1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 1 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 58 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 14 hours, 1 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 19 hours, 58 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: BLM questions     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Icarian View Post
    Got my BLM geared up and I'm still doing something wrong since I'm doing like 50 DPS less than on my MNK during long fights.

Do you guys spam Fire I instead of waiting to see if it procs Firestarter (since it has a delay) and cast Fire III after the next Fire if it procs? I've also noticed that if I cast Fire III right after Firestarter procs, sometimes it'll cast it instead of being instant and it's uninterruptible, I can run and jump but it'll keep casting it anyway, it uses the Firestarter proc so no MP use.

I don't know what's the best course of action here, spam Fire I and wait between each of them to see if Firestarter procs or spam Fire 1 without waiting and potentially lose a Firestarter if it procs twice in a row? Doing the first so far but gonna try the latter since that difference between my BLM and MNK isn't right, even if my MNK is better geared.
    You can try and parse the differences between interrupting vs not, but that might be pretty hard to do seeing how random FS proc is. Ive gone multiple rounds with no FS proc, and rounds with constant back to back.

I use to stop for proc, but it seemed worse off doing that. So I have no data to back it up, but i'm willing to bet that cancelling hurts dps. I can usually fit in another Fire1 before I even see if FS proced from the previous one. Though yes, there are many times I end up wasting a FS.

Is 3.2k hp enough for titan?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I can't really do a parse due to the randomness of FS like you said, and I'm still not doing any "big" (unless you count the occasional titan as meaningful) fights with BLM, I mainly use it for easy tomestone farming. Waiting/interrumping seems to hurt DPS more than missing a FS when it procs twice from what I'm experiencing, I have nothing to back it up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaope View Post
    Is 3.2k hp enough for titan?
    I did mine with 30xx HP (party buff included) with my FC when we were getting relics for our other jobs, as long as you don't get hit HP doesn't really matter if you can survive tumults.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Icarian View Post
    I did mine with 30xx HP (party buff included) with my FC when we were getting relics for our other jobs, as long as you don't get hit HP doesn't really matter if you can survive tumults.
    This. Also don't forget to pop that Manaward.

Start with fire3 and then spam fire1. If you get a proc, don't interrupt fire1, just use it afterward to prevent that stupid fire3 casting. Around 700 MP cast bliz3 to get umbral ice 3. Cast thunder 2 or 3 then fire3 again.

As some said, you could swiftcast flare when you gets low then convert and cast 1 fire1 then back again to bliz3.

Edit: was on a different page. Still interested to see what others think.

:3
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Skywall

I wonder if making a macro for blizzard III to cast Fire III first would be beneficial (You are always less than 1k when casting BIII), that way when you're doing something like the convert flare fire or even during your regular rotation you can pause that half-second and then just mash blizzard III, if Firestarter procs you'll do F3, if it doesn't you'll start casting blizzard? Is that how those macros work? Or would it just fail because you can't cast Fire III?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xanthe Celaeno
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Evane View Post
    Start with fire3 and then spam fire1. If you get a proc, don't interrupt fire1, just use it afterward to prevent that stupid fire3 casting. Around 700 MP cast bliz3 to get umbral ice 3. Cast thunder 2 or 3 then fire3 again.

As some said, you could swiftcast flare when you gets low then convert and cast 1 fire1 then back again to bliz3.

That's pretty much what I did for my rotation. I omitted Flare/Convert until after the heart phase though because I wanted that to be ready in time for the DPS race.

Fire 3 > Fire 1/Firestarter > Blizzard 3 > Thunder 2 > Fire 3 > Fire 1/Firestarter/Thundercloud [ > Swiftcast > Flare > Convert > Fire 1/Firestarter ] > Blizzard 3 > ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
    I wonder if making a macro for blizzard III to cast Fire III first would be beneficial (You are always less than 1k when casting BIII), that way when you're doing something like the convert flare fire or even during your regular rotation you can pause that half-second and then just mash blizzard III, if Firestarter procs you'll do F3, if it doesn't you'll start casting blizzard? Is that how those macros work? Or would it just fail because you can't cast Fire III?
    That's exactly how macros work. Lines will be executed in sequence, and if one line fails, the next will execute instead. I do the same thing on DRG to stack OFC abilities between weapon skills.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Darling Chan
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Evane View Post

You should start off with an early cast of Thunder so that you have the thunder ticks doing damage while you start your rotation, and an early chance of Thundercloud proc

Also, if you still have enough time on your thunder ticks, when you need to switch over to Blizzard III for MP, I suggest casting Scathe instead of overwriting your Thunder. It does more damage that the initial thunder hit so you'll get more DPS in!

I think people miss out on DPS when they ONLY cast Thunder as an MP filler during Blizzard III

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Darlingchan View Post
    You should start off with an early cast of Thunder so that you have the thunder ticks doing damage while you start your rotation, and an early chance of Thundercloud proc

Also, if you still have enough time on your thunder ticks, when you need to switch over to Blizzard III for MP, I suggest casting Scathe instead of overwriting your Thunder. It does more damage that the initial thunder hit so you'll get more DPS in!

I think people miss out on DPS when they ONLY cast Thunder as an MP filler during Blizzard III
    Yeah I started doing this a few weeks ago when I put Scathe in my hot bar. Cast Thunder III to start rotation and just use Scathe when refilling. I use Swiftcast to realpply Thunder 3 so I'm not slowing myself down and usually I still can get one Scathe in. I haven't looked at it recently but a good scathe can do 700+ (probably more since I got my relic+1) so it doesn't really hurt to use.

I stopped using Flare because I felt like I'd get better results trying to get Thundercloud/Firestarter procs and I've been riding the hate line on a lot of fights lately doing this. (Another reason why i need to get Archer to 34 but fuck if I wanna grind this game anymore than I have to.)

Edit - Should probably add putting Flare in your rotation for a group of fodder mobs might not be such a bad idea if only to get them dead that much quicker. Shit's situational like someone said earlier in the thread.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Why are ppl casting blizzard 3 as their 1st spell on fresh pulls?

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It's a better starter; Cheaper and faster Fire3.
    T3>B3>F3>
    Situational though. Sometimes B before T, sometimes neither, etc..

But i think it makes the most sense DPS wise to open with T3 while pulling so it gives procs a chance to happen, and then B3 to recap MP, and then F3 to give AF3 a fast kick for free.

Depends though.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Yea, start with blizzard III for the cheap fire 3, using that extra mp to sleep, thunder, whathave you.

Right now, I like to cast (when leaving fire rotation) blizzard III, followed by scathe (so they both hit at same time), and by the time GCD is done cast fire III. By the time I cast my final tic to full mp is done and /win.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Here is what I get with my rotation. I usually start out with swiftcast > T3 > F3 > F1 > repeat and procs till mp gone > T2 > F3 repeat...

This usually allows me to get Thunder back up and cast F3 again as my mp ticks full. Only time it doesn't is if I have to move and then I Scathe while moving unless I get a proc. If the choice is getting back into fire or casting Thunder (i.e. MP is full), I skip Thunder. Here is one of my parses. This is with Garuda's staff and I think I was in 3 or 4/5 Dl gear, semi crappy accessories.
    http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps5902f769.jpg

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

One thing I wanted to ask is what AF2 are people going for? Are useful?

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

pants first since if I get body i'd have to get crafted gear to replace headpiece from DL cowl.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

What are the absolute must haves for sub? so far ive seen quelling strikes must be an archer thing yea?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Raging, Quelling, Physick, Virus. Eye for an Eye isn't 100% required if you don't want to take ACN that far and the only other thing you can equip is Hawk's Eye. And you don't ever really need a temporary acc boost.

Against bosses, would it be worth to cast all Thunders to get Thundercloud off, or only 2 and 3?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Thunders all have the same debuff so no stacking. Thread is pretty back and forth on whether Thunder (x) is worth it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    Raging, Quelling, Physick, Virus. Eye for an Eye isn't 100% required if you don't want to take ACN that far and the only other thing you can equip is Hawk's Eye. And you don't ever really need a temporary acc boost.
    If the description is to be believed, Hawk's Eye is of no use to BLM.

Specifies "physical accuracy".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast