1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 5 hours, 59 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 18 hours, 0 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 22 hours, 59 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 11 hours, 0 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gray Spy
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

So what's the definitive stance on VIT / STR for Paladin tanking? Should one go after purely VIT when inputting stat points? or Mix it? I have been spreading mine to mostly VIT, secondary STR, then some DEX.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eurlin Vindictae
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Titan
    WoW Realm
    Dalvengyr

I've been thinking about this, and wouldn't it make sense to build up DEX on PLD actually? Everyone says you don't notice the STR and it's not a big deal, and everyone else thinks you don't need 450 HP if you're actually geared for what you're running. so most of our gear comes with loads of STR and VIT and we're from what everyone is saying well over enough to where neither one makes a noticeable dent to help us.

Wouldn't a boost to DEX help with our proc rates be more of a help if that's the case? I'm still not sure where the numbers are to prove anything right now. looks like everything is still speculation, and honestly I think it comes down to gear still. most people should probably start out with VIT until they're geared out, and then push into STR or DEX depend on how the % of increase affects them

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    As I recall, it was the same for all; 2 DTR is equivalent to:

- 1 STR for melee damage
    - 1 DEX for ranged damage
    - 1 INT for magic damage
    - 1 MND for healing potency
    (This matches up with the limited testing I did, so I'll second it.) Though in some cases determination wasn't enough to bump certain heals up/down any.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Went all VIT for PLD, wouldn't change it until I was using Relic+1/Allagan and iLv90 VIT gear and even then it's a maybe. Only drawback is you can't hold hate from a good Warrior without them not doing any real DPS.
    Up to turn 2 of coil I've yet to find anything that makes the extra VIT worth it as someone who's gone full STR. Highest hits I take are about 3500 and I have 5100 HP while missing Darklight leg/feet combo which could boost me up to 52-5300 or even more if food was actually available for purchase on non-legacy. As long as my healers are on top of things I see no benefit to VIT yet. Maybe turn 3-5 will be less forgiving with spike damage but I haven't looked into those fights yet.

I like turtles.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nadrojj Rolyatt
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I was full STR as PLD, then one of the PLDs in my FC was like you need to go full vit not STR. So I swapped to full vit to give it a try and I notice I seem to lose threat a bit easier when running with a well geared DPS, not sure if the trade off of higher health is worth it. Was thinking of going 2 to 1 ration of str to vit might be best, but was coming here to see what others were saying. I just got my DL head/body combo yesterday and I still need to farm up a bunch more darklight. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Since I got the seals to burn, I'm gonna be switching back to full STR and see how it goes. But from what I've experienced, full STR gives stronger threat and full VIT gives a bigger hp pool. Damage mitigation from STR isn't even an argument. DEX is bad for the same exact reason why you don't increase STR for block rate.

I enjoyed both specs, but I'm more biased for VIT because I use Duty Finder a lot and my healers are bad.

I've never done a STR/VIT mix, simply because I don't know how effective it'd be. But I can't imagine it's anything game-changing.

-----

After some respeccing and testing, I will (further) conclude that every PLD should not be going full STR. STR PLD is cool for everything Pre-Garuda, but once you start Garuda and onwards, the HP discrepancy is very clear. Even in full Darklight, my HP was lower than PLDs who were not, which... bugged the living hell out of me.

You may also try 20VIT/10STR and see if that works out better. I'm currently this spec and I feel comfortable here, but VIT > STR by far.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arximiro Dragonheart
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

So now that the game has been out a few weeks, do we know what is best for DRG? STR first obviously, but then is it crit, deter, skill speed? What should be the focus? I keep hearing different things from different people.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Accuracy becomes pretty important in Coil of Bahamut. For instance, on Paladin, you will want your enmity combo to land, and you will want your silences and stuns to land. With low accuracy, you will miss a ton.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So, I obviously haven't gotten very far, but can you dump all MND into SCH and all INT into SMN? Or do they share points? I'm only just now doing the quest for BLM on THM.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin View Post
    So, I obviously haven't gotten very far, but can you dump all MND into SCH and all INT into SMN? Or do they share points? I'm only just now doing the quest for BLM on THM.
    The points are set by class (Arcanist), not job. You need to either go all out on one and totally gimp the other, or do some mix and make them both semi-gimp. Considering every other class is only tied to one job, it's really a disappointing design choice since you really can't play both most effectively (+/-30 main stat is a huge difference). You can switch every now and then with the GC item, I guess.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin View Post
    SCH and SMN share points. I'd pick one you'll use more often, or want to use more often, for endgame and dump points towards that one. If you split them it won't make too much difference either. At 50, I believe the extra 30MND heals an extra 50HP or something. Seravi did a breakdown in the Arcanist Thread here. If you split it, maybe you'll only heal 20-30?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Points are shared unfortunately. They're tied to the base class rather than the job.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    (+/-30 main stat is a huge difference).
    lolno

Also, I invested in neither (all PIE baby) and every time I've been in an 8-man with 2SCH my cures were more potent. Literally every time.
    Sure, my gear is always better but its usually not leaps and bounds better 'cause I'm too lazy to go all out on gearing anyway.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroikage View Post
    lolno

Also, I invested in neither (all PIE baby) and every time I've been in an 8-man with 2SCH my cures were more potent. Literally every time.
    Sure, my gear is always better but its usually not leaps and bounds better 'cause I'm too lazy to go all out on gearing anyway.
    A) Oh god 2 SCH why
    B) Other SCH has super-shit gear (and/or a much worse weapon, and/or also not investing in MND) to be noticeably more shit at heal potency.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

A) 2xSCH because fuck waiting forever for a nig to come WHM when there's 2 healers ready to go and we win anyway..? That's why.
    B) No. (unless you consider holy key to be a 'much worse' weapon than Omnilex)

30MND is like 30 on Physick, less on Adloquim and Succor. Big whoop.
    WD is more a difference even if its a tiny difference in WD.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

By my bullshitnumbers (heal test part 2, sig), 5MND 3DMG (Key vs Omnilex) is still less than 30 MND. It's about the same jump as going from Omnilex to +1.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Well then, I'd say your numbers are probably off because this isn't theory.