Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I am unsure how you can cap Skirmish gear in two days, given the randomness of getting +2 stones and the randomness of augments. I mean, it's artificial longevity, but it's still longevity.

There's also still a couple useful pieces from Odin 2 and Salvage 2, you can farm Abyssea for any new AF3+2 you need for further jobs or new Empyrean weapons, you can farm ADL or PW for Relic and Mythic 99s for the upcoming update, farm VW for Murasamemaru, certain still useful armor pieces, or for plates/rifts for Empyrean weapons. Legion still has a couple good pieces and is good for making gil, as is WoE to a lesser extent. If you wanted, you could even farm kindred seals to eventually get KB pops for a Defending Ring, in case you didn't get it in these login campaigns.

I don't think the problem is as bad as you're saying it is, personally.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Fwahm View Post
    I am unsure how you can cap Skirmish gear in two days, given the randomness of getting +2 stones and the randomness of augments. I mean, it's artificial longevity, but it's still longevity.

There's also still a couple useful pieces from Odin 2 and Salvage 2, you can farm Abyssea for any new AF3+2 you need for further jobs or new Empyrean weapons, you can farm ADL or PW for Relic and Mythic 99s for the upcoming update, farm VW for Murasamemaru, certain still useful armor pieces, or for plates/rifts for Empyrean weapons. Legion still has a couple good pieces and is good for making gil, as is WoE to a lesser extent. If you wanted, you could even farm kindred seals to eventually get KB pops for a Defending Ring, in case you didn't get it in these login campaigns.

I don't think the problem is as bad as you're saying it is, personally.
    throw gil at +2 stones for skirmish armor. There is literally nothing left to spend gil on ecxept on +2 stones.

for endgame players that have capped on legion, delve skirmish etc, the situation is actually pritty bad, I only log in to spend my imps and then I switch back to FFXIV. Even if they would make old content usefull i probably wouldnt touch it (ecxept those hard mode fights at the beginning). I am only waiting on new stuff to have fun. The breaking low point was skirmish II followed by the release of FFXIV. I hated dynamis back then (snoozefest), but good lord skirmish II is a gigantic snoozefest of all sorts, i have never hated an event this much, its just a giant pile of shit when you went through delve stuff pre weapon buffs etc.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

The problem for me personally is that none of what you listed is fun. :/

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

They sound fun to me!

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    Somehow I got the feeling that you assume people haven't been bitching at SE here since forever?

wtfamireading.jpg
    Yeah but now it seems like some sort of anti-FFXI atmosphere going on. Like they have some sort of little FFXIV clique that hates anything FFXI related as it if was a poison lol. I never said content wasn't stale atm (not for me but for many, I do realize.) I just simply said its annoying reading all this shit on a daily basis.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    Yeah but now it seems like some sort of anti-FFXI atmosphere going on. Like they have some sort of little FFXIV clique that hates anything FFXI related as it if was a poison lol. I never said content wasn't stale atm (not for me but for many, I do realize.) I just simply said its annoying reading all this shit on a daily basis.
    I agree with you on this part, but just ignore it, I just hope the dev team gets back on track and starts to release relevant good content again in the next 6 months otherwise we are really done (sadly). the hardmode battles could be very fun if they change things around. I really hope they dont just implement the same battle just with an enemy that has higher lvl.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I think part of the problem sure there might be 1-2 peices here and there on old events. But who is going to get a group together to spam old stuff when they are going to toss 95% of what drops?

The problem is the ilvl gear progression system by it's very nature continually outdates itself. Which focusses things on the current stuff and while they could've probably gotten away with it a few years ago they don't really have anywhere near large enough team to put out content as fast as hardcore players can do it when they make it so that's the only thing in the game worth doing. This is further compounded by the fact that they continually keep failing to anticipate problems arising from lving up the content but only giving certain stats to players thereby missing alot of the things that would naturally be gained with lvls. Making them have to go back and spend already limited time and resources redoing things they already did. Basically in the end they are trying to do waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than they currently have the capability of doing. Which is why we keep seeing 1 update turn into 2 into 3 etc

Edit: Now this hard mode could fix that. Doesn't take as much work to just revamp old content and there is alot that can be done. They just have to remember to make the rewards worth getting compared to other stuff as well as to some extent decent in terms of reward/effort

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Outside of getting my shark KI win for what's going to be an offhand in November, dynamis farming (only to have an extra thing to do come november)and some monstrosity(only to be ready for later) i'm not seeing much reason to bother with xi atm. This news might actually be a good enough reason to quit until December or longer even.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Abyssea happened, Voidwatch happened, Legion happened, and SE spent a year rejuvenating old events with varying degrees of success. Overall, there were a lot of different things to do as an endgame player whether you were solo, lowman, or in an alliance. In the brief period following Salvage v2, endgame had a ton of different options and almost everything was productive and profitable due to RMEs.
    I've been saying this since ilvl stuff came out. FFXI stayed afloat in large part due to the breadth of (relevant) legacy content it had. SE simply doesn't put out content fast enough to support this straight vertical progression model.

Quote Originally Posted by Draylo View Post
    What does it have to do with FFXIV? I haven't touched that since the original beta years ago, and I still let my FFXI sub run out for lack of anything (fun) to do. And with how slow monstrosity and SoA content is being rolled out, there doesn't look to be a reason to resubscribe in the foreseeable future.

Bitching just to bitch about bitching. You're just as annoying as the people you hate for playing FFXIV.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaces View Post
    Bitching just to bitch about bitching. You're just as annoying as the people you hate for playing FFXIV.
    I don't hate anyone for playing FFXIV. Not sure where you get that from considering I play it myself. I said I was annoyed at the shit throwing simply because people still enjoy FFXI.

What does it have to do with FFXIV? I haven't touched that since the original beta years ago, and I still let my FFXI sub run out for lack of anything (fun) to do. And with how slow monstrosity and SoA content is being rolled out, there doesn't look to be a reason to resubscribe in the foreseeable future.
    I didn't say it had to do with FFXIV itself, it's pretty obvious to anyone the specific "FFXIV Crew" (so the people not the game) that start crap.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'm surprised no one figured out the fact that FFXIV pretty much slayed the shit out of FFXI. No disrespect, but that's how it is. It's a shame to the FFXI devs too-- there's nothing they can do to make FFXI shine like it once did, NOTHING. It's compounded by the fact that people have been long since complained about FFXI being "bad" regardless of the year it was being played, since CoP. FFXIV is the new shiny MMO to play now; it's brought back an untold number of EX FFXI players, plays like WoW/GW2/Rift/Everquest, and is just a fresh and fun MMO to play in general for the moment, despite the people complaining about small time shit.

FFXI has had it's time. It will still live on, but it will never become anything big anymore due to FFXIV's presence now.

My feelings are more or less exactly like Byrth's (Except for the Salvage bans part lol). I just don't like the vertical progression system of the current game pretty much. It was nice that the horizontal progression of the game had led to a point that even if the dev team took their time to push out stuff (And I get it, they have a small team and very limited resources), there was all this old content you could fill your time with. I don't have a problem with vertical progression system themselves, it's just that XI does not adapt the system well at all when there's so few of said resources, and besides, that's part of why I've played XI for so long. It's pretty much what I expressed when they started this ilevel stuff.

I know a lot of you are excited about it, but this latest hard mode battlefields thing is a good example of them combining the worst parts of horizontal and vertical progression now. I foresee a few months, we'll get Delve 2.0 to outdate all the hard mode battlefields, and then after that they'll give us Assault level 129 or whatever and then Delve 3.0, and then SCNM level 139 etc etc. So because they lack the manpower to adapt a vertical progression system in XI, they're going to instead just readjust old content over and over so we have all the worst parts of vertical progression (Gear outdated quickly) and the worst parts of horizontal progression (relative shortage of any actual new content).

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    I'm surprised no one figured out the fact that FFXIV pretty much slayed the shit out of FFXI.
    I thought we all knew that back during WoTG when they went from bimonthly updates to trimonthly.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Kincard View Post
    My feelings are more or less exactly like Byrth's (Except for the Salvage bans part lol). I just don't like the vertical progression system of the current game pretty much. It was nice that the horizontal progression of the game had led to a point that even if the dev team took their time to push out stuff (And I get it, they have a small team and very limited resources), there was all this old content you could fill your time with. I don't have a problem with vertical progression system themselves, it's just that XI does not adapt the system well at all when there's so few of said resources, and besides, that's part of why I've played XI for so long. It's pretty much what I expressed when they started this ilevel stuff.

I know a lot of you are excited about it, but this latest hard mode battlefields thing is a good example of them combining the worst parts of horizontal and vertical progression now. I foresee a few months, we'll get Delve 2.0 to outdate all the hard mode battlefields, and then after that they'll give us Assault level 129 or whatever and then Delve 3.0, and then SCNM level 139 etc etc. So because they lack the manpower to adapt a vertical progression system in XI, they're going to instead just readjust old content over and over so we have all the worst parts of vertical progression (Gear outdated quickly) and the worst parts of horizontal progression (relative shortage of any actual new content).
    This exactly the fault of the Dev Team of 2004~2008. They languished on horizontal progression for too long, especially when WoW was booming hard. Big mistake for them then, because a change to vertical progression was inevitable, despite the fact that the core players became accustomed to horizontal progression over the years. I saw a ton of players simply drop off the map when the iLvL stuff started.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    I thought we all knew that back during WoTG when they went from bimonthly updates to trimonthly.
    FFXI ARR *, sheesh. Aside from that, it seemed over all post WoTG and into Abyssea, most players were just going through the motions of playing, or playing to hang out with long time friends. Abyssea made some people play again because it put everyone on the "same level again" (Emp weapons). They stretched the hell out of the period of Abyssea and then followed it up with Adoulin & iLvL gear, again taking away from what ppl built in Abyssea. Then the advent of FFXIV ARR for the coup de grace.

I personally believe FFXI had a damn good run-- I personally got 7 years of pure enjoyment and addiction out of it. I also believe Treasures of Aht Urghan was the best expansion ever and the pinnacle of FFXI gaming.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

It kind of wasn't. The vast majority of FFXI events pre-Adoulin were sustained by the superiority of RMEs. As long as they had maintained that, the content would not have been lost. There were many ways to address the issues with FFXI's endgame and incentivize new events that did not involve outdating RMEs, but they were all more complicated solutions (from a balance standpoint) than just purely switching to the WoW model.

They took the easy way out and really damaged the game badly.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    This exactly the fault of the Dev Team of 2004~2008. They languished on horizontal progression for too long, especially when WoW was booming hard. Big mistake for them then, because a change to vertical progression was inevitable, despite the fact that the core players became accustomed to horizontal progression over the years. I saw a ton of players simply drop off the map when the iLvL stuff started.
    SE has never put out content fast enough to sustain this level of vertical progression.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    SE has never put out content fast enough to sustain this level of vertical progression.
    For years the game didn't even progress vertically at all, was my point. The early years was when it was crucial to do so. Just side-grades for years and years. Why wouldn't people become attached to their relics and gear? We all know about Armadaberk. Why did it have to be so damn good and have utility for 7+ years since it was released?

a change to vertical progression was inevitable
    What makes you say that?

I mean if you want to get really technical you can't say XI was always completely horizontal, stuff usually got outdated bit by bit.

Flowery Twats
    BG Level

I preferred the horizontal progression. It was more about long term goals that meant more to me when I finally reached them.

I cancelled my subscriptions after the last bonanza. I'm waiting until the RME update then I'll decide to continue or not. I haven't checked out FFXIV yet, dunno if I will or not either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast