1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 19 hours, 45 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 4 hours, 14 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 12 hours, 45 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -3 hours, -46 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 70 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
    Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

ok, thanks again. I know it doesn't matter all that much, I just feel like it's good to know.

really I just want a SCH general chat to squee about how much I love this class. I thought for sure I'd be running SMN (and I might later on; SMN gets a lot of fun toys between 35-50) but I am honestly surprised at how fun SCH is to play. I don't generally dig healer classes but SCH mechanics make it a big exception.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

SCH's whole schtick is that it's just ACN that heals well / SMN without the added toys, depending on how you wanna look at it. Until you get to stuff that actually requires you to heal, you're basically running an extra DPS all the time.

Not really "challenging" but farming Ultros with LSmates the last couple days I've hit some pretty respectable numbers by virtue of DPS being out of commission for half the fight and 2 enemies to DoT up.

Running low level dungeons you basically never need to switch off Cleric Stance ;o

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I have a distinct feeling of Shadow of Impending Doom with 3.0 coming.

It looks like ACN will forever be the only class with two jobs. This seems to me like something that will be... addressed at some point. I just don't know how.

I have no interest in caster jobs, so even though I have a 50THM (from Sacrifice III days) and 50SCH, I still haven't unlocked BLM or SMN. I guess I'm just wondering if Yoshida will make SCH its own classless job (like DRK/AST/MAC) at some point.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Need some opinions, been checking Maths more latly

This is the set i have atm

LEft side all I130 Ironwork gear (exept Dreadwyrm legs)
    Right Side I90 Melding Accessories

This is the stats i Have atm

6903 HP
    4845 MP
    509 ACC
    477 Crit
    239 Det
    (lolSS)

The set i'm looking for would replace most of the left side with Demon Gear from WOD while keeping the right side intact

That would give me

587 MND
    507 ACC
    519 Crit
    289 DET

The reason why i'm asking this is according to Ariyala

Stats weight for SCH are 0.204 for Crit and 0.325 for Det

So if i calculate the det and the crit with the stats weight I would get

Current SET

6903 HP
    4845 MP
    509 ACC
    477 Crit (* 0.204)
    239 Det (* 0.325)
    (lolSS)

For a total of 777 MND 6903 HP and 4845 MP

New set

587 MND
    507 ACC
    519 Crit *0.204
    289 DET *0.325

For a total of 786 MND 4126 MP 6700 HP

Do you think it's worth to change or should i stay like that?

(PS I keep my old right side cuz of lazy purpose)

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    Running low level dungeons you basically never need to switch off Cleric Stance ;o
    Running low level dungeons you shouldn't be able to switch off cleric's stance*

I set cleric's as CC skill, turn it on, then go into the menu and replace it with aero.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'm surprised that works.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

ha. that's kinda neat. I've been afraid to run cleric stance just because I'm still fairly new to the class but I'll give it a shot - 90% of my time these days is spent in low-level duty roulettes.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

just some thoughts as I continue down the SCH path:

- so much fun. way more than white mage. I hate healing classes but the complexity (and the fairy) make this a lot more fun to play imo.
    - Selene is far easier to use, and until I encounter much more difficult content I can't see myself using Eos much. she seems to require a much more hands-on approach; I prefer setting them on Sic and Selene is simply better at that. in fact she is FAR better at low-level duty roulette because she doesn't spam her other abilities before using Embrace.
    - I will eventually need to use some macros - especially Embrace. I haven't touched macros yet (no need to at my level) but it seems necessary to fully utilize the fairy's potential (which, again, isn't necessary yet for me).
    - Eos looks cooler than Selene though.

my thoughts on SMN:

- wait, why did I want to play this class over SCH again? I can't even remember. maybe once I get Garuda idk.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

so... 50 get. any advice on whether to pursue SMN or SCH at this point? I've been running SCH almost the whole time because a) duty finder and b) soloing. not sure how that may or may not change in the endgame, though. gear is quickly becoming job-specific though so I need to make a choice.

anyone who has run one or both in endgame and has thoughts, please feel free to share! SCH seems like more work... stuff like knowing when to Sacred Soil and when to Succor before the attack hits. that could make it more fun, but also more of a pain. or maybe I'm way off?

either way I'm sure it will be fun but picking one job is enough of a commitment that I thought I'd ask for your experiences first.

If you've been running sch almost the whole time I don't see why you should change now. You're still going to duty finder a lot at 50.

The Prettiest Elf Ever
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Larkin Wren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Honestly, I find scholar easier, if only because it's my main class. Summoner seems more complex to me, mainly because I don't play it often enough to have the opener 100% memorized. But really, if you like scholar, stick with it, and once it's geared, go ahead and gear your summoner, just in case. It's nice to have something different in case you want to jump into a group and they already have all the healers they need.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

hmm, you have a point. I do enjoy SCH. it's a healing class of a different breed - it's less reactionary and more preventative. I like that about it because it adds a whole other layer of strategy aside from "people got hurt, now heal them." of course that's oversimplifying WHM but you get where I'm going with this.

sigh. I suppose this means I have to make macros now. relying on auto-heals is getting gimper and gimper.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Taruto Shippuden
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Please for the love of god, put all of your actions (including embrace) on your hotbar, if you ever want to be remotely serious about this class.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I haven't updated first posts in a long time but I still stand by the Embracespam macro especially for a learning SCH.

The beauty of SCH is that it's a DPS class base that just gets a few (enough) healing abilities. You can go full heal mode if needed but between fairy, Adlo, and occasional Lustrate it is rarely needed outside of huge pulls or bosses.

Becoming the best SCH is about learning how little you can heal and not have people die.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Embracespam macros are the truth.

I have one for <2> and one for <f>. That's all the manual Embrace I ever need.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I forgot there was a first post. rereading it and it's very helpful. doesn't that mean you have to run Selene on Obey, though? from what I can recall she won't do any commands on Sic. "free stance" or some such bullshit, they call it.

I suppose that's not a big deal, but I'd rather leave her on Sic for most fights. I have yet to run into a fight for which Obey is necessary or even all that useful, although Garuda came close. then again I'm not on hardmode yet lol.

on the other hand, this might be a fun time to try out Eos... she's terrible on Sic but I think she'd be interesting on Obey, and less annoying than Selene due to having greater cooldowns.

on a totally unrelated note, am I the only one curious about what if any buffs we'll get with Heavensward? I want more pets... we won't get them, I know. but I want. SMN has three, come on

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Yeah admittedly I just leave Selene on Sic for dungeons or stuff that doesn't matter. But it is "better" to be able to use Obey and just remember the buffs. Or can use Eos and piss off / impress tanks by having her pop all the things on a pull then have her tank. Eos is best tank.

I remember back when AK Demon Wall had adds I could just pop that and have newbie tanks ignore adds. Felt good.

I miss 2.0 when you could issue pet commands while in Sic (sort of) so you got the best of both worlds but pet macros came at the same time they "fixed" the "problem".

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

yeah I'm going to stick with Sic for now. I use Obey on Garuda because she's too stupid to use Contagion correctly, and then there's the knockback issue... but otherwise it's Sic for Ifrit and Selene. I haven't had occasion to use Eos or Titan much.

anyway I came here to post the perfect example of why I love SCH: Five-Headed Dragon (or Cloud if you like), big attack coming, Sacred Soil, Succor, Virus, (attack hits here), Succor again. dear Jesus that is a sweet feeling. sometimes I'll call out Cloud in chat when she says "Darkness take you all!" and I'm like /p "Darkness ain't taking shit today, lady."

also, as long as I'm here: SMN thoughts! I finished WoD on SCH so I'm taking SMN through the tower now. basically...
    - none of this matters, it's loltower. but if it did matter...
    - Garuda is queen of longer fights or fights where the enemies cluster together. Raging Strikes + Contagion + Bane = DPS Jesus.
    - Ifrit is better when the extended DoTs are less helpful. better DPS overall, especially if Contagion is no longer a factor. example: Xande (I assume his debuffs reset when he teleports. 99% sure?)
    - burst damage situations - like burning down poison slime adds on Five-Headed Dragon or experiment adds on Amon - are where SMN just plain sucks. our best nuke is Fester, and that's locked behind a three-DoT wall. in this situation... sigh. ruin spam is about all you've got. ruin II if you have the MP (and you should at this level).
    - SMN just plain uses Aetherflow charges better than SCH, at least at this level. Sacred Soil is nice but situational and Lustrate can be handy if your party has the main tank, but Fester just blows them both out of the water. I find myself pre-fight Aetherflowing so much more often on SMN, and rarely do I end up blowing charges on Energy Drain just because Aetherflow cooldown is up again.
    - fun fact, Garuda can and will stand in the poison on bosses like Bone Dragon. and yes, the poison affects her. also, moves like Ancient Flare will decimate her regardless of the pet's natural defense against AoEs. most AoEs are not a problem - I can leave her right next to the boss and have no issues - but big moves like that... no sir, she don't like it.

more random thoughts:
    - WoD gear is nuts for SCH. after getting screwed so heavily on soldiery (FUCK YOUR SPELL SPEED), it's nice to have a set so close to the maximum ilvl with a heavy focus on det and crit. in fact I don't see much of an improvement with at least a few of the poetics and dreadwyrm pieces. some are nice but some I'd rather have demon to be honest. maybe I'm missing something? is it really possible that there are a few pieces for now where the BiS is i120?
    - Veil of Wiyu is so much cooler-looking than Omnilex. sorry, Omnilex. I still love you.
    - SMN AF > SCH AF. in fact, all AF > SCH AF. SCH has the worst-looking AF I swear... so ugly.
    - you are not a true SCH if your headpiece is anything other than glamoured spectacles. because books = nerds = glasses.

thank you for listening to my inane ramblings (or possibly just skipping past them)!

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Damien Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

I have been playing a SMN as my main since launch and this is a pretty good over view of the class. I am just sad that we aren't getting as much love as other classes. It has potential and I do hope it gets some serious love come expansion asides from three new pets.