1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 0 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 59 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 11 hours, 0 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 22 hours, 59 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Pugilist/monk discussion     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Nullibicity View Post
    Is it better to have strength or determination?
    All true heroes have both.

Spoiler: show
    STR is about twice as effective at raising damage as DET.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Pugilist/monk discussion

I am really glad to hear MNK can do quite well. I have personally been gearing my MNK up on the side to have it ready for a rainy day. It was my primary dps job in 1.0 though so I had Sphairai and some DL already at 2.0 launch and have been investing my philo into it since SMN is so meh.

I was working out a rotation the other day on paper and it became quite long. It's somewhere on my desk and I am wondering if anyone with far more time has put some effort towards writing a few out which are effective, or one solid rotation that tops them all right now. Is the one on page on tested solid?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinXno View Post
    im full DL/i70+1 Avengers+1 with triple deter IV, and i fall way behind blm and brd on titan hard

since ranged can DPS while avoiding boulder and stuff, we should be able to burst more ...

i ve did some test on dummies, with dragonkick > twin snake > snap punch rotation only, did 200 DPS avg

and dragonkick > > twin snake > Demolish > dragonkick > twin snake > snap punch , repeat last rotation until demolish buff down etc.. , averaged 180 DPS

Demolish dot is taken in , with ffxivapp

So really is it worth all those super complicated rotation ?

Im agree to switch dragon kick by bootshine, when keeping up DK buff, but true strike ( 5% more crit wow amazing) for me is useless and demolition test show its useless too , well on HNM dot might weigh more.

Also i have seen something strange about Rockbreaker, it says "duration 18 sec" but i dont really see to what it applies ... i checked if there where dot , but there is none
    Even with FFXIVAPPs errors MNK can do way more against a target dummy and with way less gear.

5th time touching Monk, way full of shit.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

He only has two pieces of DL? Weapon isn't the end all.

6th time, Garuda's Talons, same duration.

And I'm not even really that solid on Monk lol, I've attacked target dummies 4 times and played it in a dungeon twice. I'm not even sure I like how the UI I'm using, I think I'd rather 1-3-4 be main combo and 2-5 be blunt buff/demolish.

Biggest thing you have to be conscious of is actually auto-attacking your target while moving positions because attacks are a huge portion of your damage.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Biggest thing you have to be conscious of is actually auto-attacking your target while moving positions because attacks are a huge portion of your damage.
    whats the best way to do this? lol I seem to run a tangent line to the mob to get to the back and I'm sure I miss autoattacks doing that are you spamming F when you move?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Meh, I probably should be doing higher DPS than I am looking at what I'm wearing, I don't really know what I'm doing wrong, I could probably increase a bit my DPS by not renewing Touch of Death at the same time as Demolish since it lasts almost twice as long, but I don't think it'd make that big of a difference. Parse seems to be a bit longer tho looking at total damage.

Gear:
    Spoiler: show

Yep, that's the green weapon from Wanderer's :<

What I'm doing so far is Perfect Balance > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch x3 to get GLIII up ASAP then it's Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Blood for Blood > Demolish > Touch of Death > Internal Release > Dragon Kick/Bootshine > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Dragon Kick/Bootshine > Twin Snakes > Demolish > Touch of Death > Dragon Kick/Bootshine and so on.

I use BFB and IR when I see it most convenient and can make use of its duration as much as I can so it doesn't get wasted, like on Ifrit slide thingie, running back and forth from killing adds, Titan's rock or whatever it is, and usually use Howling Fist when I'm under their effect.

Dragon Kick/Bootshine = use Bootshine when possible, if not DK takes priority to renew/apply the -10% Blunt resistance,

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Jubei'Thos

/

Have any theories come to light about the amount of skill speed we should have at 50?

Quote Originally Posted by Fondue View Post
    whats the best way to do this? lol I seem to run a tangent line to the mob to get to the back and I'm sure I miss autoattacks doing that are you spamming F when you move?
    Stay locked on as much as possible and enable whatever config option causes you to face target when you use a skill.

Never cut through a mob unless it's for survival/chasing adds/anything unrelated to DPSing the target you're cutting through. You get position credit as soon as you execute your action, so don't wait for the flying text and keep circle-strafing.

A. Body
    BG Level

Does Fists of Wind still reduce WS recast or is the tooltip old? The tooptips on the WSs themselves don't change, so I was wondering.

Buff tooltips are copy-pastes of 1.0. Skill tooltips are correct.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by LD View Post
    Does Fists of Wind still reduce WS recast or is the tooltip old? The tooptips on the WSs themselves don't change, so I was wondering.
    Movement speed only, but it does help a lot on Titan fight at the second phase !

A. Body
    BG Level

I see. I will still use it for certain fights or if the elemental damage becomes relevant. Incidentally, is the elemental damage every relevant? I remember the old primal battles has resists, but do they now?

there is no elemental damage.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I've been parsing some fights lately and It bothers me a lot how I keep losing GLIII, it really should last a bit longer, 18-20s would be ideal

I haven't touched my DRG yet since 1.0 so I can't really say for myself, but they seem to have it much easier in some bosses (especially primal fights) than MNKs since they don't have to worry about keeping a 12s buff up every time they have to dodge something or phase changes during bosses, some of them you're lucky and get comboing again just in time, but usually I lose it :<

Primal fights it looks like MNKs are behind because you're not able to keep GL3 all the time, Garuda on a less degree, but I've lost it a few times D:

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So close to MNK, yet so far. Having a lot of fun with the class, although Im not liking the high frequency of position changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarian View Post
    I've been parsing some fights lately and It bothers me a lot how I keep losing GLIII, it really should last a bit longer, 18-20s would be ideal

I haven't touched my DRG yet since 1.0 so I can't really say for myself, but they seem to have it much easier in some bosses (especially primal fights) than MNKs since they don't have to worry about keeping a 12s buff up every time they have to dodge something or phase changes during bosses, some of them you're lucky and get comboing again just in time, but usually I lose it :<

Primal fights it looks like MNKs are behind because you're not able to keep GL3 all the time, Garuda on a less degree, but I've lost it a few times D:
    It seems to me that that's essentially the tradeoff from, if MNK could stay fully lubed™ 100% of the time they would probably beat the pants off of DRG and any other DD.

MNK requires more concentration and coordination of skills than the other DDs so it should have a higher "ceiling" for damage potential, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can always reach that ceiling.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

That's what worries me, there has to be a trade off for obvious reasons but if you end up losing more damage because you keep losing GLIII due to phase changes/avoiding stuff that trade off isn't worth it at all.

I haven't reached The Binding Coil of Bahamut yet, how are the encounters there? Are the they like Ifrit'a were you spend 10+ seconds doing nothing but try to not get hit constantly?

I enjoy MNK and still have a lot to learn, but I don't want to get hit by an artificial wall.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast