1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 36 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 23 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 18 hours, 36 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 15 hours, 23 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: BLM questions     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

BLM questions

Tried BLM today for the first time since 2011, did an Amdapor run with friends and... I did terrible DPS.

I barely did half the DPS I do with my MNK, so I must be doing something really bad.

So far what I did was cast Fire I till Firestarter pops then cast Fire III, do that till my MP is low, if I get a Firestarter proc on the last Fire I, do Transpose > Regen MP > cast Fire III so I start doing Fire I again with a full stack of Astral Fire, if Firestarter doesn't proc then just cast Blizzard III to regen MP.

I also noticed my Fire I's are doing just 250-450 non crit while my MNK combos do 300-350 non crit at a much faster rate plus I have a way higher crit rate with MNK.

Can someone point out what exactly I'm doing horribly wrong?

I almost never use Transpose. I cast Blizz III, as then you go straight to Umbral III. Then start your burn phase with Fire III to go straight to Astral 3.

Dammit Steve of the House of Weave
    BG Level

Fire III > fire I > fire III when proc > Bliz III when low on mp > thunder I(that's right, I) > fire III 2 seconds before your mp tics to full and resume fire I spam.

It's not bad damage by any means. Most melee struggle to keep up with me and in a lot of cases I wash them out in AK because you don't need to avoid any attacks 90% of the time and I just spam my infinite mp.

Why would you use Thunder I over III? MP is full by the time you cast Fire III so is it an MP issue, DPS issue or what?

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Maybe they're not aware that the proc effect for Thunder III bumps potency up to 340 (as opposed to 240)?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by CrstyCptSteveWitherspoon View Post
    Fire III > fire I > fire III when proc > Bliz III when low on mp > thunder I(that's right, I) > fire III 2 seconds before your mp tics to full and resume fire I spam.
    Sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm new to BLM myself. Why thunder I?

Edit: damn someone asked the same question while I was typing this.

BG Level

Because thunder III doesn't account for even 10% of your damage and the cast time is 1 second longer than thunder I.

Bliz III > Thunder I > Fire III you're at full mp by the time fire gets off and you're back in your rotation

Bliz III> Thunder III> Fire III you're sitting at full mp before fire gets off and you're bottle necking yourself.

All the damage blm does comes from fire spam. The more you spam the more damage you do plus the more procs you get for fire starter which is free to cast, instant and more potent than fire I. I see blm's using T3 and just shake my head. SE screwed the pooch there. Oh and as for the potency w/e with T3 that shit hardly ever procs. Fire starter is way more beneficial and reliable(though I'll go through my whole mp pool and not get a proc once in a while). If you don't believe me go ahead and parse it. Maybe I'll do it next dungeon run that I have a premade for and post the results.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amentos Vonfreshmaker
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Wyrmrest Accord

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko View Post
    Maybe they're not aware that the proc effect for Thunder III bumps potency up to 340 (as opposed to 240)?
    I use thunder I, and then when Thunderstorm procs, use Thunder III. I figured since Thunder I has the shortest cast time, that's the way to go. Is that how it should be done, or?

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by amentis View Post
    I use thunder I, and then when Thunderstorm procs, use Thunder III. I figured since Thunder I has the shortest cast time, that's the way to go. Is that how it should be done, or?
    yea that's the way you should be doing it. I usually don't even have the spell on my hot bar since I'm more worried about fire spam than the little damage t3 will do when thunderstorm actually feels like procing. And there's no way I'm going to stop my fire spam to toss out a T3 when it procs. The odds of thunderstorm being up when when I'm done casting bliz 3 is extremely low.

Also forgot to mention the mp cost difference from T1 to T3. Much easier to burn down your mp even lower and still have enough to cast T1 right away.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Hmm, the way I assumed it worked was: the tier of Thunder that applied the DoT when the 5% proc's determines the potency of your next instant/free Thunder.

So: Thunder I's DoT proc'ing would only get you 240 potency on your next Thunder spell, while Thunder III's DoT proc'ing gets you 340 potency. Plus, you get another 6 seconds (2 ticks?) out of Thunder III's DoT.

Thundercloud just adds the DoT damage to the equation... or is that a separate 5% chance?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amentos Vonfreshmaker
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Wyrmrest Accord

Oh, I have a question. What kind of AoE rotation do we use? On non-fate grindy shit, that is.

BG Level

Deff not my best ifrit(only one in log right now with me as blm, the rest are pld), and this is with no filters on so it should catch most of the dot damage but you can see how little dot damage actually compares with fire spam.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Does anyone else use Scathe right after Fire before the GCD goes off? I can usually get it in, and I don't need to wait on GCD to use it right after Fire, sure it uses a slight bit more MP, but its how I've been dpsing.

Blizzard III > Thunder II > Fire III > Fire|Scathe > Fire|Scathe (etc including Firestarter and Thunderlord), then back through the starting rotation once I'm low.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Usually I start with Thunder III > Fire III > Fire spam for Firestarter proc > end fire spam with Swiftcast + Flare if I have the MP and can't use it for Fire I > Transpose > Bliz 3 > Thunder III > Fire III > repeat.

Only real weakness is it takes one rotation for Swiftcast to recharge and you get a bit of downtime by spending all your MP using Flare. I won't use Flare if I'm doing crowd control though but I will use it if it's only like two mobs and one is close to dying. I heard of some people using Scathe for burning down some mobs fast but I don't know how viable that is and require an explanation on that.

Quote Originally Posted by AoE View Post
    Usually I start with Thunder III > Fire III > Fire spam for Firestarter proc > end fire spam with Swiftcast + Flare because why the fuck not? > Transpose > Bliz 3 > Thunder III > Fire III > repeat.

Only real weakness is it takes one rotation for Swiftcast to recharge and you get a bit of downtime by spending all your MP using Flare. I won't use Flare if I'm doing crowd control though but I will use it if it's only like two mobs and one is close to dying. I heard of some people using Scrathe for burning down some mobs fast but I don't know how viable that is.
    Flare and Convert go really well together, usually you can get an additional cast of Fire if you do that.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Litz Zatsuza
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Flare and Convert go really well together, usually you can get an additional cast of Fire if you do that.
    Yeah one of my original hotbars had Convert on it. I need to dump something and put it back because that's how I imagined it was perfect for.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Learning a lot, thanks guys.

The way I was using Transpose definitely didn't feel right, there was way too much time doing nothing waiting for MP to regen, I was wasting a lot of time, I tested a bit doing some spiritbond and the new rotation feels much more fluid, I'm not totally sold on casting Thunder though, it barely procs, most of the time the DoT wears off before proccing the free Thunder III.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Or you could simply use Swiftcast before your Thunder III instead of casting Thunder all the time, it's not up for every rotation but for every other it should be. Unless you're using Flare to kill adds, in that case Swiftcast is better used with that.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Or you could simply use Swiftcast before your Thunder III instead of casting Thunder all the time, it's not up for every rotation but for every other it should be. Unless you're using Flare to kill adds, in that case Swiftcast is better used with that.
    Wouldn't it be better to use Swiftcast for the initial Fire III or the Blizzard III?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by luxv View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to use Swiftcast for the initial Fire III or the Blizzard III?
    No. Casting the first Fire III faster isn't gonna increase your DPS with a DoT and Blizzard III is already a very fast cast under Astral Fire III. You want Thunders up as much as possible and Thunder III is clearly the winner when it comes to damage, Swiftcast is the only way to negate the only con of the spell so why not use it?
    If you really want you can use it for the first Fire III but after that it's better used on Thunder or Flare.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast