1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 14 hours, 57 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 9 hours, 2 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 7 hours, 57 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 2 hours, 2 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Rainsford View Post
    A few things about the Fairy:
    I'll edit in a more strong urge to use Place when I get a chance. It's something I have noticed but forgot to mention I guess. I have observed that move-and-return behavior in AK final boss so I know exactly what you mean.

I generally understate Selene because I used to be horrible at remembering to pop Fey Light. I've since improved my UI and hotbars though so I'll give her a run during the week. I don't deny she's good, I'm just more comfortable with Eos' fire-and-forget approach where I only have to remember she exists every minute or two (instead of every 30s) aside from Place.

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    *snip*
    I understand.

My underlying point I guess is that a lot of SCH's don't place the fairy (which is why I think I hear a lot of "oh, she's pretty useless!"). I'll try to put a video of it together tonight, but the difference can't be understated.

That said, the idea of switching her in and out of Steady makes sense if you're coming from a position of "well, her usefulness isn't that great." But once you see just how effective they can be at Embrace-bombing, I don't think you'll ever want to hit the Steady button again.

But that's the other big problem with Eos. Whispering dawn is incredibly useless in 99% of applications. It won't save a tank in BC and most AoE damage comes in spikes that you shouldn't have any trouble single-healing out of. The only time I can see it making a difference is on Tumolts but, again, the extra 300-400~ healing you'll get versus not using it while the AoEs are going off make it not-so-great. That's, of course, ignoring how she will almost instantly pull threat if Whispering Dawn is up when mechanics go off on a fight (Turn 4 Spiders chasing her around, etc).

Her heal buff is nice but, again, if you use it situationally you might be delaying your own healing to cast it, and the cooldown is so long that it's hard to use regularly, as opposed to Fey Light/Glow which will be buffing you for an entire fight. I won't totally write her off, since I can see how fast-casting her at the end of Turn 4 and popping the heal buff can make a difference between a clear and a wipe, but if you'd been using her the whole fight it may very well be on CD when you need it.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Why would setting her on Place affect her ability to heal...?

I always forget that I've placed her whenever I use that, so I end up leaving her behind.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I should probably add that I have yet to do Coil (or look at videos for beyond turn 2) so I lack perspective there.

One CM later and I think I'm already feeling the difference with Place (unless this is just weird placebo bs). I didn't bother doing it on trash before but I'm going to have to break that habit. And I can kind of see why Place is so vital now.

Main thing with fairy, regardless of Heel or Place mode, is that her "awareness" range is relatively short. I'm gonna estimate somewhere between 10-15y (where her max range for Embrace and speed auras is 20y and our general max range is 25y). Aside from that, one reason Heel sucks so much is that she will (try to) prioritize following you over healing, until you come to a stop. Place stops that issue and adds the "move and return when out of sight/range" thing discussed earlier. This "stop healing" thing also happens when you try to command something while she's in mid-cast (which will also eat the cooldown if she was using WD) and is something I need to mention next edit.

You do raise a good point about Whispering Dawn. With my current gear it's ~180 unbuffed per tick (which should be never since it shares CD with Rouse), 7 ticks so ~1260 total. Fey Illu makes that ~215/~1500, Rouse ~250/~1750, and both ~290/~2000. Not insignificant but at the same time my playstyle with her basically revolves around NOT using things so they are all up for WD. So ultimately it's probably a little wasteful. Though 20% improved Succor and Adlo still sound nice for Titan and I'd be hesitant to ditch her.

I'll have to play with Selene a little more but after thinking it over I'm realizing how little I'm actually using Eos for what makes her unique, and constant shaving of .1 second off GCDs doesn't sound as lame as it used to.

MOST RAD.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pupuru Puru
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'll echo the place statement. I always place the fairy and hardly ever have issues healing. I tend to use Eos over Selene but I'll probably start using Selene more often. I've noticed certain big damage moves that players experience do barely anything to fairies.

AK specific: how does she handle tail swipe damage? I place the fairy behind the tank in front of the final boss hugging the wall out of laser beam range. I've found the fairy barely takes any damage from catastrophe so I tend to set her and forget about her but if tail swipe is triggered more often in place of other moves I might switch to placing her behind. Demon wall I place her right under the chin thing in the middle and she hardly takes damage. Just have to wipe the debuff and heel before repel so she doesn't stay in the poison for too long and then place again on wall movement.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Why would setting her on Place affect her ability to heal...?

I always forget that I've placed her whenever I use that, so I end up leaving her behind.
    Because most people stay far from tank so fairy is too far to auto detect a heal

But that's mostly gimp sch

BG Level

All I want is auto semi auto and manual

Auto. She does w/e she wants
    Semi auto you tell her 2 moves that she can use on her own
    Manual she does nothing until you tell her to do something and she stays on manual!!!

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Gonna second the Selene is underrated thing. I now use her basically in any fight that isn't going to require Aoe healing spam (ie. I only use Eos for the demon wall in AK, Selene the rest of the time).

I will say, though, I did a CM, where the whm kept dcing, and I had a lot harder time keeping the tank up during bosses with Selene out. (But this could be because I had to do more aoe for dps on adds than normally with Eos).

If someone just wants the Eos safety, go for it, but really, at least when it comes to trash, and anything you are overgeared for, you really should use Selene to help speed up the run.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Gonna second the Selene is underrated thing. I now use her basically in any fight that isn't going to require Aoe healing spam (ie. I only use Eos for the demon wall in AK, Selene the rest of the time).

I will say, though, I did a CM, where the whm kept dcing, and I had a lot harder time keeping the tank up during bosses with Selene out. (But this could be because I had to do more aoe for dps on adds than normally with Eos).

If someone just wants the Eos safety, go for it, but really, at least when it comes to trash, and anything you are overgeared for, you really should use Selene to help speed up the run.

I personally do not like Selene the only reason I might use her is that w/e people says when I put her on obey she stay on obey and she only uses embrace

Sadly I did lots of parse and fey glow + few light doesn't do shit in the tests I saw the spell or skill speed number go up up, in 30 sec test( bug duration) they always did the same number of skill or spell

At least the healing buff on eos actuall work ( getting 100-200hp) more. Just sad that it's a 2 min cooldown.

Only reason I could hate eos is that whispering dawn gives so much hate when a new monster pop ( I see you cadaeus)

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    Sadly I did lots of parse and fey glow + few light doesn't do shit in the tests I saw the spell or skill speed number go up up, in 30 sec test( bug duration) they always did the same number of skill or spell
    I call bs on this. I definitely cast faster with selene up.

He's not saying you don't cast faster, he's saying that in the long run it doesn't make a significant difference in the overall number of casts/WSs.

It's only 1/10th of a second half the time, effectively .05 seconds overall.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    He's not saying you don't cast faster, he's saying that in the long run it doesn't make a significant difference in the overall number of casts/WSs.

It's only 1/10th of a second half the time, effectively .05 seconds overall.
    How is this tested?

............you look at your cast/recast.

It's a 30% increase in spell speed stat (not effective spell speed) so it's gonna vary but generally that's the kind of number you're going to get.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I assume you'd stopwatch (or whatever) # of casts over 30 seconds, with and without buff (to help time the "without" test just use Fey Light). Or crunch it out with the shortened numbers.

436 Spell Speed > 566 with Fey Glow

Physick Cast 1.92 > 1.83
    Standard Cast 2.41 > 2.28
    GCD Recast 2.41 > 2.28

Number of Physicks cast w/o Glow: 13 (last one starts around the time Glow ends)
    Number with Glow: 13 (last one ends around time Glow ends)

Might want to check with a MNK and see how much of an effect it'll have on top of GL3, otherwise not sure based on this. Or with someone who has more / stacks Spell Speed.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    ............you look at your cast/recast.

It's a 30% increase in spell speed stat (not effective spell speed) so it's gonna vary but generally that's the kind of number you're going to get.
    I meant to say "was" lol as in what previous ones were already done and the chart or w/e. My mistake.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    I assume you'd stopwatch (or whatever) # of casts over 30 seconds, with and without buff (to help time the "without" test just use Fey Light). Or crunch it out with the shortened numbers.

436 Spell Speed > 566 with Fey Glow

Physick Cast 1.92 > 1.83
    Standard Cast 2.41 > 2.28
    GCD Recast 2.41 > 2.28

Number of Physicks cast w/o Glow: 13 (last one starts around the time Glow ends)
    Number with Glow: 13 (last one ends around time Glow ends)

Might want to check with a MNK and see how much of an effect it'll have on top of GL3, otherwise not sure based on this. Or with someone who has more / stacks Spell Speed.
    For sure it'd be good to see the dps differences.

As far as Fey Light/Glow goes, it brings my Spell Speed from 462 to 600. So, it's like equipping another set of Spell Speed accessories. BLM's will see their rotations speed up, Monks will go through their rotations faster, your heal will land a bit sooner (letting you move/etc earlier), etc. If Eos's abilities were on such short CD's, maybe it would matter. But I'm very, very rarely in a situation where I ~need~ that heal buff to get through whatever I'm doing.

As far as /Place goes, it's not even about distances. If she's on Heel, she will have a delay in between casting Embrace. If she's on /Place, she will be casting it as quickly as if you're spamming the button yourself. Lots of times she can top the tank off by herself since she will start casting a second Embrace before the tanks HP bar has even refilled from the first Embrace.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Place is overrated for AK because you'll be near the tank in most situations. The first NM, you're near the tank by the light. The second NM, you can literally let her auto and defeat him zerg style (Ignoring adds) regardless of place. His damage is shit and you have greater risks with place than without. The last NM, you have the tank use the west side of the statue and your never need to move the entire fight unless he uses the line aoe.

Edit: Pixie AI range is greater than 15 and less than 25. Probably 20yalms?

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    For sure it'd be good to see the dps differences.
    If seravi is available I can go on dummies as mnk and him/her/it on sch and do some tests but for now it's either
    .1) se sucks at making stuff ( wouldn't be a surprise)
    2) we are missing something

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    Edit: Pixie AI range is greater than 15 and less than 25. Probably 20yalms?
    I was kind of eyeballing the range based on one CM of actually paying attention. I was near max range (25), she was maybe halfway there and still derping out. Victim may not have been low enough though or misremembered range. Can run more controlled tests if more reports don't come in first.

Selene's auras have 20y radius, Eos' have 15y. It might be possible (doubtful) that each has a slightly different awareness range for Embrace but I was using Selene in the above range so idk.