1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 15 hours, 53 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 8 hours, 6 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 8 hours, 53 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 1 hours, 6 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Bard Detail     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Hay guyz, I was Shinebox but now I'm not!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Don Katsu
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmera Mae View Post
    Where's giantsgall on that bow ranking? From what i can tell, it should be above Serpent, not sure if on par with ifrit, but probably not because of wpn dmg.
    From what I can tell they nerfed the Giantsgall weapons from 1.0 to 2.0. They were better than the GC weapons in terms of base damage by a slim margin but could be sloted with materia. In this version they are weaker than the GC weapons in terms of base damage but can still be slotted with materia, since you cannot increase the base damage via materia and the GC weapons have all these bonuses on them. I think they are better or I might be wrong. They are cheap in the market wards now

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blowfin Jr
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

So, a couple of pretty basic questions. I pretty much picked up Archer because I wanted to shoot shit, without next to no knowledge of the game. Now I figure I might as well take BRD to 50.

Pretty close to being done with PUG 15 (just need another couple of rounds of BC leves). What are my best cross class abilities going to be for group play from 30 onwards? Sounds like Blood for Blood would be the standout, but what are the other abilities people are picking up?

Also, If I want access to the Archer abilities past 30, do I need to unlock them on Archer or will they automatically get unlocked as I level BRD?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

When you level bard you are also leveling archer, they are one in the same. So you get all archer abilities as you level up. Bard abilities are all from job quests

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blowfin Jr
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    When you level bard you are also leveling archer, they are one in the same. So you get all archer abilities as you level up. Bard abilities are all from job quests
    Thanks, good to know. Already feel like I'm getting double dipped with the possibility of taking LNC to 34, having to take Archer to 50 too would have just about caused me to rage.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Valar Morghulis
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Are our dots subject to resist rates or some such? Sometimes I have to use venomous bite/windbite 2-3 times due to "no effect" messages and the dots failing to land.

Bard Detail

For sub job abilities, you don't have much choice as BRD.
    It is tied down with PUG and LNC.
    Since I'm a bit lacking on LNC ( it's not necessary to be 15 to unlock BRD), my LNC is only 8.

However, I'm BRD 45 now. With the amount of DEX we have, evasive is handy.
    I had Keen Fury paired with Haymaker, whenever I dodge an attack, I'll fire off Haymaker.
    Then Internal Release and Feint was my other two.

I had Feint in my DoT macro, another equivalent potency 150 to Heavy Shot and Straight Shot. The slow at first two Feint is bonus.

Internal Release is nice when you get to crit more. And recast is 30s or 60, can't remember. But it sure recast shorter than Raging Strike.

At most boss fight, once you get Quelling strike, I used these JA to pump in dmg before I need to sing MP song for WHM.

Raging Strike
    Hawkeye
    Internal Release
    Quelling strike

Straight Shot
    Bloodletter (not 3s GCD)
    Heavy Shot
    Blunt Shot (not 3s GCD)
    Straight Shot

By the time, these five shots went off, Internal Release is gone. And you are probably doing around 1.1k + dmg in 10s. (Well, in my case anyway... Could be gimped coz my gears and bow aren't top)

After that, just normal sequence, shot and shot...

p.s. my only question, does Barrage proc in to any Job Ability shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Korialstrasz View Post
    Are our dots subject to resist rates or some such? Sometimes I have to use venomous bite/windbite 2-3 times due to "no effect" messages and the dots failing to land.
    At what level?
    Been doing dungeon, and haven't come across with this.
    Me BRD45.

The Spooniest of Bards
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lucian Esperance
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Barrage specifies Auto Attacks. Once you get River of Blood at 48 BRD becomes a lot more fun though. Pretty much use Internal Release throw your DoT's on, and watch the Bloodletter's fly.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ahmera Mae
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Korialstrasz View Post
    If you apply DoTs with Raging Strikes or Blood for Blood up, you can't overwrite them until your damage increasing buffs or your DoTs have faded, since a more powerful debuff is active atm.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Valar Morghulis
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmera Mae View Post
    If you apply DoTs with Raging Strikes or Blood for Blood up, you can't overwrite them until your damage increasing buffs or your DoTs have faded, since a more powerful debuff is active atm.
    Ahhh that makes a lot more sense then, thanks! Myself and another BRD in our group were going nuts trying to figure out what was going on.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Assuming you don't have an obvious weak spot, is there any of the iLvl90 piece you should pick first ? Amongst the cheaper one anyway (up to 500)

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'd say AF2 hat because the other head options look lame, and it's all about style.

(I got the ring first because I always operate on a system of improving weakest slots)

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

What macros are everyone using?

/micon "Straight Shot"
    /ac "Misery's End" <t>
    /ac "Straight Shot" <t>
    /ac "Bloodletter" <t>

/micon "Windbite"
    /ac "Misery's End" <t>
    /ac "Windbite" <t>
    /ac "Bloodletter" <t>

/micon "Venomous Bite"
    /ac "Misery's End" <t>
    /ac "Venomous Bite" <t>
    /ac "Bloodletter" <t>

#4 (my spam attack)
    /micon "Heavy Shot"
    /ac "Misery's End" <t>
    /ac "Bloodletter" <t>
    /ac "Heavy Shot" <t>

Plus I have one buff macro with everything on it; basically fire two buffs, attack, fire two buffs, attack, etc. Macros with /wait just do not work me; even with a 1s wait. Windbite / VB / Straight Shot are shifted up in the priority over Bloodletter to avoid firing BL at the start of fights. Misery's End is always first to maximize its usage without thinking. With heavy crit+, Windbite resets Bloodletter all the time, so it definitely needs to be at least baked into your normal mash attack. Not saying these are ideal; just what I am using for the timebeing. Open to suggestions.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Can you copy paste your buff macro please ?

With my own test, I can only slot in 1 buff between 2 x 3 sec GCD action.
    It could be my connection, but tried with many method doesn't work with 2 buffs between 2.5sec.

My original plan was

Straight shot
    Raging Strike
    Heavy Shot
    Internal Release
    Straight Shot
    Hawkeye
    Heavy Shot
    Bloodletter
    Straight Shot

But I find that if I have buffs between S/H shot, I'm wasting my buffs. Raging Strike would be gone when Bloodletter went off.

It's why I'm using all buffs before
    Heavy Shot
    Bloodletter
    Straight Shot
    Blunt Shot
    Heavy Shot
    Straight Shot
    Feint Shot
    And etc...

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by chichicha View Post
    With my own test, I can only slot in 1 buff between 2 x 3 sec GCD action.
    It could be my connection, but tried with many method doesn't work with 2 buffs between 2.5sec.
    I don't macro a /wait, I just put all four buffs in a row with the first buff as the primary icon and I leave my individual buff icons on the top bar to watch the timers. You can do a buff every one second I believe; theoretically you can get two off between GCD, but in reality I likely lose a half second. Not perfect, but at least I can just tap one macro and it instant fires whatever buffs are up one at a time as opposed to hunting around for it. I'd leave Quelling Strike on its own and Invigorate obviously.

Just ding 46, got Fire Arrow.
    I like this so much, on trash mobs in dungeon of course.
    BLM or WHM sleep mobs, I can still have it on the, and their HP ticking.
    Combined with wind bite, venomous bite, you can see their HP ticking a big DoT.
    And Rain of Death , fun ! I do like the effect, atk down and last 20s. 100 potency dmg is not bad.

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Has anyone done a comprehensive piece by piece comparison of the Gryphonskin (ilvl70 crafted set) with assorted materia combinations vs. Darklight set?
    I see a lot of conflicting opinions when it is discussed in chat/shout on server, but I don't have the endgame experience to try to crunch out any maths on it.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    Has anyone done a comprehensive piece by piece comparison of the Gryphonskin (ilvl70 crafted set) with assorted materia combinations vs. Darklight set?
    I see a lot of conflicting opinions when it is discussed in chat/shout on server, but I don't have the endgame experience to try to crunch out any maths on it.
    The math is really, really, really simple. HQ Gryphonskin has the same stat caps as DL, but you can splash more stats than are present on the DL pieces.

The only thing you have to consider is if you are going to be spending materia to make an identical piece prior to getting any bonuses (and thus having to quint meld instead of say, triple meld)

The other thing to consider is using militia/imperial gear to cover multiple classes. While these have STR/DEX, they don't have VIT, and that ends up being kind of useful.

157 dex 124 crit
    vs
    152 dex 129 crit
    vs
    125 dex 172 crit
    vs
    148 dex 97 crit

What's better for bard? Straight shot gives a 10% crit chance so maybe I should focus on the one with the most crit? But high dex is probably better overall. I have no idea, any input?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast