1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 15 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 44 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 17 hours, 15 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 16 hours, 44 minutes
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 69 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Pugilist/monk discussion     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neviskio Mordekaiser
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Crushridge

Pugilist/monk discussion

Hello guys, thought I'd start this topic while cooling down on my rage(today managed to be online for hours and not accomplish much due to duty finder lulz), I'm not really a good theorycrafter so I can't put much input, but I'm wondering a few things for those who can and who know so maybe we can get a discussion rolling.

I'm wondering how's the performance of monks at 50 or how experienced players are feeling.I'm a bit bummed about the class, ignoring the funnily bugged tooltips of some abilities, I'm feeling sub-par on damage.

I'm currently going with the rotation like this:

Keep touch of death up--->bootshine from behind---> twin snakes from sides--->demolish---> bootshine from behind--->true strikes from behind--->snap punch from sides

rinse and repeat to keep buffs up, add optional things like stuns etc, but I'm only lvl 41 so not sure on higher levels, I kinda do feel weak in terms of damage tho.For a period i felt outdamaged by MRD but that was early, how people are faring? Are we doing good as a class? I think it's quite early to be saying anything like that but I'd love to have access to more info for comparing the dps classes, since some feel really stronger.

Fun fact: I almost never see mnk/pgl around, and most people in duty finder said I was the first one they saw, are we really that uninteresting for people?XD

By the way I hope this gets something started, I need more info on the class!

I feel strong on it, but you NEED to keep Dragon Kick enfeeble up, as it boosts your damage by 10%. I keep hearing people say Mnk are useless. It seems like to me Mnk is a harder class to do well them some others; If you do badly at it, it will show. My rotation is Bootshine > Twin Snakes > Sucker Punch | Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes/True Strike > Demolish/Sucker Punch | Bootshine > True Strike > Sucker Punch | Bootshine > Twin Snakes > Sucker punch. Then back to DK combo. It varies depending on where I am during the fight. I save Perfect Balance for when I have TS and DK on and then just spam Sucker Punch from the side with full buffs up. It crits anywhere from 450 up to around 580 is the highest I've seen personally.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

These should be close to, if not the best current MNK rotations. Note that debuffs such as Touch of Death/Demolish are only really worth using on boss mobs since on trash they dont tick for enough damage to outdo actual damage skills.

Base Rotation (trash mobs):

Flank > Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Back > Bootshine > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Flank > Dragon Kick > etc etc etc

Extended Rotation (boss mobs):

Flank > Perfect Balance > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Snap Punch > Blood for Blood > Demolish > Touch of Death > Internal Release > Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Back > Bootshine > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Flank > Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Back > Bootshine > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Flank > Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > etc etc

Point of Extended Rotation is to get Greased Lightning III which is your bread and butter for max DPS up as fast as possible.
    Note that on this rotation you need to figure out yourself when it is convinient for you to reapply Touch of Death and when to replace Snap Punch with Demolish to maximize their uptime.
    Also note that I didnt include any buffs like Blood for Blood or Internal Release after the initial Perfect Balance rotation anymore since it comes down to personal preference, movement involved and other factors when to buff yourself with these skills.

Don't underestimate the power of Rockbreaker when there are 3+ mobs around, likewise with Arm of the Destroyer and 4+ mobs. Just make sure your PT isn't sleeping adds first.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neviskio Mordekaiser
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Crushridge

I'm also wondering, what abilities are you getting from your other jobs besides blood for blood? Kinda stump there, I'm still learning but I had a feeling monk was a higher effort class since the beginning.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragontyr View Post
    I keep hearing people say Mnk are useless. It seems like to me Mnk is a harder class to do well them some others; If you do badly at it, it will show
    I think your second point is true, but I say let's wait for Parser results(from equal iLevel DDs) to decide if it's useless or not. They don't have as high of spike dmg as a Lancer or even Warrior but they have a constant dmg output over time. Speed is their key IMO. Meaning I think they perform better in longer fights.

MNK is a good DPS but even though I make light of how bad people are at the game pretty often, people are really just awful at MNK.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Virg View Post
    These should be close to, if not the best current MNK rotations. Note that debuffs such as Touch of Death/Demolish are only really worth using on boss mobs since on trash they dont tick for enough damage to outdo actual damage skills.

Base Rotation (trash mobs):

Flank > Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Back > True Strike > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Flank > Dragon Kick > etc etc etc

Extended Rotation (boss mobs):

Flank > Perfect Balance > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Snap Punch > Blood for Blood > Demolish > Touch of Death > Internal Release > Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Back > True Strike > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Flank > Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Back > True Strike > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Flank > Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > etc etc

Point of Extended Rotation is to get Greased Lightning III which is your bread and butter for max DPS up as fast as possible.
    Note that on this rotation you need to figure out yourself when it is convinient for you to reapply Touch of Death and when to replace Snap Punch with Demolish to maximize their uptime.
    Also note that I didnt include any buffs like Blood for Blood or Internal Release after the initial Perfect Balance rotation anymore since it comes down to personal preference, movement involved and other factors when to buff yourself with these skills.
    True Strike requires raptor, which means you need to DK or BS before it.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Think he meant Bootshine > True Strike instead of True Strike > Twin Snakes on the "back" rotation.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Oh yeah definately did. Derp´d right there lol. Fixed post accordingly. Back > Bootshine > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > etc etc. Don´t see a reason to use True Strike at all. Biggest problem MNK has right now is Greased Lightning III will make or break your DPS. In 95% of the fights it´s almost impossible to keep up due to all the moving involved. Imo GLIII should get its duration increased from 12 to 15 if not 20 seconds.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I like to use Mercy-Stroke (from warrior skills) at 20% with Blood for blood and the critic buff up, after a set of Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch.

It would done: Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch > Buff up (Blood and critic) > Mercy-Stroke

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Are Demolish and Touch of death really worth using? I used them during my lvl20-40 phase, but dropped them at later levels in favor of just any direct damage skill over them since they can crit and seemed a better use of a GCD. Kinda hard to draw any conclusion by myself without any damage meter, I'm not exactly the kind of person to crunch numbers by eye D:

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Icarian View Post
    Are Demolish and Touch of death really worth using? I used them during my lvl20-40 phase, but dropped them at later levels in favor of just any direct damage skill over them since they can crit and seemed a better use of a GCD. Kinda hard to draw any conclusion by myself without any damage meter, I'm not exactly the kind of person to crunch numbers by eye D:
    The pure math says DoTs are worth using now after the changes in phase 4.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

And another easy question for you guys, because I can't seem to get a tank that can keep a boss stay still making positioning a nightmare.

The wording on Bootshine makes it sound like it always does critical damage if it lands from behind, but I can't properly test it myself because of what I said above, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

It also does suck that many bosses have a rear attack of some kind, making me think it's better to stay on the flank and only use bootshine if chance arises (ie, you're at that point in the rotation and there's no AoE going off from his back at that point) instead of waiting for the AoE to go off and resume DPSing then.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Icarian View Post
    And another easy question for you guys, because I can't seem to get a tank that can keep a boss stay still making positioning a nightmare.

The wording on Bootshine makes it sound like it always does critical damage if it lands from behind, but I can't properly test it myself because of what I said above, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

It also does suck that many bosses have a rear attack of some kind, making me think it's better to stay on the flank and only use bootshine if chance arises (ie, you're at that point in the rotation and there's no AoE going off from his back at that point) instead of waiting for the AoE to go off and resume DPSing then.
    Training dummies are at almost every camp.

Even if you're behind, you can just run through. That has to be the single biggest mistake I see everyone make while playing - they'd rather run to the side or backwards or do their keyboard ass J-turn instead of just running straight through and continuing DPS.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Carraway View Post
    Training dummies are at almost every camp.
    D'oh, completely forgot about them, thanks for the reminder.

And about running through the monster, I know you can, but can you just really stand at his center when a back AoE is going off and not get hit by it? Didn't know that (If that's what you're talking about).

yes

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Even if you're behind, you can just run through. That has to be the single biggest mistake I see everyone make while playing - they'd rather run to the side or backwards or do their keyboard ass J-turn instead of just running straight through and continuing DPS.
    In my experience, red rectangle = strafe, red cone = jump through middle. I have A and D set as left and right strafe. I use mouse to turn, anything else you're doing it wrong.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Tried running through the last Amdapor boss to avoid his tail swipe and it works, so there's something new I've learned today.

Any tips on keeping Greased Lightning up? That's my main concern right now, chasing down adds/running away from AoEs making me lose it and start again thus losing a good chunk of dps.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 69 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast