1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 15 hours, 3 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 8 hours, 56 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 8 hours, 3 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 1 hours, 56 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
    For a tl;dr, possibly, PLD mitigates dmg better, and WAR self heals it back up. But the difference between the dmg PLD mitigates is a lot higher than the amount WAR self heals. WAR cooldowns are also a little lackluster, so for easy content WAR is perfectly acceptable, even possibly better due to more dps. But once you start getting into harder content, a "good" PLD will always be better due to the ability to mitigate the dmg taken, rather than eat it and heal it up afterwards.
    By harder i'm guessing just "content we're not geared above/even with"? If so it makes sense and i'm fine with that. I dont mind being the go to tank when shit is easier to farm, that's what Warriors seem to excel at. Once i'm geared for current dungeon lvl I blow through that place as opposed to when im doing a lvl 44 dungeon in lvl 35 gear. People on official forums seem so butthurt that both tanks are 100% identical in everyway..which is stupid because then what's the point.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Voyage1970 View Post
    Out of curiosity did you ever have a MNK try to One-Ilm Punch the buff off of him? Or whoever else has a dispel type move.
    Yeah, it doesn't work, but it's ok because you actually remove the stacks by making them eat the adds.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    By harder i'm guessing just "content we're not geared above/even with"? If so it makes sense and i'm fine with that. I dont mind being the go to tank when shit is easier to farm, that's what Warriors seem to excel at. Once i'm geared for current dungeon lvl I blow through that place as opposed to when im doing a lvl 44 dungeon in lvl 35 gear. People on official forums seem so butthurt that both tanks are 100% identical in everyway..which is stupid because then what's the point.
    Sounds more like an issue with the way WAR tanks things. Paladin takes less damage but can't really heal itself. WAR takes more damage but heals it by dealing damage itself. The problem lies in surviving in the first place. Shield Oath, Bulwark, Rampart, and Sentinel mitigate way more damage than Featherfoot.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Is Haymaker any good for us? I have Conv, Featherfoot and Second Wind and don't know what to put in my 4th spot. Flash seems ok, but I rarely if ever have to use it honestly.
    I've used haymaker from the start. It's great in packs when you have a good chance of dodging something (based on sheer number of incoming attacks). Not 50 yet so idk if it's always going to be on my list.

RE: Garuda

1 Paladin / 1 Warrior, Warrior tanks the two sisters (don't hit hard) while Paladin tanks Garuda (could tank Garuda + sister, but habit from when running as Warrior + Warrior)

It is different because Garuda hits like a truck and can fuck you almost as fast as Titan does with Mountain Buster or w/e it is. I can hit one cd on Paladin and that phase is an instant joke. The length of the non-sister wind shifts gives you enough time for those cd's to always be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrieving/C.D/Searain View Post
    Ifrit HM:
    That being said I'm debating whether to respec full VIT or not for a couple of reasons:
    It all comes down to mitigation. Once I get full DL I'll compare numbers to then and now, but I'm already seeing with full Hopolite + DL legs/feet I can block 27% damage with the Ul'Dah Scutum (180 block strength). Block Rate is terrible, but I feel that it doesn't matter much thanks to Bulwark, and the only shields beating the Scutum's strength are Holy Shield +1 > Allagan > Darksteel Scutum.

The block rate of 37 almost negates that, but the balance between Block Strength and Block Rate is for a different Thread. I wouldn't be shocked to see 30% mitigation with those shields and DL gear and above.

At the very least, put points into STR for a PLD to help with mitigation. Shield Oath plus Defensive moves and at least a quarter worth of damage off attacks

=====

But, I honestly feel safer on WAR because I can sit on Wrath V, pop Inner Beast for 1k HP, Thrill of Battle (1), Storm Path Combo (Bringing me to 3) and another Storms Path Combo (5), Inner Beast, Pop Infuriate, Pop another Inner Beast. On PLD I just sit there and hope that the WHM/SCH catches me.

Thrill of Battle might be over by then but by the time the Mage catches up that my HP was at 600 and shot up, they might hit me with that cure that'll top off the HP that Thrill Added.

I have WAR stated for STR but geared for VIT, and I have 6k HP with Defiance, Full Hopolite and DL Legs. I wouldn't get as much HP back with my skills and I like having those tools.

I feel so dependent as a PLD.

[/video]
    Mrd/War dps on Garuda
    He took off his job token thing and wore DoW chain gear in order to just barely match the DPS of an average DD player. Notice he has like 4k HP. He can't tank or even off-tank like that, not even for a moment while the real tank is getting ressed or something. It shouldn't be interpreted as "the DPS that warriors do."

Yeah, it doesn't work, but it's ok because you actually remove the stacks by making them eat the adds.
    I found it easier to just DPS through and eat the stacks

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gray Spy
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

On a good day, how many times do you die because your healer was late on heals?

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Spy View Post
    On a good day, how many times do you die because your healer was casting Stone II?
    Edited for my experiences.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I found it easier to just DPS through and eat the stacks
    Did you really not reset stacks throughout the whole fight? Because you would have minimum of 6 stacks with perfect dps.
    We just reset stacks whilst 1 was up, then once after they split, and as a WAR I had no real issues tanking my own snake. We also found that a SCH healing the WAR tank was better than the WHM for our group.

Did you really not reset stacks throughout the whole fight? Because you would have minimum of 6 stacks with perfect dps.
    We just reset stacks whilst 1 was up, then once after they split, and as a WAR I had no real issues tanking my own snake. We also found that a SCH healing the WAR tank was better than the WHM for our group.
    We reset prior to split but not after.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Spy View Post
    On a good day, how many times do you die because your healer was late on heals?
    0. On a bad day I will die because he is trying to DPS and the answer will be 1.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

We reset prior to split but not after.
    Do you have people procing tail swipe so tanks/healers get a breather during the cast?

No, but that's not a bad idea either. The time it takes to DPS, I still have CD's on Paladin and pop Hallowed when it's in the sub-10%/5% range to be safe.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

No, but that's not a bad idea either. The time it takes to DPS, I still have CD's on Paladin and pop Hallowed when it's in the sub-10%/5% range to be safe.
    Well MNK and DRG will proc it anyway due to positional requirements, and a BLM can just eat a whole one with manawall. We also had a PLD use cover and hallowed ground on me after his snake was dead just to keep me alive during the final burn.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

what's the damage difference between sitting on wrath 5 the entire time and using IB only when infuriate is up, compared to using IB every time it's ready?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by kisada View Post
    what's the damage difference between sitting on wrath 5 the entire time and using IB only when infuriate is up, compared to using IB every time it's ready?
    Using IB "only when infuriate is up", and using IB "every time it's ready" is exactly the same thing.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

why is using IB once a minute via infuriate the same thing as using IB every 20s through ws combos + vengance/infuriate the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Using IB "only when infuriate is up", and using IB "every time it's ready" is exactly the same thing.
    No.

Infuriate is a 60s cooldown. If you just IB when Infuriate is up, you use it essentially every 60 seconds. Whereas if you use it when infuriated, you use it every 5 wrath which should be less than 60 seconds, but you have moments where you aren't infuriated.

edit: As for what's right, generally I use IB when Infuriate is up unless my healer is absolute shit or I'm just dying, then I use it whenever I'm infuriated. Not sure what method would be best yet, but there's no reason to use Inner Beast if your hate is good or you don't need HP. Maybe for DPS? But even then if I'm tanking I want to be Infuriated as much as possible, so even then I'd just use it with Infuriate.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast