I hate filibusters
    It's not even a real filibuster.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    It's not even a real filibuster.
    What is a real filibuster then? I hope you don't mean that crap they pull where they say they going to filibuster, then go out to lunch. (or maybe thats just the rumors I heard). What I find amazing is how many in congress are businessmen and talk about how if the country was run like a business, it would all work out. But if their employees pulled the crap they do, they'd lose their jobs immediately.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xantavia View Post
    What is a real filibuster then? I hope you don't mean that crap they pull where they say they going to filibuster, then go out to lunch. (or maybe thats just the rumors I heard). What I find amazing is how many in congress are businessmen and talk about how if the country was run like a business, it would all work out. But if their employees pulled the crap they do, they'd lose their jobs immediately.
    Democrats said they were going to hold a test vote on cloture today, Wednesday. Because of some sort of procedural stuff, Cruz's "long speech" couldn't prevent that test vote from happening even if he was still speaking as of 1 PM ET Wednesday, when the vote is to occur. I'm not exactly sure why:

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    Reid had filed a motion to break the filibuster before Cruz rose to speak. The clock was already ticking on the Senate's first key procedural vote on the matter, which will take place shortly after 1 p.m. ET on Wednesday regardless of what Cruz does.
    This is grand posturing by Cruz at the moment. I do believe he'd be able to attempt an actual fillibuster (one designed to prevent a vote on the Senate's version of the bill) in a couple days if he wishes, but I think he doesn't want to be as close to the "shut down the government" date as that would be, reading green eggs and ham like a retard. This is his "I fought against Obamacare with every fiber of my being" bullshit moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    He did.
    Wait...how is he allowed to do that. Didn't the Texas Senate freak the fuck out when that woman was filibustering when she went off topic for like 4 seconds? I know 2 different places but is D.C really that fucking out of it they don't operate within this dimension now?

Also isn't this like the 41st attempt to stop Obamacare?...meanwhile fuck all else has been done by this congress/senate other then a lot of bitching and moaning.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Also isn't this like the 41st attempt to stop Obamacare?...meanwhile fuck all else has been done by this congress/senate other then a lot of bitching and moaning.
    If I'm not mistaken they've had a vote to repeal or defund the ACA about every 6 weeks since it passed, and all have failed. The more I read on this the more I kind of feel bad for Boehner, it looks a lot like the Tea Party nutjobs are holding his job hostage; that he feels this is an incredibly stupid idea but if he didn't go along with it they'd try to rally up votes to replace him as house speaker.

BG Level

This is the easy "playing politics" part for Boehner - force a few vulnerable Senate Dems to cast a pro Obamacare vote while facing reelection in 2014 - it's smart. The real hard stuff starts once an amended bill that funds everything returns from the Senate and the house has to decide what to do with the government shutdown hours away.

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Wait...how is he allowed to do that. Didn't the Texas Senate freak the fuck out when that woman was filibustering when she went off topic for like 4 seconds? I know 2 different places but is D.C really that fucking out of it they don't operate within this dimension now?

State legislatures can make their own rules regarding procedure and the like (they can do whatever the hell they want, really).

Dual federalism, hard at not-work.

BG Level

lol at Cruz's "filibuster"

they just held the vote, needing 60 votes, to take up the bill

it passed 100-0, including Cruz

I'm sure he'll love all those fundraising dollars though.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

He did his song and dance for the constituents back home. Mission accomplished, get this guy some green eggs and ham.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

It was not a filibuster. It was wasting time. There is a limit of 30 hours for debate on a bill from the House in the Senate. Most of the time it's either waved or just elapses without much happening with it. Cruz just took all of the 30 hours. It meant nothing.

It's like you mother fucker don't know anything about Robert's Rules of Order... bitches.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

So this means?

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

a) The bill will get stripped of Obamacare and sent back to the House. There's talk the House might re-attach a one year delay of Obamacare which will punt it back to the Senate and most likely force at least a temporary shutdown due to how little time is left before the deadline.

b) It gives an excuse for tea partiers to give more resistance on the debt ceiling, claiming that they "gave" Democrats the continuing resolution and now need some concessions to raise the debt limit.

So basically, get ready for the next round of gamesmanship in a few weeks.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

It means we are going to have a short term government shutdown, which is really, really, really unpopular even with those that hate Obamacare because they are afraid they wont get their welfare and social security checks (don't think too long on that one).

So the Tea Party will get their dog and pony show until enough regular Republicans that come from districts where the Tea Party has no chance get pissed and either break the Hastert rule (which is a fucking stupid rule to begin with and shows just how badly ideology drives this party of "free thinkers") or the Tea Party folds to the pressure.

The funny thing is that the most accurate criticism of the Tea Party has been that they are anarchists. They really don't care what happens, they just want to throw bombs, and kick and scream no matter what. Jim Jone's drinking his own Kool-Aid.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

It looks like the House may give up the fight on the budget, which would only mostly screw over the economy by shutting down the government and instead, continue this fight on the debt ceiling increase, which if it isn't passed in time would be like dropping an orbital nuke on the economy.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

I hadn't previously grasped the irony of Cruz spending his time reading a story with a moral of not rejecting something before you've given it a try as he talks about the evils of Obamacare.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    I hadn't previously grasped the irony of Cruz spending his time reading a story with a moral of not rejecting something before you've given it a try as he talks about the evils of Obamacare.
    Fanatics are often tone deaf to their own actions.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

That said, "try it and see if it works" is a pretty bad approach to public policy.