I'll ask here:

How does Gathering work for FSH?

Case A
    Big Fish A requires 330 Gathering to hook: 329 or lower will result in a "gathering too low" message. Any value above 330 increases the likelihood of landing until a certain threshold is reached where landing is guaranteed.

Case B
    Big Fish B requires 330 Gathering to hook: 329 or lower will result in a "gathering too low" message. Any value above 330 contributes nothing to the success of landing the fish; the fish has its own internal % landing chance.

Case C
    Big Fish C requires 330 Gathering to hook: 329 or lower will result in a "gathering too low" message. A value above 330 increases the likelihood of landing once hooked, but only to a certain extent. Once the maximum bonus to landing is reached, additional Gathering contributes nothing to the success of landing the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaano View Post
    Anyone by chance have a check list of all the big fish? Started to get to them after unlocking all 4* crafts x:
    http://en.ff14angler.com/timetable.php/

Use the gear icon next to the clock to filter based on patch and use the check and cross to add to/remove from the list regardless of filter.

A

There may be fish that have a 95% "cap" like there is for unspoiled node items (what you described in C) but since we don't see the numbers it would be hard to say.

You'd need a large sample size on fish that are inherently a bitch to get on the hook in the first place in order to come to any real conclusion.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Valar Morghulis
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Almalexia View Post
    This link is amazing. I started using it the other day, and it's helped a ton. Took a little getting used to though. I just wish there was an option to filter out fish we've already caught.

Also, wtf do these do?

The alarm is pretty self explanatory, but the others seem to only light up and nothing more when you click them. I use them to keep track of fish I have, but don't know if they server another function or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Korialstrasz View Post
    I just wish there was an option to filter out fish we've already caught.
    The green checkmark will make the checked fish appear even if you've DISABLED a certain patch set.
    The red cross will prevent the crossed fish from appearing even if you've ENABLED a certain patch set.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Valar Morghulis
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Almalexia View Post
    The green checkmark will make the checked fish appear even if you've DISABLED a certain patch set.
    The red cross will prevent the crossed fish from appearing even if you've ENABLED a certain patch set.
    Ahh so that's how those work. Thanks!

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Skipping from Halcyon straight to Supra, lucked out and got a triple heatwave. Got 2/3 olgoi, first time out there. I messed up a couple mooches (forgot to, and accidentally got up) though. Would have been amazing to go 3/3 in one trip but too much to hope for I suppose lol.

Addendum: 2 windows later, 3/3 within a few hours of attempting. Woo.

Add2: Caught Pirate's Bane within 3 windows of buff. Expecting bad RNG juju from here on.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sigmakan Kaph
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I hate you . . . congrats . . . . I guess . . .

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Silly question I guess: do you need every single big fish to get Ironworks rod? Or are there more than 106. Does that number include the Feast of Famine living legends?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sigmakan Kaph
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I believe there are 112 big fish

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    Silly question I guess: do you need every single big fish to get Ironworks rod? Or are there more than 106. Does that number include the Feast of Famine living legends?
    there are 112 total, tho nepto and Namitaro are some of the easier fish from 2.4

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

You need to catch every big fish that isn't part of the Living Legends quest to get the Ironworks rod. Basically, every big fish excluding: Helicoprion, Endoceras, Namitaro, Kuno the Killer, Shonisaurus, and Nepto Dragon.

Heli and Nepto are the easiest to meet the requirements weather and catch-wise, but Nepto still requires 402+ gathering so you need to have both the ironworks rod and some forager's gear (plus hq quiche) unless you've got fc buff on every time you want to catch him >_>

Namitaro might be catchable every thunder/lightning weather but you have to reel in a giant takitaro first, then switch bait and hook a Namitaro within 40 seconds because that's all the time you get on the buff, and actually reel in the Namitaro successfully after that. It's super bullshit and I haven't managed it yet - giant taki likes to hide, which doesn't make catching Nami any easier. But I guess it's not quite as bad as Kuno the Killer which is kind of like having to catch two frilled sharks in one weather cycle.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

The living legends fish can be a part of the 106. I caught Namitaro before I caught old man in the sea and was able to get the rod.

Just got my ironworks rod, dont think I'll be going for the Living Legends, those weather conditions are crazy lol Been camping the skywatcher and all this time Ive only seen the rare weathers in S. Than and Coerthas about two or three times. Kuno is just a pita, caught the buff about three times and was never even able to get a bite off him. Only ones Ive caught so far are Nepto and Namitaro. So yeah, fuck you very much SE xD

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

New to fishing.

Are melding the i70s to +5 Gathering/Perception still the current BiS for accessories?

Is CUL desynthesis the FSH endgame? I'm mostly doing this for achievements and because I get a sick pleasure out of seeing 11(12?13?) pages of ? marks turn into fish that I promptly dump to an NPC. It seems like 99% of this stuff is vendor trash.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

i70 are still best as far as I know unless you have another Gathering class and need/want GP as well. Yes, CUL desynthesis goes with fishing. There's some semi-valuable stuff you can get from certain fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic View Post
    Are melding the i70s to +5 Gathering/Perception still the current BiS for accessories?
    Yes. The i90 accessories are DoW/DoM-only, and the Dodore accessories cap at +4 rather than the +5 of i70 accessories. Thankfully, hard gryphon leather has tanked in price.

Is CUL desynthesis the FSH endgame? I'm mostly doing this for achievements and because I get a sick pleasure out of seeing 11(12?13?) pages of ? marks turn into fish that I promptly dump to an NPC. It seems like 99% of this stuff is vendor trash.
    CUL desynthesis makes it a little more profitable : most lvl30-55 fish are worth at least a couple shards, have a decent chance of dropping Allagan Metal Pieces, and it gives you a better use for the NQ Silver Sovereigns if you go that route. Not much, and the non-shard/crystal drops are just vendor trash, too, but better. Unfortunately, there's not a bulk desynthesis button, or water shard prices would tank. Green-grade and Legendary fish can desynth into really valuable stuff, though. If you don't mind farming more Oglois, the ensuing waterproof cotton can pay for a lot of your Supra upgrade costs, and some of the Legendary Fish allegedly can desynth into Allagan mats or IV materia.

That said, if you're an omnicrafter the cost of a desynthesis skill at 70+ is so high that it's very, very, hard to justify.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sigmakan Kaph
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

These living legends seem much easier to catch than the non legends.

Caught kuno in my first window (had some great luck with mooches)
    Endoceras in first window
    Nepto in first window
    Namitaro in first window

All were 100% land rate except nepto.

Now, the non legends...I've gone four windows without a single bite for void bass.
    Magic mushroom has been very elusive.
    Seahag has gotten away numerous times
    Same with blue corpse

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Ah well see - that's just your luck. It only seems that way because you got VERY lucky.

I've been after Kuno and Namitaro tons of times and IF I'm lucky enough to trigger the buff for them, I still never get mooch (for Kuno) or fish gets away (for Nami).
    Endoceras just has a short window in general so it's a bit tougher, but at least you can isolate fullmoon sardine with steel jig.
    I haven't even bothered checking out the weather for Shoni, the pattern is disgusting. It's rarely ever fair/clear in Coerthas, and it doesn't matter anyway if I can't catch the others. Don't even talk to me about Nepto. When you hook him 7+ times in one window and each time he gets away it's like, why am I even bothering. Worse than Ripper.

Void bass is indeed an asshole, but I didn't have any problems with the other ones you listed. It's really all luck of the draw.
    (I still love fishing though even if it is infuriating sometimes)

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I'm really hating Imperial Goldfish. After being told that I don't need to catch the 3 Jungle Catfish in one sitting I'm more comfortable with it but it sucks not getting a single HQ silverfish in that 10 minute opening. Tried a number of different baits and lures because Honey Worm is no more/less of a crapshoot than any other imo. Is there anything better at singling out Silverfish?