1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 5 hours, 19 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 18 hours, 40 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 22 hours, 19 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 11 hours, 40 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
    Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Resin Midwater
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Final Fantasy XIV: A Real Reborn - "A New Beginning" in 720p and DD 5.1

So, maybe some of you knew about this and some of you didn't, but I just found about about it, so now you get to hear me tell you. You can get the full-fat version of the "A New Beginning" including Dolby Digital 5.1 from the .dat files in your FFXIV installation. Here are the steps:

• Browse to the folder of your game installation (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\SquareEnix) and open the following folder:
      Code:
      C:\Program Files (x86)\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn\game\movie\ffxiv\
    • Create a copy of the file
      Code:
      00001.dat
      and rename that copy
      Code:
      00001.mwv
    • Play this file using your device of choice (a PS3 works well) and if you have it connected to something that can decode surround sound, you'll get it in all its Dolby Digital 5.1 glory. And it's awesome.

And for those wondering, it's this movie:

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Don't have to rename it. Just Open With and select your media player.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

It works! What I don't get is, why 00000.dat can be opened, but no sound (MPC)

Trying VLC..

EDIT: nope, also no sound. guess it's something decoded in game or something....

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Resin Midwater
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by bluefan View Post
    Don't have to rename it. Just Open With and select your media player.
    Yeah, I know, but not everyone is savvy enough to know how to tell their media player to open a file with an unknown extension.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    It works! What I don't get is, why 00000.dat can be opened, but no sound (MPC)

Trying VLC..

EDIT: nope, also no sound. guess it's something decoded in game or something....
    My guess is they use a separate audio track for 00000.dat to localize it for each region since it's narrated by that voiceover. I haven't tried to find the audio tracks but I'm sure they're in there somewhere.