Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

doulbe enmity cap is about as useless as doubling the +enmity cap, so no major loss here

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

SMN CPs have been... all useful, shockingly enough.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Too bad it is annoying to get real CP/hr on SMN.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

They should go ahead and tweak the CE and VE modifiers for damage dealt again. It's not a total fix, but it helps.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    They should go ahead and tweak the CE and VE modifiers for damage dealt again. It's not a total fix, but it helps.
    It could be a fix if they completely replaced the level component of those modifiers for something saner like total hp. A simple change in the amounts but still basing it on level might work on a certain subset of mobs but anything with vastly different amount of hp at similar levels it wont... though I suppose they could go about making mobs hps at least semi similar at the same levels... naw that's no fun let's have lvl 128 mobs with 10k hp and lvl 119 mobs with 2mil

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I think the biggest flaw with the enmity system is the values of everything, they're too high and can be used to generate too much in a small amount of time and that's why getting to the cap is a problem. Rather having something generate 100 VE or CE should actually be pumping out like 1, and anything that puts out 10 VE or CE should put out like 0.1. Adjust the formulas on how enmity is generated by dealing damage, how gear adds or removes enmity everything. They can still have their cap because horrible longevity planning but they can make it so getting to the cap would require you being in combat for longer than 10s.

Campaign
    BG Level

I still don't get why tanks don't have a native higher Damage:Enmity conversion ratio than DDs. It's the way it works in the majority of other mmos. Well, one of the ways I guess.
    Altough in FFXI you would kinda need the opposite, keeping Tanks' ratio as it is now and reducing DD's.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

make enmity cap to CE/VE 200k instead of 10k boom every dd sub /drg now!

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    Too bad it is annoying to get real CP/hr on SMN.
    Not really. I capped all my initial categories with endless chains before the capacity chaining was even introduced, in Woh Gates on the level 125ish acuex

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Annoying, not impossible. You too can have lower CP rates-- now with less automation!

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    Annoying, not impossible. You too can have lower CP rates-- now with less automation!
    Except it wasn't annoying at all, and faster than any other CP method I've seen. Just because you can't bot it doesn't mean it's annoying

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seraphus Highwynn
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

If they make tanks too good, then dds will never pull hate, everyone can zerg while pld lazily holds hate and mages can just cure and nuoe haphazardly. Then to balance shit they'll give every NM 35" range aoe's

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Did you say world of Warcraft?

Campaign
    BG Level

Wow is honestly a bad example I'm afraid. It's true that for a while now hate started to be something that hardly matters, but that doesn't mean fights are trivial, all the other way around actually. Need different strategies for all bosses and they all require coordination, team play and attention. It's just a completely different way to intend difficulty compared to ffxi

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    It's just a completely different way to intend difficulty compared to ffxi
    That's a problem with FFXI's design. Those that are at the top end of the game, understand strats, understand and employ gimmicks, Brd swap, use gearswap with adequate sets, etc, find very little in this game difficult. On the other side of the spectrum, you've got mages that don't haste or Dia, DDs who use a single gear set, mages who say "wut" when you mention a precast set, etc. Those sorts of people still manage to wipe to the most mundane of things.

With such a varied difference in performance between players, how can they even add any difficulty to the game without the masses screaming "entitled elistest fuckwads, nerfnerfnerfnerf!" until it happens? I don't know if they can or do intend any difficulty to be present in content anymore. The most difficult things they've done lately is either annoying status spams (slow, para, zombie curse, doom) or insta-gib TP moves, neither of which are really difficult.

I think them willfully expanding the macro system will help bridge that gap a little. Yeah, you'll still have some mental midgets, but for the few unfortunate souls stuck on consoles or too paranoid to try third-party PC options, I can't really fault them for not wanting to press a bunch of buttons just to perform one action.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

with the way that XI is structured, there can never be anything truly "difficult" aside from finding enough competent people to do things with

It's part of why a lot of MMORPGs end up homogenizing classes because a bunch of variation really doesn't matter to "elite" players and it makes it easy to balance everything to satisfy both casual and hardcore players, to the annoyance of people who like the RPG stuff. This isn't really limited to online games, either.

Like, you can play Etrian Odyssey 4 and use that broken Imperial/Runespam Strategy every speedrunner uses but that kinda takes the fun out of the game. This is from one of the most well-balanced RPG series out there.

I think FFXI should be Free-2-Play
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    I think them willfully expanding the macro system will help bridge that gap a little. Yeah, you'll still have some mental midgets, but for the few unfortunate souls stuck on consoles or too paranoid to try third-party PC options, I can't really fault them for not wanting to press a bunch of buttons just to perform one action.

For people not wanting to build multiple proper sets, new macro system isn't going to fix anything. Default macro system is never a legit excuse for not having proper sets. I don't use third-party tool and I don't have an issue using precast/preshot sets. If you care enough then you'd build different sets, with or without third-party tools and vice versa.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

How many times are we going to have the same discussion over and over? If people found Legion/Delve 1.0 difficult, then I think they can still create things that are difficult. Delve 1.0 was a decent balance and it was only made like less than a year ago.