+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotham (...coming to FOX)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Cichy View Post
    It's not getting any better. Actually, it's the worst type of story in my opinion. They rely too much on Batman mythology without Batman. Young Bruce is annoying and they don't let Jim stand on his own and actually accomplish something. He's just a guy that gets constantly pushed around and stumbles across Batman easter eggs.
    I dunno... I think that's part of what Gotham City is. Gordon has always kind of been that guy who exists to be good, but to always have small victories at best. He is greatness because he doesn't get beat by the city, but he never really wins against it, either. This last episode was solid for showing what his partner is: a guy who WAS the idealist, but who DID get beat down by the city. He still white knights, but he's much choosier about his battles, and he's grown incredibly cynical on his ability to affect change.

I'm not an avid Batman reader. I've read a few of the big stories, but not enough to really comment on Batman. I'm sure there are dozens of references I'm not getting, but meh. I *LOVE* this Penguin. I love that Gordon is less protagonist of the story than a lens through which we get to see the story-- it's not about him, it's about Gotham. He's just our point of view.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

It's not a good show. It's a train wreck at best, but I can't help watching it to see how it'll fall on its face.

The writing is god damn awful. I can't believe this is coming from the same guy who did The Mentalist. I haven't watched that show in a while though so I don't know if it's also failing plotwise.

Everything is so over dramatic. I mean, who can take that goat plot seriously? And a man who kills people with balloons? And that scientist killing people with a neon green drug? And cat girl creeping though the Wayne manor, all jumping up and down on stuff. We get it, she's supposed to be cat like. Ugh.

After the last episode though, I am wondering how Jim's going to survive since he didn't kill Oswald. And what's Oswald's plan anyway? Who announces themselves in the middle of a police precinct when you're supposed to be dead?

But I'll be here until they cancel it.

^you summed it up nicely but I guess it has some viewers since they already ordered more episodes. Sleepy Hollow is a pretty shittastic show and they got 2 season now so maybe we just watch those shows cuz there's nothing better on Monday

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Penguin is pretty much the only thing keeping this a float. He's just fucking awesome.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Him and his creepy mum.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Really hoping they don't fuck up Victor Zsasz. I'm about to cut this show out. Almost worse than The Flash.

that Kringle chick based on anyone from the comics?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

not that I know of, unless it is something really obscure. Prolly some random character they made to further Riddler being weird.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

So can I binge watch this yet or is it super mediocre and I shouldn't feel bad for skipping it?

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I like it sort of, it feels like if they stick with it it could improve a lot like Arrow did, but at the moment Robin Taylor is hard carrying the show.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I thought this was pretty cool. Real cop wants to be an actor. Gets on Gotham.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    So can I binge watch this yet or is it super mediocre and I shouldn't feel bad for skipping it?
    It's mediocre. I'm watching only because I desperately hope things get gud.

Spoiler: show
    The problem with Gotham is that it's played all of its cards way too early and doesn't understand the word subtlety. At all. The show is written like it's months from becoming Batmans 'Gotham' rather than a prequel set deep in the past. Characters like Penguin and Riddler are basically in their complete forms a half-dozen episodes into the season while Bruce Wayne is still a kid. Why? Why not expand deeply on characters like Nygma well before the changeover to crime?

You're bludgeoned with so many Batman references and characters so early you wonder how this show is going to spread out beyond two seasons when everyone is basically ready to become a Batman villain already. Catwoman was breaking into Wayne Manor since childhood? Cmon.

Why not slow down and slowly pace out these characters as they rise to notoriety?
    Why expel Cobblepot from Gotham only to bring him back a couple episodes later?
    Why is Fish Mooney literally chewing the camera every time Jada Pinkett is on screen?
    Why does the show jerk wildly between serious business and campy comics?

Bullock walked right into the 'bad experience turns a good guy jaded' trope. Cmon, that was telegraphed from episode 1. Is this really top tier writing?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    It's mediocre. I'm watching only because I desperately hope things get gud.

Spoiler: show
    The problem with Gotham is that it's played all of its cards way too early and doesn't understand the word subtlety. At all. The show is written like it's months from becoming Batmans 'Gotham' rather than a prequel set deep in the past. Characters like Penguin and Riddler are basically in their complete forms a half-dozen episodes into the season while Bruce Wayne is still a kid. Why? Why not expand deeply on characters like Nygma well before the changeover to crime?

You're bludgeoned with so many Batman references and characters so early you wonder how this show is going to spread out beyond two seasons when everyone is basically ready to become a Batman villain already. Catwoman was breaking into Wayne Manor since childhood? Cmon.

Why not slow down and slowly pace out these characters as they rise to notoriety?
    Why expel Cobblepot from Gotham only to bring him back a couple episodes later?
    Why is Fish Mooney literally chewing the camera every time Jada Pinkett is on screen?
    Why does the show jerk wildly between serious business and campy comics?

Bullock walked right into the 'bad experience turns a good guy jaded' trope. Cmon, that was telegraphed from episode 1. Is this really top tier writing?
    Totally agree with everything here.

I'm hoping that once Gotham has built its base, it can start developing better storylines. Obviously the main one is going to be about how Wayne Enterprises has some dirty higher-ups which Bruce is totally going to uncover and it's going to be connected to Jim via the mafia families.

E. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffes View Post
    I like it sort of, it feels like if they stick with it it could improve a lot like Arrow did, but at the moment Robin Taylor is hard carrying the show.
    I'm pretty much just watching it as the penguins background story. I never really knew much about him, and questioned why he always had henchmen to follow him. This depiction makes more sense.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I for one rather not wait seasons for plots to work out. The sooner, faster, the better.
    Just like Fargo, I'd rather watch a concise one season show, than one that is drug out forever.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

That was NOT Victo Zsasz. That was some random ass mob hitman using the name.

I give up on this show.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nicholai Tankyou
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Really? I thought this was the best episode yet. I love Gordon gone full not giving a shit, and Penguin was awesome.

I second that...episode was great! Generally speaking I really like the direction the show is going in...maybe I just have super low expectations, but I don't find anything majorly wrong with it. Some performances are a bit cringe-worthy but all in all it's great entertainment!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I didn't realise it aired on Mondays as I usually save up a few episodes to watch in bulk. Off to watch the latest ep.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Ha! That episode was rather fun. Lots of great one-liners and double crosses. Oswald is still the best and I agree that Jim was awesome when he didn't give a shit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast