1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 11 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 48 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 17 hours, 11 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 16 hours, 48 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Any suggestions to this build? (trying to gear SMN for fun but spending gil is an option if i110 melded are better in some slots)

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/QKBT

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Short test of Dissipation: Cures went from 1900-2000 to 2.2-2.4k HP.

Could not click off the buff.

Does not affect healing magic potency stat itself.

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    Short test of Dissipation: Cures went from 1900-2000 to 2.2-2.4k HP.

Could not click off the buff.

Does not affect healing magic potency stat itself.
    Does it affect Lustrate, given that most other sources of extra potency don't? I find the skill, in theory, at least, pretty lackluster, as sacrificing the fairy for a fresh aetherflow and 20% extra healing doesn't seem too impressive.

Also, shouldn't we be making a new thread for the 3.0 stuff?

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Lustrate is unaffected. SCH will need a new thread, but I don't want to hastily make a new one just to share that information.

Edit: http://prntscr.com/7jf6ml This is what base stats look like (MND+30 for that image).

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    Lustrate is unaffected. SCH will need a new thread, but I don't want to hastily make a new one just to share that information.
    People rarely update OPs anyway, just having a different thread to make searching for info easier is probably for the best.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Copy/Pasta'd from the vidya deets:
    Reddit Discussion: http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/commen...000_dps_4_min/

i180 SMN + Hive Book
    No Party Buff
    Flint Caviar HQ
    Drac Pots of Int HQ.

Opener: Pre-pop Spur + Rouse + Quelling Strikes , Precast Bio II (Enkindle) , Miasma , Bio I (Energy Drain) , Fester (Pain Flare) , Dreadwyrm Trance (Raging Strikes + Pot) , Tri-disaster (Aetherflow) , Miasma II (Swift Cast) , Shadowflare (Fester + Contagion) , Ruin III , Ruin III (Pain Flare) , Death Flare , Ruin II (Fester)

From this point on maintain your DoTs and continue spamming Ruin II when you are able. When Dreadwyrm Trance comes back up use it and re-apply your DoTs and cast Ruin III when able, closing with Death Flare. Burn your next set of Aether stacks to line up with Tridisaster/Contagion/Swiftcast. From that point on Aetherflow, Tri-disaster, Contagion, and Swiftcast will all come off cool down at the same time and you will be able to re-apply 10%+ damage contagion'd DoTs every minute, while also allowing the optimal amount of Ruin III casts within Dreadwyrm Trance.

This is just my very early approach at the new abilities with Summoner. If you feel that you have a better rotation or would like to add/subtract something, feel free to discuss. Enjoy!
    I've been hearing responses to try Ifrit, and I will begin testing a rotation for that. If anyone would like to contribute to rotation development please feel free to comment and discuss. Before everyone gets on me about Energy Draining, I would like to express that this rotation was made with the intent to sustain in fights, assuming you can stand up front and R2+melee like on Ravana Ex. In hindsight I would like to test Fester+PF+Fester on the first 3 Aethers. However, burning through to get Dreadwyrm Trance lines up better with Ninja's Trick Attack at the 7-8s mark of the encounter allowing for a Tridisaster + Pot + DWT + RS + Contagion buffed DoTs.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eidle Weiss
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

did they change anything about egi's auto attack damage, specifically ifrits? does he still benefit from having a mnk or nin in the party for the weapon type debuff?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I have heard one person say somewhere that Ifrit is 100% magical now but I have no verification nor have I followed SMN closely enough to comment.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

In order to receive the effects of the caster's spell speed attribute, all pet actions excluding auto-attacks have been changed to elemental damage.
    There's this in the patch notes, so I'd assumed they hadn't changed it.

Well for Ifrit his AAs were blunt and his WS was slashing (or was it the other way around? I forget) so the change should effect his WS but not his AAs.

Assuming his AAs were blunt they should still be blunt and benefit from a MNK, his WS will only benefit from Foe's tho.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I always thought that Garuda was better because she could extend the dots. Is ifrit better now?

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eidle Weiss
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Skullcrusher

im not sure, it seems like it would be awesome to put up some dreadwyrm trance buffed dots and extend them with contagion. they changed ifrits radiant shield to buff everyone in range of him so im not sure if its still better to use ifrit if theres a mnk in the party or what.

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Ifrit has always been better than Garuda, in terms of DPS, provided that the following conditions met: high melee uptime with little to no movement, no MP problems for the summoner (as Contagion saves MP) low AoE requirements, and (maybe not necessary, but very convenient) being buffed by MNK and WAR (now only whatever buffs autoattacks). With guaranteed Dreadwyrm Tri-Disaster buffed DoTs every minute, I can see how Garuda can now be more competitive in a wider variety of scenarios.

Also, here's a pretty nice guide for 3.0 SMN:

http://solitude.guildwork.com/_/rihns-smn-guide

The biggest problem with this guide is that it's great for dummy DPS, but can be very difficult to follow in most bosses of the expansion, so far, considering the several jumps, invulnerability moments, adds appearing, etc. As a guide to the potential of SMN I find it awesome, but since any delay on the use of either tri-disaster, Dreadwyrm Trance (and/or the previous aetherflow usage) will screw the alignment of cooldowns, it's hard to translate to reality. Still, provides a template for what to strive for in a fight (align Trance with Tri-Disaster, with a fresh Aetherflow charge, use swiftcast Shadowflare there too to maximize buffed Festers and cheap Ruin III's, etc.)

I'm very happy with SMN changes in this expansion. Every ability has a very good use, the job is more complex and fun to use, and the utility in some weaker areas (burst, AoE) has been improved.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

"Ifrit has always been better, as long as this long as list of things that very few fights have, is met." Probably better to say, Garuda is better UNLESS, you happen to meet this long list.

Tri-disaster and Contagion on the same timer is even more amazing for MP now and Raging dots, then Tri-disaster/Contagion/Raging dots right before it wears off is lovely, then you can add dread trance onto those if timed right. I really see no reason to use Ifrit, as his dps was barely better to begn with, if you happened to meet all requirements.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

And this is why new egi will be hard to implent.

They would either have to nerf Garuda or make the new egi really buffed

Looking at the stats of the Esoterics gear vs Savage Alex gear, for scholars, we'd want based on crit > det (since no accuracy on either gear):

Eso - Head, Body, Feet, Neck, Bracelet, Ring
    Alex - Weapon, Hands, Belt, Legs, Earrings, Ring

Apparently, doing any action, other than R3, that is not instant cast while in DWT is a DPS loss. I've be reading this guide and following the maths and stuff.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Neon Sea
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Really? Always thought that refreshing dots was the way to go. If that is true do you just let them drop off?

So far I am letting dots time out until Bio2 is at >6s and refresh with TD under DWT and then reapply (as they wear) after I DF.

The guide is huge but the math stuff is all at the end and pretty in-depth.

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It's a DPS loss, but your DoTs shouldn't fall anyway. I mean, DWT in the only moment when R3 is available, and it's 50% more potent than Ruin. You use Ruin to fill gaps when not refreshing DoTs. By refreshing DoTs outside of DWT (or inside, with Tri-D) you're in essence excanging Ruin 1 uses not buffed by DWT with Ruin 3 uses buffed by DWT. Refreshing DoTs inside of DWT gains you 10% potency on the DoTs over refreshing them outside. But using Ruin 3 inside over Ruin 1 outside, you gain 65% potency over R1.