1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 14 hours, 22 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 9 hours, 37 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 7 hours, 22 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 2 hours, 37 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

I believe he's asking if the casting animation locks your server position into place like a Jump does. For instance, you're running out of an AOE and you decide to lob a spear behind you (because fuck that guy) and on your screen, your character appears to continue moving throughout the animation, and you clearly make it out of the circle before it disappears... and then , just as your landing back on your feet from throwing your spear, several yalms away from the edge of the circle, it disappears... and then you get hit with whatever you were trying to dodge, and probably die because you had Blood for Blood on and you're a squishy ass DPS.

Try using Talon while running into an obstacle you can jump over, see if it works. I doubt it tho.

I don't see any reason the jump animations in ranged attacks would actually register your character as jumping, I assume it's purely an animation.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Are we talking about the backwards jump for getting out of AoE? Piercing Talon doesn't appear to lock your position while moving - it's an instant ability and is similar to how an archer can run circles and fight. Be careful when running away from a mob and using piercing talon because your character will immediately change orientation and face the mob - so if you are running forward (away) then you will continue running forward but toward the mob.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

So I did test this a little just now. Piercing Talon did not let me jump over any obstacles, but it really did seem like I had about a half second less to run out of AoE range. I don't think there would be any way to collect actual data on this so my perception might just be biased.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    Are we talking about the backwards jump for getting out of AoE? Piercing Talon doesn't appear to lock your position while moving - it's an instant ability and is similar to how an archer can run circles and fight. Be careful when running away from a mob and using piercing talon because your character will immediately change orientation and face the mob - so if you are running forward (away) then you will continue running forward but toward the mob.
    One of many reasons to use Legacy movement instead of Standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    Try using Talon while running into an obstacle you can jump over, see if it works. I doubt it tho.
    That's because an Animation does Dick for your Y axis value.

If you're moving while in an animation that doesn't physically lock your X/Z value like (like Jump/Dragonfire Dive) but shows you jumping, you're Y axis maintains the value of the terrain value. Mashing Space Bar for Jumping alters your Y axis, hence why you can jump a small fence.

The question is, if while spamming Javelin with no X/Z lock (visually), when does the server update your x/z position if you're moving. After the 3 seconds (example) of the animation, or does it continuously update your x/z even while in the animation?

I'd like to think continuously but, I've had a couple of almost-close calls that make me think otherwise.

Edit: Here's a test, I would but not at home: Try using Ring of Talons at an obstacle just like you did, while nearly instantly pressing the Jump button right after and see if you go over. Chances are it won't but if it does let you jump over we can use that info somewhat.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trine Traverse
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    One of many reasons to use Legacy movement instead of Standard.
    Legacy is superior as long as you're playing a melee. If you ever make the switch to a caster DPS you'll be pulling your hair after a couple dungeons. Not being able to turn your character while casting was a dealbreaker for me.

all of our healers use legacy

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trine Traverse
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    all of our healers use legacy
    That's why I wrote caster DPS. You don't have to face the person you're healing.

oh, you know you can make it so it turns you to face your target yea?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trine Traverse
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    oh, you know you can make it so it turns you to face your target yea?
    You mean the way it's set up by default? No shit. Unless I'm misunderstanding and there's a way to make your character actually follow the mob while you're casting.(A la Aion)

Getting a 2.5s cast cancelled because the monster moved out of your face gets old pretty fast.

I don't play a DRG but I'd like to know this as well. Casting being cancelled due to a mob moving is not fun at all.

I've noticed that my character sometimes turns to face the mob upon casting being completely, while sometimes it gets cancelled. Not sure what causes either though. (BTW I use Standard with a PS3 controller)

Then we are also aware the face target command works during casts

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

/facetarget homies

Was doing Titan other night, and "tested" the regular Jump ability during Easy Bombs. As it turns out, the game does consider your position during an animation as I got hit by the Boulder Blast as I was on my way back to the safe spot, which would time the explosion at the point I dropped on Titan.

That was interesting to find out.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Learned that shit this morning. I used Elusive Jump to get out of an AoE... Technically I was in the air and died at the new location far away from AoE range. So fucking stupid.

filthy liars!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deuce Angaar
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    Was doing Titan other night, and "tested" the regular Jump ability during Easy Bombs. As it turns out, the game does consider your position during an animation as I got hit by the Boulder Blast as I was on my way back to the safe spot, which would time the explosion at the point I dropped on Titan.

That was interesting to find out.
    Yeah your position doesn't update until the animation fully finishes as far as I'm aware. Jumps also make for some annoying instances in which a jump is used just prior to an AoE being thrown down while your character is stuck until the 3-4 second animation finishes.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

If I recall correctly, Jump never actually changes your character's position, just moves the camera. That's incredibly shitty that Elusive Jump doesn't register until the end of the animation... you would think it would be the other way around so dying 15 yalms away from danger never ever happens.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

You can actually make use of Jump's "return to original position" feature in some instances, such as on Demon Wall when it uses Repel. If you trigger Jump right before Repel while standing immediately in front, you end up back in front of the wall after the animation finishes. This also works in instances where you would have been knocked off the edge.

green jellybean
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

The only times I have successfully found a use for elusive jump is if there is Aoe blocking my path to a location, such as Hydra; also, during AK runs when I get bubbled, jump away to deposit bubble then spinshatter back. Regular jump I use in areas where I have to stay in a fixed spot, but the mob is outside of my targetable area

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast