1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 45 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 10 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 23 hours, 45 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27

Thread: Fishing Compendium Thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeks View Post
    Last May, I burned out on the relic weapon grind and starting fishing just for the hell of it. For a different experience in the game. It sucked me into a thoroughly enjoyable vortex of fishing and gathering and crafting for about 5 or 6 months. Time permitting, my favorite XIV pasttime is to crack open a beer, head to a lovely fishin' spot, listen to a podcast, and relax for an hour or so. The audio/visual design of the open world is so well done than I enjoy simply spending time out in the world.

I do make decent gil off fishing, but it's not my focus. My gear is damn near BiS, but I'm not driven by achievement. I do it for the sake of doing it.

It's important to note that an omnicrafter's material purchases are often driven by efficiency and/or laziness. Even a fairly low-level fisher can catch in-demand fish. If you'd like to take a break from the combat side of things and make a little gil on the side, go after these fish: Razor Clams (level 20ish fish) , Rothlyt Oyster (level 20ish fish), and Hammerhead Sharks (level 28ish fish). Culinarians and Alchemists use lots of these fish, and you can catch them with only a minor time investment into leveling FSH.

These are just three examples; there are plenty more fish out there than sell decently-well. Gone are the days that made fishers multimillionaires nearly overnight, but with some fishing and market research, a fisher will never be outright poor.
    This is really cool to hear, thanks for sharing. Thanks extended to the post above yours as well. I'm almost at 50 for a first job and it's boring the crap out of me. I'd love to explore and relax with the crafting side of the game. Would you recommend starting with the Disciples of the land to build up some gil?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

i'm a noob crafter, levelled botany and fishing first to supply myself with everything i'd want for culinarian to cook my own foods. it has worked well. latest craft was to add 50 goldsmithing to be able to cheaply make right side stuff to spiritbond for materias.

i enjoy fishing for big fish/better rods in small amounts. gets frustrating only seeing a bite or two in 30min-1hr and then having it get away (currently hunting olgoi after getting my forager's rod, just barely over the gathering minimum). but at least you can watch movies or whatever while you do it.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eeek Sohno
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by cdgreg View Post
    This is really cool to hear, thanks for sharing. Thanks extended to the post above yours as well. I'm almost at 50 for a first job and it's boring the crap out of me. I'd love to explore and relax with the crafting side of the game. Would you recommend starting with the Disciples of the land to build up some gil?
    Unlocking Botanist and Miner would certainly benefit you. You can start collecting shards right off the bat. RMT love gathering shards, so don't expect any huge gains here. Crafters easily blow through hundreds or thousands of shards per day, so these do sell fast. If you do jump into crafting, gathering moderately expensive materials on your own BTN/MIN can save a nice chunk of gil (and even make some if you gather a little extra for market).

Speaking of shards, the first few class quests from each crafting guild reward lots of shards. By doing these class quests and crafting everything in your recipe list at least once (bonus exp is granted for crafting something the first time), you can power each crafting class from 1-15 without issue. Takes less than an hour per class. Hell, the guild NPCs sell dam near everything you'll need for leveling 1-15. Start with WVR and LTH, then ALC and CUL, then do the next four.

Coming for XI's perspective, crafting is gonna blow your mind. I highly recommend it.

EDIT: An excellent comprehensive guide to crafting: http://ffxivrealm.com/guides/ff14-ad...mie-tsukino.6/

Fishing Guru
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeks View Post
    Unlocking Botanist and Miner would certainly benefit you. You can start collecting shards right off the bat. RMT love gathering shards, so don't expect any huge gains here. Crafters easily blow through hundreds or thousands of shards per day, so these do sell fast. If you do jump into crafting, gathering moderately expensive materials on your own BTN/MIN can save a nice chunk of gil (and even make some if you gather a little extra for market).

Speaking of shards, the first few class quests from each crafting guild reward lots of shards. By doing these class quests and crafting everything in your recipe list at least once (bonus exp is granted for crafting something the first time), you can power each crafting class from 1-15 without issue. Takes less than an hour per class. Hell, the guild NPCs sell dam near everything you'll need for leveling 1-15. Start with WVR and LTH, then ALC and CUL, then do the next four.

Coming for XI's perspective, crafting is gonna blow your mind. I highly recommend it.

EDIT: An excellent comprehensive guide to crafting: http://ffxivrealm.com/guides/ff14-ad...mie-tsukino.6/
    Thank you! I just dinged 50 on BRD, so now it's time to catch up on missions and then try some out. I appreciate the detail and the link.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Some info on the fish that I've had to catch so far for collectibles. Some of it is probably incomplete and most of it is prolly useless to most of you but here it is anyway

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

So I've decided to up my records since HW seemed to introduce AA/AAA rankings and there's not a whole lot else to do until November; I am curious what people have found for AAA so far tho as I've only gotten that on a tupuxuara