1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 4 hours, 35 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 19 hours, 24 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 21 hours, 35 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 12 hours, 24 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Arcanist Thread.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The Arcanist Thread.

Since there seems to be a few other class/job threads popping up, I figure we might as well start one for the discussion on the newcomer to the party, especially since it seems like it could be fairly complex due to its ability to change party roles. Post pictures of your arcanists, discuss class quests, tell tales of your exploits against monsters of wee stature and big ferocity, and discuss the optimum gearsets.

I'll start off with a bit of informal testing! Carbuncle appears to share at least some stats with the summoner! A friend noticed how emerald carbys gust move has the same damage as the summoners ruin spell, which led me to experiment. At level 20, adding 1 point of vitality raised topaz's hp by 16! I easily added over 120 hp to him by simply changing my gear around slightly.

However! These changes do not apply instantly. If you change your gear, say, by adding more vitality, your carbuncles hp will not change until you resummon him!

Another thing i found out: your weapons base damage affects topaz's melee damage and skill move damage as well. Changing from the level 20 arcanist tome to a weathered tome made him hit for a puny 3 damage a hit on level 21 ochus, instead of 9-12 with a correct level tome.

And yes, adding more int increases your emerald carbuncles nuke damage. As far as I could tell, determination gear also boosts your carbuncles melee and nukes, although with only 3 determination in gear I couldn't say this with certainty.

This is leading me to think that strength will increase topaz carbys melee damage and skills as well, and my early testing ::seemed:: to support this, but with only 6 strength in gear, I couldn't say for sure, as it only seemed the average only increased by like 2-3 damage. I'm hoping to hit higher levels, since gear gives bigger boosts then and I could test more easily.

A friend, however, argued that he tested and found that adding INT increased topaz's damage, but I didn't find this to be the case myself. I'm thinking both int and str need to be tested to see how they affect or don't affect carbys melee damage. A few other things that could bear testing: things like defense. Is carby's defense the same as your own? Is this why protect can't be cast on him, because he would be double dipping on defense then? (does protect on the master boost carbys defense at all?) What about things like enmity increases? I'm curious to see if int will be the go to for ACN and SMN, or if we will wind up with a few different skillsets depending on which role we are playing as.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm about to hit 30 so I'll test STR with Ifrit when I unlock SMN but I doubt 6 STR is enough to say anything at this point especially with Topaz and its low damage. I'm honestly not expecting STR to have any effect on pets because it really wouldn't help the class/job much (losing INT will also lower your own damage output, Garuda would be the DD pet of choice if Ifrit needed STR to shine).
    On the other hand I'll see if SCH's fairies are linked to your own mind when it comes to their cures.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Was just looking at xivb skill list for SMN and I don't see Titan on there (Summon IV). Is it not in the game yet or is their list incomplete?

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

edit: oops misread nevermind

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Zzsark View Post
    Was just looking at xivb skill list for SMN and I don't see Titan on there (Summon IV). Is it not in the game yet or is their list incomplete?
    Summon 1 = Garuda, 2 = Titan, 3 = Ifrit.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Kiarax View Post
    Summon 1 = Garuda, 2 = Titan, 3 = Ifrit.
    Ha... yeah I wasn't thinking. Ok makes sense thanks.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I wonder if Scholar will still be okay if you spec into INT.

Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

About 33 1/2 and couldn't finish the level 30 quest because of the instance issues. Does anyone know if it leads to SCH and SMN after finishing?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Enygma Xii
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

No idea how they are doing the duo nature of ACN with Jobs but the lv 30 class quest should grant u the Job specs.

Also SCH is the only job that can cross-class Cleric Stance so factor that in if you wanna spend Stat Points.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zane Farus
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Has anyone tested if raging strikes affects dot damage?

Also what are you guys using for your cross skills? I've been using Aero, Thunder, Foresight.

Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

Quote Originally Posted by samalis View Post

Also what are you guys using for your cross skills? I've been using Aero, Thunder, Foresight.
    Right now I'm using stoneskin and swiftcast, but I could add more just too lazy. Swiftcast is nice because it's like a 60 second CD to insta cast carby. Nice for switching between Emerald and Topaz in the middle of battle.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm using Thunder, Aero, Stoneskin and Swiftcast.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by samalis View Post

In phase 3 and earlier, buffs did not affect DoT damage. By all reports that seems to have changed since phase 4, but I haven't had a chance to personally corroborate. Should only take a few seconds to confirm via any training dummy.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I can confirm that Raging Strikes does increase DoT damage. My DoT went from 89ish to 110 or so.

Edit: Also INT influences melee damage for your pets. Topaz went from 18-19 damage per hit to 10 when I summoned him naked.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

gee this is going to make spending your bonus attributes all the more tricky.

I intend to play more SMN than SCH for jobs, but would like to have more of an all rounded pet or rather one that i can gear for. if DoW type stats are gonna be harder to come by would it make sense to invest bonus points in those instead>?

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

But you can allocate points for each class separately. Arcanist point allocation only has to be decided between INT for Summoner or MND for Scholar. If you want to be well-rounded between the two jobs, just push INT since Scholar gets to use Cleric Stance, which can put said INT to use, while Summoner can't do a whole lot with MND.

Raging Strikes doesn't affect base attributes like STR or even secondary stats like Attack, it just "Increases damage dealt."

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    gee this is going to make spending your bonus attributes all the more tricky.

I intend to play more SMN than SCH for jobs, but would like to have more of an all rounded pet or rather one that i can gear for. if DoW type stats are gonna be harder to come by would it make sense to invest bonus points in those instead>?
    Why would you need DoW stats? I have none on my gear and removing all of it reduced Carby's melee damage. Clearly it's something I have (likely INT) that's influencing him.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zane Farus
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Apparently Bio 1 and Bio 2 stack

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quickest way to get 14 -> 15 THM w/o MSQ? I realized I had for some reason left my THM at 14 and now it is cockblocking my SMN

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Why would you need DoW stats? I have none on my gear and removing all of it reduced Carby's melee damage. Clearly it's something I have (likely INT) that's influencing him.
    defensive stats? i know its a bit early to be looking at pet tank builds but its a plausible area to explore, especially given how useful carby tank generally is. would also be pretty interesting for ACN/SMN/SCH groups

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast