+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    Maybe he's just fronting but he's talking like he's fully on board for it.
    Well, I think he at least wants the Senate to actually vote against his funding bill first - so they can claim the hollow talking point of "we passed a bill to fund the whole government other than obamacare, the Senate is the one that voted to shut down the government"

and once that happens he's in underpants-gnome territory

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

There's also the fact that he can maintain some narrative/capital by showing a single front (nevermind that some of the GOP is sniping at each other already).
    He kind of has to do that because of his position, but believe me there is likely some mad backroom shit going on.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    The feeling on the hill is leaning shutdown,in fact only one of my colleagues is confident the gov won't shutdown. We'll know next week I guess.
    Is this any different than the last 3 times the house has threatened to shut down the government/default on bond payments?

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    I want to believe, but I don't think most of the people in Congress feel any strong obligation to do what is right for the country. As long as whatever happens can be blamed on someone else in such a way that the constituents believe them, I don't think it will even hurt their re-election chances. Crossing the aisle and supporting anything Obama wants is going to bring out the hyperconservatives for the primary and lose moderate Republicans their seats in the next election. You'd hope that some of them might have the balls to give up their jobs for the sake of the country, but I don't think they actually will.
    Yup.

I would be utterly astounded if any of our elected officials were genuinely acting with the best interests of the country in mind. Every year the games seem to get more and more outrageous.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Is this any different than the last 3 times the house has threatened to shut down the government/default on bond payments?
    yes. each of those other times we knew the can would be kicked down the road

I am genuinely surprised Chris Christie isn't being loud mouthed about this. He will be the first republican politically hit by any government shutdown. This seems like an easy political maneuver to me.

BG Level

So it sounds like the Senate is going to amend the House's bill to remove the ACA-defunding part, pass it, and send it back to the House, but it'll probably take a week to do so because of procedural bullshit, some of which will be Ted Cruz attempting to filibuster the amendment and failing. Then Boehner will have a bill on his hands and have to decide what to do, right up against the clock of government shutdown.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Mike Lee has said he will bust as well.

There is also a chance that once the house gets the CR back on Sat/Sun they will amend it again and bounce it back to the Senate and its going to be ping pong until shutdown.

BG Level

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Probably the only instance where our local government does anything better than Congress.

BG Level

how are the island peoples obamacaring?

BG Level

nobody cares until we're sure it's actually gonna get shut down, if and when it gets shut down, we freak out

BG Level

Haven't seen anything about this in the local news, so it probs wont be in the radar until it gets closer to deadline

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    nobody cares until we're sure it's actually gonna get shut down, if and when it gets shut down, we freak out
    no i mean obamacare, in puerto rico, how does it work?

BG Level

fucking google

if you type

obamacare puerto rico

then it starts searching for shit like PR

and gives you a bunch of shit for obamacare public relations

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    no i mean obamacare, in puerto rico, how does it work?
    I dunno

I googled and saw the mandate doesn't apply here.

edit: googled affordable care act puerto rico and got some hits

BG Level

So Ted Cruz is doing his "I'm running for president" marathon anti-obamacare speech for the rest of the day today, trying to convince Republicans to vote against cloture (the 60 votes needed to begin discussion of the continuing resolution to fund the government but not Obamacare).

Beyond dubious publicity, I don't really get what he's trying to accomplish - Obamacare is implemented currently, stopping discussion on a bill that could change that...wont change it.

BG Level

I hope Cruz is clever enough to use Obamacare as a red herring in a tea party effort to reduce government spending by shutting down the government.

That would make more sense than what he's currently doing.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    It's too early to say how it's gonna be.

Last time this happened, it was pmuch the whole GOP on board with pushing the debt fight and threatening shutdown.
    This time, the pressure is coming from a few dozen Tea Party reps throwing weight around, and that the fact that the GOP generally votes lockstep.

Last time it was which party will blink first.
    This time, it's more, what's going to happen to the GOP internally.
    Don't confuse the budget with the debt limit. Two hugely different things. The debt limit increase has profoundly more negative impacts on the country than the budget if it is not passed.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

This nigga read green eggs and ham on the senate floor. Game over