1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 44 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 15 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 11 hours, 44 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 22 hours, 15 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

So it's safe to say VIT > STR of you're running with healers you dont know? I'm still leveling so it doesn't seem to matter for me yet, since if a healer cant keep me up in Stone Vigil or Darkhold then they have downs 99% of the time or the dps are running through vortexs and playing in AoE. Been putting full points in STR so far at lvl 45, doesn't seem like I take TOO much dmg unless I get hit by a bosses big attack, but then I use toss Inner Beast up to help the healer out and we're good and I can get 5 stacks up again well before another hard hit.

Is Haymaker any good for us? I have Conv, Featherfoot and Second Wind and don't know what to put in my 4th spot. Flash seems ok, but I rarely if ever have to use it honestly.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

This game in general just seems a whole lot less number/math intensive than XI, so I personally prefer VIT for the much more visible benefit of having more hp over the less obvious benefit of higher DPS.

The way I see it is, in a PUG you have a much bigger HP buffer to work with for when the healers fuck up or just suck, which can and does save runs a fair bit of the time. This may not be necessary in a good group, but if your group is good (i.e. premade), the tank doing 5 extra DPS isn't necessary either and just shaves a few seconds off of kill time.

Maybe if some more time-intensive content comes out, I'll swap to STR, but for right now I think it's VIT all the way.

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

VIT definitely feels like it would be better with healers you don't trust. I went 30 STR and figured I'd just run with it until I hit a wall, I play with 2 great healers I know I can count on so we'll see how it goes. I gotta admit the sight of 7k HP unbuffed sounds appealing but I'm scared I'd be giving up these 2.5k self heals with IB.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I'm still running 30 STR but haven't hit Titan Hard yet so we'll see if I need to change.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Retrieving/C.D/Searain View Post
    Ifrit HM:

3. 9 healers out of 10 in this game are just too damn slow/clumsy and will make you sit at <30% HP for 10 seconds or longer every single time a couple of big attacks occur back to back, it's fine when I have self-healing abilities up (as I'm faster than them anyway since I pay attention to the mob's animations while they clearly only look at the HP bar) but there's moments when 500-600 more HP (which may be even more with Defiance up, gotta check that) might turn out useful.
    This is the sad truth. I've died multiple times on Ifrit with almost full Darklight. The WHM will then proceed to blame you for wearing "paper armor", it's awful. I especially love when he does Hellfire, dropping me to like 4k, and then Incinerates afterwards. Nobody seems to realize that the fight is 100% scripted and that this will happen every time. Need to save Inner Beast + Thrill of Battle to have any chance of surviving this with most healers.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

VIT is the best if you get out of the kiddie pool of endgame.
    Everything in the first two wings of Bahamuts Coil hits like a truck. Can't say for later wings, but I don't assume bosses get easier.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jehryn Ambrose
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

30 VIT on skill points, all VIT on accessories as well?

So where do you go to respec out of your stat bonuses? Grand Company?

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    So where do you go to respec out of your stat bonuses? Grand Company?
    It's a consumable you buy for 10k seals from the GC vendor.

There's literally nothing in Coil I wouldn't prefer tanking on Paladin so far so that discussion is kind of silly lol.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jehr View Post
    30 VIT on skill points, all VIT on accessories as well?
    7.3k HP and Snake boss in Coil could 1shot me at times. That is with full vit acc. darklight gear and relic.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    There's literally nothing in Coil I wouldn't prefer tanking on Paladin so far so that discussion is kind of silly lol.
    Yeah, I feel bad not having PLD leveled and we only have 1 PLD in our group so we have to go with a WAR for 2nd tank.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

So really, level PLD also is what I'm hearing. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
    7.3k HP and Snake boss in Coil could 1shot me at times. That is with full vit acc. darklight gear and relic.
    How would this be different with a pld? I know they get block + parry, but does block get applied on EVERY hit or is it just a chance? It seems like Warriors tend to have more hp then pallys, is it just the pally 20% reduction talent?

Mrd/War dps on Garuda

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eurlin Vindictae
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Titan
    WoW Realm
    Dalvengyr

So this skill is not avoidable at all?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eurlin View Post
    So this skill is not avoidable at all?
    Those are normal hits lol.

Also, PLD has way better cooldowns to actually mitigate things, so in the long run they need less healing. On the pull our PLD will nearly get 1shot without stoneskin and scholar bubble, so it's not like PLD take no damage, it's just that they have better cooldowns to survive when the boss has 3 or 4 stacks. As I said, I used featherfoot and didn't dodge any attacks whilst it was up.

Edit: I should clarify that the boss gets a stacking buff that increases his dmg, so at 4 or 5 stacks he will 1shot me at full hp on a double attack. Or even 3 if he crits one of them and I don't parry the other.

So seems to me like a lot of the issue is Warriors tanking in ilvl70 gear for an ilvl80 raid? While paladins are able to pull it off we might be far more gear dependent. I can see if in full ilvl80 gear we're able to tank the bosses fine, that Warriors will be the go to tanks and Paladins will complain until a new raid where they become king and the cycle repeats.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eurlin Vindictae
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Titan
    WoW Realm
    Dalvengyr

Those are normal hits lol.

Also, PLD has way better cooldowns to actually mitigate things, so in the long run they need less healing. On the pull our PLD will nearly get 1shot without stoneskin and scholar bubble, so it's not like PLD take no damage, it's just that they have better cooldowns to survive when the boss has 3 or 4 stacks. As I said, I used featherfoot and didn't dodge any attacks whilst it was up.

Edit: I should clarify that the boss gets a stacking buff that increases his dmg, so at 4 or 5 stacks he will 1shot me at full hp on a double attack. Or even 3 if he crits one of them and I don't parry the other.
    That makes more sense, I'm a PLD so I don't know much on Warriors, but I know we mitigate way more damage with our buffs etc. I know Caduceus stacks and can Hood swing for quite a bit if it's not mitigated or if you're undergeared.

Edit: Is this also Saxxon from KI with the "EmoAngel" sig?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    So seems to me like a lot of the issue is Warriors tanking in ilvl70 gear for an ilvl80 raid? While paladins are able to pull it off we might be far more gear dependent. I can see if in full ilvl80 gear we're able to tank the bosses fine, that Warriors will be the go to tanks and Paladins will complain until a new raid where they become king and the cycle repeats.
    For a tl;dr, possibly, PLD mitigates dmg better, and WAR self heals it back up. But the difference between the dmg PLD mitigates is a lot higher than the amount WAR self heals. WAR cooldowns are also a little lackluster, so for easy content WAR is perfectly acceptable, even possibly better due to more dps. But once you start getting into harder content, a "good" PLD will always be better due to the ability to mitigate the dmg taken, rather than eat it and heal it up afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurlin View Post
    Edit: Is this also Saxxon from KI with the "EmoAngel" sig?
    Yeah, but that was 5years ago, so let's forget about it, k?

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I should clarify that the boss gets a stacking buff that increases his dmg, so at 4 or 5 stacks he will 1shot me at full hp on a double attack. Or even 3 if he crits one of them and I don't parry the other.
    Out of curiosity did you ever have a MNK try to One-Ilm Punch the buff off of him? Or whoever else has a dispel type move.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast