1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 45 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 17 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 16 hours, 45 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 50 of 69 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 ... LastLast

Thread: Pugilist/monk discussion     submit to reddit submit to twitter

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

You need at least 490 to not miss from the front.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

So I've been farming as much as I can for myth tomes to get all the books needed for my atma to be upgraded. As most of us know, the fastest way to grind myth tomes is running Brayflox HM and taking out the first two bosses and rinsing and repeating.

I've come across quite a few players who didn't think that MNK would be viable for speed runs because they either don't know that MNKs have decent AoEs or that they don't think much of the AoEs themselves.

When I make parties for speed runs, I have the tank understand that if it's just me and a BRD or another melee DPS, he just needs to break the first pull of mobs into two pulls and then lock out the last two mobs (or one if the plant ochu thing gets slept). But if it's BLM then we usually are ok with one big pull or one good size pull and one smaller one at the end.
    Then we burn the boss whilst ignoring adds and pull all the gliders and gather them together as tight as possible, usually somewhere near the "sneakway" hole to the 2nd boss. Then burn the boss, ignoring adds like before.

With a BLM in the party and everyone executing well, these runs average about 8-9 minutes. The only struggle that MNKs will really deal with is running out of TP even after popping invigorate.

Here is the AoE rotation that I use:

Pop cool downs then Arm of the Destroyer -> Twin Snakes/True Strike (depending on the position of the mob) -> Rock Breaker

I will also use mantra when I see the healer struggling to heal the tank if the tank pulls too big a group or if there is lag or something. I don't know how effective it is, but I'm assuming every little bit of extra healing helps.

The great thing about this combo is it will get GL going and you'll be pushing this rotation rapidly. But as I stated above it can be tricky because of the TP you burn through. I usually pop invigorate around 200 TP and by then most mobs are either dead or almost dead and can use single-target attacks to finish whatever's left off.

Anyone else use a similar setup or have a different one that works well?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Arm of the Destroyer isn't my favorite because it's a lot of TP for a 50 potency attack. I use Dragon Kick instead and try to rotate it onto different mobs for reducing the blunt resistance. Use Howling fist after Blood for Blood/Internal Release.

I also use Invigorate around 400 TP.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rehn Valor
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Did a few run as mnk brd war sch and if we wanted to, we'd have finished around 6-7 min for 2nd boss, but we opted for full runs since we needed soldiery. SCH went DPS mode and packs usually melted with requiem. Did normal pulls as well, and didn't have to break the first pack into 2 parts. PB > rockbreaker spam, then dk>snap>rb. Didn't use arms since it was a huge TP drain, but it might be ok when everything is alive at start (and the damage:TP is actually worth it).

PB should always be up for the 2 major pulls for sure, 3 if you do a full clear, which is around 11-12 min for my group. Mostly allagan weapon/i90 gear.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely look into replacing AoD and adding in PB. :D

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rehn Valor
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I should clarify that during the start of the packs, I go dk or bs > snap, then blood/internal, then PB rockbreaker spam. This way I make full use of PB to just aoe the pack down, with the buff from snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Illsathe View Post
    Arm of the Destroyer isn't my favorite because it's a lot of TP for a 50 potency attack. I use Dragon Kick instead and try to rotate it onto different mobs for reducing the blunt resistance. Use Howling fist after Blood for Blood/Internal Release.
    A 50 potency attack distributed over 12 mobs is a 600 potency attack: 4 times as potent as DK for just over twice the TP cost. Furthermore, if you have a BRD, ask for Paeon so all your TP problems melt away.

The other problem I have with trying to distribute DK to mass targets Brayflox is disengaging your auto-attack as you move about. The only times you should change target in these situations is if your current target isn't positioned optimally for Rockbreaker.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Almalexia View Post
    A 50 potency attack distributed over 12 mobs is a 600 potency attack: 4 times as potent as DK for just over twice the TP cost. Furthermore, if you have a BRD, ask for Paeon so all your TP problems melt away.

The other problem I have with trying to distribute DK to mass targets Brayflox is disengaging your auto-attack as you move about. The only times you should change target in these situations is if your current target isn't positioned optimally for Rockbreaker.
    This is pretty much how I see it and with a BRD in the party restoring TP we were doing 7-8 min runs easy.

2,500 more myth and I'll finally have my animus. >.<

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Venus Sama
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

So I'm working towards the BIS list that was posted some pages back, but I'm curious with so much ACC on gear, how useful/worth it do you think Saurian boots are? And what materia would you meld?

I can't make my mind up!!

My group is currently at T7 and about to down it soooo some of the gear is reachable. I have the head and ear already and all the prior BIS items.

Suggestions/opinions?

Also currently undecided on weapon... i'm switchin between allagan and NQ Levi depending acc, but unsure where to devote my time to first since High Allagan is out of reach atm

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Well, you just need 4 det on the boots, so past that you'd probably meld acc anyway. I'm not concentrating on my mnk right now so I got the boots and melded acc iv, speed iv, acc iii x2, det iii. If you're getting them cause you're overboard on acc, speed iv x2, det iii, speed ii and a free slot for idk what...

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Venus Sama
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Soooo yeah I don't have any ACC issues at all so I prolly won't bother then! We just downed/one shot T7 soooo YAY the Glanz will be my next purchase I think since Allagan is still miles off.

Thanks for the input!!

Also, really swayin back and forth on the whole Det > crit or Crit > det!!

Alot are saying that det doesn't scale well at high ilvl (Which was my original opinion) but a lot are saying once Crit hits a certain point its useless.

Really need to figure this stuff out before I start spending xD

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

what was 2.1's bis of mnk? missing allagan body but got the h2h to drop earlier. I just lose a lot more acc then I thought I would :s

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Venus Sama
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

You most likely need the myth pants for the acc if you don't have them already.
    I don't have the link to hand but thats what i needed to get for acc when i got mine.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

yeah, if you're going to be sticking with the allagan weapons for a while, myth pants are pretty much necessary for stuff like coil that actually requires accuracy. granted soldiery pants would also work, but you're obviously much better off spending those tomes toward glanzfaust instead, provided getting the necessary clear is feasible.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Current mnk atm, once I get body piece it's gonna drop more acc unfortunately
    http://cdn.guildwork.net/albums/imag...04eb0ffe50.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Shaano View Post
    Get yourself some Levi knuckles.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Holy crap, so many replies, I couldn't possibly read them all.

But for simplicity sake, I keep my rotation super easy to maintain.

Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Death Touch (all from the side) then I go to the back and do
    Bootshine > True Strike > Demolish > Impulse Drive (Lancer) all from the back.

This has made it SUPER easy to maintain and I get everything stacked on my target. I'm not heavily geared, but sometimes I feel like I out damage some of the better geared dps classes (maybe they're just being lazy?).

I also throw in my Howling Fist whenever it is up, hey, it's a freebie and should be used every chance I can. I've also noticed in raids that NO OTHER MONK ever uses Mantra.... I mean I haven't been 50 for very long, but I do see WAY too many lazy monks out there. Perhaps that is the problem (kinda like the Scholar's who will stand there and let Eos heal for them - while everyone wipes. ugh.)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Archous View Post
    Then why should anyone read yours? Especially when you don't say anything meaningful? Especially when you're using Impulse Drive?

You talk about lazy monks and then tout your super easy rotation that uses Impulse Drive and Touch of Death every other finisher. C'mon.

Edit: I should go into the Paladin thread and recommend the usage of Fast Blade > Savage Blade > Rage of Halone.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shaano View Post
    http://cdn.guildwork.net/albums/imag...04eb0ffe50.jpg
    Melee circlet would be an easy swap to get you to T6 accuracy, for T7 you'd probably need Inferno Bangle as well. Beyond that you're going to need to work on Sphairai Animus, Levi knuckles, or hold your Soldiery and pray/beg for the first Allagan Tombstone your group gets so you can buy Glanzfaust.

Buying the soldiery body at this point would be pretty dumb in my opinion.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Melchior Ballester
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Archous View Post

But for simplicity sake, I keep my rotation super easy to maintain.

Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Death Touch (all from the side) then I go to the back and do
    Bootshine > True Strike > Demolish > Impulse Drive (Lancer) all from the back.

This has made it SUPER easy to maintain and I get everything stacked on my target. I'm not heavily geared, but sometimes I feel like I out damage some of the better geared dps classes (maybe they're just being lazy?).

I also throw in my Howling Fist whenever it is up, hey, it's a freebie and should be used every chance I can. I've also noticed in raids that NO OTHER MONK ever uses Mantra.... I mean I haven't been 50 for very long, but I do see WAY too many lazy monks out there. Perhaps that is the problem (kinda like the Scholar's who will stand there and let Eos heal for them - while everyone wipes. ugh.)
    Perfect balance do you have it?

Closed Thread
Page 50 of 69 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 ... LastLast