1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 33 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 26 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 11 hours, 33 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 22 hours, 26 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 58 of 105 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast

Thread: Bard Detail     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Horn
    BG Level

The cosmetic change from DL boots to myth feet is staggering on a female toon.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

During a fight like Ifrit Extreme when the nails spawn how should a bard be dpsing? Should we be stacking DoTs on each nail as we kill them, stacking just one DoT per nail and if so which, spamming heavy/straight shot or just DoTing all the nails in a rotation?

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Personally, I dot the next nail in the kill rotation, then HS/BL spam on the current nail.

Example, we start on Nail 1, I dot Nail 2, then attack Nail 1 until dead, dot Nail 3, attack Nail 2 until dead, dot Nail 4, attack Nail 3 until dead, etc.. Sometimes my other DPS catch up to the nail I'm doting, so I skip ahead and dot the next nail before re-engaging the one they are on. This lets my dots work to their fullest imo, and gets me extra BLs to work with on the "current" nail.

I would say you could keep dot on Ifrit but we already have to stop/slow dps on him during the final nail phase so we don't push him under 10% and have him Hellfire us.

I do this on pretty much anything that has multiple "adds" that have low hp, that I'm not AoEing, though for some I only use one dot. ie Plumes, Gaols, Magitek Bits, etc.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Judai View Post
    Personally, I dot the next nail in the kill rotation, then HS/BL spam on the current nail.
    I do the same thing and it seems to work really well.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Persona Nongrata
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

doesnt hurt to put a flame arrow circle under the ones near the tanks.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aeris Ashe
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

If you want to maximize damage on the nails then you should DoT every nail with both Windbite and Venomous Bite with Straight Shot crit activated for all. This will not only increase your damage in general just from so many dots doing damage all at once, but your Bloodletter will be popping so fast your damage will skyrocket.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Aeris Ashe View Post
    If you want to maximize damage on the nails then you should DoT every nail with both Windbite and Venomous Bite with Straight Shot crit activated for all. This will not only increase your damage in general just from so many dots doing damage all at once, but your Bloodletter will be popping so fast your damage will skyrocket.
    You've obviously never done Ifrit Ex before.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Considering he hasn't beaten Titan Ex yet, prolly not.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aeris Ashe
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

nope I just understand basic math and have common sense. Spreading DoTs maximizes damage period and procs bloodletter way more. Unless nails die in less then 2 ticks in which case killing them shouldnt be a problem to begin with. Id love to hear your reasoning why it wouldnt be optimal to maximize your damage rather than "obviously you havent done it". you two belong together.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Always the gimpest one that barks the highest

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...acter/5271341/

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

nope I just understand basic math and have common sense. Spreading DoTs maximizes damage period and procs bloodletter way more. Unless nails die in less then 2 ticks in which case killing them shouldnt be a problem to begin with. Id love to hear your reasoning why it wouldnt be optimal to maximize your damage rather than "obviously you havent done it". you two belong together.
    1. It's not possible or extremely hard to apply Venomous Bite on the Nails in Ifrit Ex.
    2. Even with an extremely low GCD it will take you over 30 secs to apply all dots on 13 nails in the final phase. And since you're really good with numbers, you should know how long Wind Bite takes to wear off. Let alone the fact that you won't have time to dps the rest of the nails and the pt will most likely wipe because of that.

You know, sometimes it's actually really usefull to know the fight.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pyrena Py
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I was going to ask some noob question about DOT on 3 or more mobs and not having time to actually DPS, but 13 nails? I'll do my best with 2, when I get up to even do it.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    False Suspect
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

iirc the nails are resistant to one of the dots to begin with. Thanks for the great advice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

nope I just understand basic math and have common sense.
    Obviously MATH and common sense don't mean shit to experience as multiple people have said why you are wrong.

you two belong together.
    Yes, we do, in the "BRDs that actually know their shit" Club.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aeris Ashe
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by 3.141592 View Post
    Even with an extremely low GCD it will take you over 30 secs to apply all dots on 13 nails in the final phase. And since you're really good with numbers, you should know how long Wind Bite takes to wear off.
    not sure if serious? windbites wearing off has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that dots do the most damage as a bard. If venomous bite is truly impossible to apply then windbite should still be applied to every single nail for max damage at the very least. The fact that the dots will see their full 20s lifespan is indicative that theyre doing max damage... so great job proving my point. Good grief..

Quote Originally Posted by 3.141592 View Post
    Let alone the fact that you won't have time to dps the rest of the nails and the pt will most likely wipe because of that.
    This, like most of your post makes no sense at all. What exactly do you think dots are? fairy dust? Once again, it takes all of 2 ticks for windbite to become your BY FAR your most potent skill. Give me ONE valid reason why you wouldnt want to maximize your most potent skill. Ill be waiting.

You know, sometimes it's actually useful to not be a total asshole and just add something useful to the conversation.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pyrena Py
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I haven't done Titan EX either, but it would seem to me that yes, if the nails were just hanging out waiting to be killed at your leisure, and you were trying to see how fast your group could kill them to settle a bet or something, that might be the most efficient way. I haven't done the math. But I can't see that actually working in a hectic fight.

Focus target the nail currently being kill by the PT.

/bloodletter <ft>
    /windbite <t>

Worth the trouble? Not really if your party is good.

But denying that it would give you the most damage potential is just ignorant.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aeris Ashe
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

dotting stationary targets is neither hectic or troublesome thank you for acknowledging that it does max damage, something everyone should know by now.

You really want bloodletter after windbite on your macro if you want to maximize your damage though. Its not negligible despite what judai would have you think

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

You don't want either in a macro because macros are terrible and you HAVE to hit every button for the extra 4dps.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Focus target the nail currently being kill by the PT.

/bloodletter <ft>
    /windbite <t>
    This is something completely different and not what was said in the original posting. Pretty sure not what was meant too, because Aeris never uses any macros, as stated in another thread.
    And switching targets manualy back and forth in Ifrit Ex... yeah. Not sure if that's a good idea.

not sure if serious? windbites wearing off has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that dots do the most damage as a bard.
    On their own?

You know, sometimes it's actually useful to not be a total asshole and just add something useful to the conversation.
    So I was an asshole by pointing out, that you've never done the fight before and don't know the mechanics. Which you tried to hide and basically let ppl run against the wall with your advice to apply Venomous Bite. I am the asshole, when you go on about how everyone else except you is wrong and are plain rude to ppl calling them stupid and assholes. Everything with no hard evidence for your claims whatsoever. Fair enough.

Closed Thread
Page 58 of 105 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast