1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 37 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 22 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 18 hours, 37 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 15 hours, 22 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I managed to kill garuda awhile back, but now gotta spam her again for relic.

What kind of tip can I give to the tanks when dealing with adds? Seems like ever DF fight I get we wipe because people (usually healers) get raped in the face by the green one. DF tanks always seem to go with the strat of main tank takes garuda, off tank takes red, and then idkwtf about green.

I don't know enough about tank abilities to say, "hey can you do X on green at the start?" or something.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

If healers are getting raped it's because the add is facing them most likely. As long as they aren't getting hit with Garuda's DTM+ Wicked Wheel they should be OK

Under no circumstances should a garuda or clone be pointing at your squishy members. I don't know what tanks do, but typically our DPS rips hate off the green add quickly. Either you point it away or your backline moves to accommodate, one of them has to happen.

Usually have the main tank just tank whichever one pops on him and the offtank tank the one which pops far away. Or are you on about the sisters during the area of calm shit in the center? Again, the green add should really melt fast enough as to not cause any serious issues if everything is pointed away and garuda is far enough away

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

there's a few things to keep track of here. it's important to maintain discipline by the non-tanks on where they're standing. if they're in the middleish area close to the tornado side they'll get hit by garuda's slipstream, which already puts you in the hole.

also, there are different approaches on how you deal with who tanks what. what i like to do is have main on garuda only, off on red, and the dd's just burning/tanking green themselves. they don't need a ton of HP to do this, just some cures and for whomever is pulling to make sure it's faced in a spot where it won't tag anyone else if it slipstreams. bards make this a lot easier because they can tag the green asap, grab lots of hate and can set it exactly where it needs to be.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sigmakan Kaph
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Pretty simple to pick up clones, build Heavy Swing>Skull Sunder off of Garuda, she ports away, run to a clone, butchers block. Have a DD do lots of dmg to other clone, provoke, butchers block combo. Now you have both clones.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

As offtank, what I do for adds is keep track of time so that I use Skull Sunder (or Savage Blade if PLD) as Garuda disappears so that Butcher's Block (or Halone) is available to use on the close add as soon as it spawns. Flash while waiting for the second add to get in range to just build a little more hate, then I provoke the second one as soon as it's range (since usually healers like to spam medica for some dumb reason at this point, and since adds start with everyone on the hate list, it can build absurd amounts of hate), and toss an overpower (shield lob) at it. Then, I get in position to face them away from party, and spam Overpower/Flash until the green one loses hate on me (usually around 25%, can be more or less depending on how your dps are) and switch to single target hate combo on the red one until it dies.

Second set I just tomahawk one, run over, tomahawk the other, provoke the green one, overpower spam.

It's pretty formulaic, but the amount of pug or DF fucktards that can't deal with it is pretty astonishing.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by kisada View Post
    what i like to do is have main on garuda only, off on red, and the dd's just burning/tanking green themselves. they don't need a ton of HP to do this, just some cures and for whomever is pulling to make sure it's faced in a spot where it won't tag anyone else if it slipstreams. bards make this a lot easier because they can tag the green asap, grab lots of hate and can set it exactly where it needs to be.
    This is what my DF groups have been doing, but even if a DD or I (as brd) get hate it seems like we go down super fast. And I definitely don't think I am undergeared.

Been running garuda for about 2 weeks now in DF & FC groups and i think my FC has the easier strategy, 1 tank 2 heal 5 dps and just having one of the melee pick up the red add and using LB on it to burn it down every time while the rest work on the green the worst your gonna get from tanking the adds is a kick and some auto attacks cause if slipstream goes off your doing it a little too slowly. Garuda is usually downed after the second adds phase and when we first started this method it was pretty basic gear on all.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Re: Pets

A good idea is to tell everyone to use the triangle formation so mages can stand at the center. If you do that, make sure you give them directions using Right/Left of X (ex: Support Tank makes sure the main tank is to their right and the DPS to their left while they face the center of the safe zone).

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Spent a large sum of time farming garuda tonight for shits and giggles. We got her down to 5 min 5 sec run as our best, but never above 6 mins. What have people been getting in their farming? We were minus a few relics, one on brd and other on whm who was nuking the whole time.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Just got done with Garuda HM with three BLMs. With a lot of defense buffs and a Scholar, everyone can barely survive Aerial Blast with three rocks.

And thanks Kisada, your advice as a MT helped. Now to work on getting the red add to stick to me when I'm OT.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Having done this fight numerous times with random people in shouts and duty finder, I feel 1 tank is the ideal setup. When we have 2 tanks(me being one of them), off tank grabs red, I try to grab green and hold it, but with every dd raping face with her I lose it and she's dead too quickly anyway.

2 tanks works really good til she spawns sisters the 3rd time. This is where I feel a lot of parties start to falter. After LB every party never seems to have enough damage to finish her before her 4th spawn in the center tornado again, and everyone just falls apart at this point.

With one tank, it's easier to hold hate on a spawn that no one attacks, and you have more damage to burn through it quicker. As long as the healers aren't retarded and can heal the main tank good during spawns, and people can position themselves, the fight is easy.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

As BLM, if swift+convert+flare isn't ready, does freeze bind the plumes in place? and then nuke with blizz2/fire2? or does freeze not bind them? Granted I guess it's only a temp bind..

On MSQ I ran up to Garuda and precast blizz2 and could generally down them before they spread out.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Waka Bo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

downed in 5:04, ignored all feathers when farming her and just proceed to rape.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/9a3d1638c...9tso1_1280.png

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'm curious to see the gear involved. :3

They're coming to take me away. Ha Ha!
    BG Level

I just tried Garuda as a healer, and every time the sisters would spawn, they made a fucking b-line straight for me and proceeded to rape me without either of the tanks seemingly even TRYING to grab them. Even on the attempts where I saved Shroud of Saints (WHM move that instantly drops half of your Enmity), I still had hate back almost immediately after. People were taking damage so fast that there was no way I could ease up on the healing.

I can't decide what the actual problem was. Maybe they were mis-positioning the sisters and the raid was taking too much damage which required me to heal full-blast (Medica was required). Perhaps the tanks weren't reacting fast enough to the sisters spawning, or were underestimating how much spike enmity they had to generate to keep them under control at the start. Or perhaps, somehow, I was doing something wrong, and I could have juggled some CDs better, or somehow squeezed by with fewer heals, AOE or otherwise. To anyone with a ton of Garuda fights under their belt, is there something specific that a healer is supposed to do or not do during this specific phase of the fight, or is it just generic HP-whack-a-mole like usual?

It didn't feel like I COULD have done anything differently, but perhaps I just don't know the fight well enough? The worst part of the encounter was that the other members of the run were together, so naturally, everything that went wrong was my fault, and any mistakes I made (I got hit by Shriek a couple times, which never killed me or put anyone at risk) were amplified 10X while people used them as an excuse to call me bad and blame me for everything...

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Outside of the generic, "Don't spam medica II", can't really think of anything since I'm not a healer myself. But the Garuda fight is mostly about your tanks.

The lolDF method seems to be DPS zergs the green add, off-tank holds the red add, Main tank holds Garuda. If the green add is destroying you, your DPS isn't zerging them down enough. If the Red Add is destroying you, the Off-tank isn't generating the nessecary spike damage. What I found out was you're already on the sister's enmity list when they spawn. So anything you cast, even before they start attacking, generates threat. Therefore your off-tank needs to provoke to match the threat you're generating.

Though this is just if the Red Add spawns away from the group. If it's spawning right in front of your group, your off-tank just sucks.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

edit: nvm

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

No, if she does her aoe repeatedly you have no choice but to spam heals. It's RNG. Tank needs to be more on the ball with grabbing hate off the add. Her hitting you initially is fine, but not more than q few seconds.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

I've seen the term RNG thrown around a lot lately and I have no clue what it means (I kept reading it as Ranger but now I'm realizing it means something totally different).

Also to add to the conversation - the Wicked Wheel seems to destroy groups pretty fast especially with all three sisters up. And more times than not ranged DPS or heals are standing between two or three of the AoEs either due to bad positioning or just bad players.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Random Number Generator. aka "when random shit happens"