As of 11/04/2013 I have canceled my subscription. The game itself is lackluster and somewhat boring. I also found myself losing reaction time, rapid eye movement, and other skills due to the game being so slow and simple. I will keep updating this post until, I believe Dec 4th, after that my account will be canceled. If you wish to follow me into other games, feel free to PM me on www.youtube.com/pixelshader.
- Corrected a typo in the BiS chart on the gear post as found by Altimis
- Added a really helpful speed run video for Wanderer's Palace to the videos post. It will help you get those mythos ASAP. This video was made by Zeus Laser, tons of thanks to him for submitting this content.
- Updated the link to Jahaudant's Paladin equipment planner in the references post. This post has a lot of great work in it. It helps you be very precise your spending and rolls on gear.
- Fixed some formatting issues in the abilities post as found by Segoris.
- Added a new section in the macros post called "Miscellaneous Macro Commands". Saw some good input from Segoris and Nonlinear314 so that information is documented in this location.
- Added turn locations on Binding Coil drops to the gear post as notified to me per Soulburn32.
- Added a video on User Interface and Macros in the videos post.
- Added Jahaudant's Paladin equipment spreadsheet to the references post. This spreadsheet is an extremely useful tool that can help you select gear and see the repercussions of said gear choices. Many thanks to him for creating this.
- Updated the drop location of Allagan Legs in the gear post as submitted by Viray.
- Heavy changes done to the gear post.
- Replaced "Your first Allagan Tombstones of Mythology" section with "Best in Slot"
- Added some awesome tables created by Jahaudant . Many thanks to him.
- Raised the accuracy requirement from 472 to 475.
- Added a caution when looking at the tanking gear list. Please take note of it.
- Been MIA a bit. I plan to upload more videos asap. Interface one is about half way done.
- Updated the macros post to note that you must manually replace the apostrophes with double quotes when using copy and paste.
- Fixed a typo on the abilities post as found by MutantMonkey. You only need to be level 26 to gain Mercy Stroke, not 28.
- Also changed the verbiage on Provoke within the abilities post to prevent any unintended misinterpretation as brought up by Gopher113
- Added Chocobro.com as a resource in the references post. Some great theorycrafting can be found here.
- New post type added! There is now a Videos post. I would like to thank Gray Spy for giving me direction on how to make these videos.
- Added a video on AOE Tanking and Chain Pulling
- Added a video on Single Target (Boss) Tanking.
- New item type added to Gear post!
- Consumables are slowly being added, currently I have added Food. The ordering has some requirements so please read carefully. Massive thank you to Viray for contributing this information in a well formatted list so it can quickly and easily be added to the compendium.
- I added a "Your first Allagan Tombstones of Mythology" section that answers the reappearing question of "Where should I spend my Allagan Tombstones of Mythology?" It is very opinionated and fits into my play style, but perhaps it will give you some sort of direction should you question your own path to becoming an endgame tank.
- Updated the Cover macro in the Macros post to have a better targeting mechanic as reported by PiedPiper
- Complete overhaul on the Gear post. Found some hard data on accuracy.
- Updated the stat weights in the to include my findings. Due to these changes, I augmented the gear list to have letters signify it is an accuracy/mitigation/enmity piece.
- Quoted the source in the References post where I found the accuracy cap data.
- Finally got Conjurer to 34 and personally verified the use of Stoneskin.
- Updated the Abilities post to include further elaboration and a use case for Stoneskin.
- Gear post items now link out to their respective listing on http://xivdb.com/.
- Reordered some gear to better match Paladin stat weights.
- Fixed some gear ordering errors in the Gear post as reported by OptimusPrime.
- Updated the drop location of Darklight Macuahuitl in the Gear post as reported by Carth.
- Many other drop locations have also been updated.
- I received tons of feedback in regards to Fracture and Shield Swipe. I elaborated on them a bit in the Abilities post.
- More information on when to use certain cool downs was added to the Abilities post.
- Added Allagan tome prices in the Gear post.
- Added a source link on where I drew a concensus to choose VIT over STR on the References post.
- Added Cross Class level requirements on the Abilities post per smokingbluntsallday's request.
- Added a "Use case" line items to the Macros post to answer the question raised by Raen Ryong.
- Completely changed the layout of the Rotation post to show that Paladin uses a Priority system rather than a step by step script as requested per Churchill and Irvy.
- Added information on what data I gathered from the websites stated on the References post.
- Corrected a typo on Foresight in the Abilities post as found by Kuishen.
Table of Contents
I have been tanking for 12 years now. I started on FFXI as a Paladin, very little data was at my disposal since and I was also very young. I then moved onto Warhammer, as a Chosen still no awareness of min/maxing. When I discovered World of Warcraft my world began to open up as I was introduced to many theory crafters such as Theck, as well as pro gamers like Kungen, Sco, and Riggnaros. There was a ton of data at my disposal such as Noxxic and Icyviens. WoW is also where I decided it is best to level all tanks to make myself more of a future proof tank. I wanted to be resilient to new content and rebalancing of tanks. Later I played swtor, theory crafters there were KeyboardNinja and Dipstik. Tera had the theory crafter Eziel. I also played Rift, which had tons of information stored on Riftscene.
This is written with for a level 50 Paladin with the intent to min/max for tanking end game content. Given that, you must also have the basic understanding of what a tank's role is in a party. This guide could be useful at any level, but it will not be a perfect fit. I am in no way a theory crafter, I am an implementer. I gather information, create a general consensus of best practices, test them then draw my own conclusions. These are my findings.