Closed Thread
Page 427 of 733 FirstFirst ... 377 417 425 426 427 428 429 437 477 ... LastLast

Thread: Dev Tracker: Discussion     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lyramion View Post
    Holy shit I am so glad I decided to spend money and saved up stones.
    Holy shit am I sad that I didn't use stones and sold them instead.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Malithar View Post
    Holy shit am I sad that I didn't use stones and sold them instead.
    What because it's harder to get good mab augments with +1 stone on helios now?

Campaign
    BG Level

Love how SE is always so fair <3

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Did I miss this months freshly picked english translation, or are we getting ours 2 days before the next update again?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The month is only 2 days old give it some time man

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It's march 2 already, we're basically in april!

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I mean the febuary update was the 19th. We used to get the freshly pick like within a week or 2 from the update (the jp version landing a lot faster). I thought they already did the JP version for feb, (thought I read a translation of it somewhere), so I am kinda just wondering. Last months the official translation came way later than the JP one.

When players translate them its really nice, but I like to check through the official one cause sometimes the players versions dont have it all. Its also nice for those players who dont check BG or whatever and only use the official sources. I guess I am just spoiled by the speed they had done them in the past.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpy View Post
    I mean the febuary update was the 19th. We used to get the freshly pick like within a week or 2 from the update (the jp version landing a lot faster). I thought they already did the JP version for feb, (thought I read a translation of it somewhere), so I am kinda just wondering. Last months the official translation came way later than the JP one.

When players translate them its really nice, but I like to check through the official one cause sometimes the players versions dont have it all. Its also nice for those players who dont check BG or whatever and only use the official sources. I guess I am just spoiled by the speed they had done them in the past.
    No there hasn't been one yet and it's not really any later it's only been 11 days since the last update. So far we've only gotten the general hey there is a update on the way with some very basic stuff. Bigger details/freshly picked will probably come Thursday/Friday if I had to guess maybe next week

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

From a few pages back.

JP version has been out since the 20th. It just takes a while to get around to translating it. Or maybe just to translate it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Thanks Hitou. First time I think I noticed no game footage, sometimes they will show future stuffs. This time they just showed that notepad with pics of the upcoming dnc trust.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

They also haven't put it in the jp side dev section so their is no transcripts which would slow down a translation. Also came out same date as the update so probably got lost. Some quick google fu of the bullets of each section they talk about makes it look like they are just talking about the update that happened that day largely containing stuff the jp side already knew for a bit

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rehn Valor
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Was there any hint of reforged salvage gear? With all the salvage give-away from login campaigns, I figure they'd be renewed eventually. But with the advent of yorcia II gear and upcoming march empyrean armor renewal, I guess there isn't a place left for salvage stuff.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

what the fuck did SE break in Provenance? lol
    Who the fuck does anything in Provenance that they found what SE broke in Provenance?

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rehn View Post
    Was there any hint of reforged salvage gear?
    Only thing they ever said about it is that they had no intention to ever upgrade it.
    They could still change their mind though.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ziz Gorlin
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

pls no more reforges after emp. hopefully they start adding more new content after vagary and maybe even new legion chambers

Campaign
    BG Level

Not sure I get the love people have for Legion. Is it nostalgia goggles or am I missing something?
    On one hand I can understand it was challenging, and that is something nowadays' FFXI could seriously use, point taken.
    But the rest?

Legion was imho a wrong way to balance difficulty in a game which was trying to get out of its abyssea period and was very unevenly unbalanced with incredibly powerful buffs.
    There was little space for mistakes in Legion, it was highly punishing, it required very specific setups where you weren't using smart, articulated strategies involving gimmicks, but rather exploiting buffs, stunlocking stuff, zerging what you could zerg, all while maximizing the time you could ride on certain powerful buffs.
    This is an ungenerous simplification maybe, but not that far from reality.
    It was frustrating, excessively punishing. Some of those NMs are still incredibly powerful/annoying these days with over 20 more levels and incredibly more powerful tools at our disposal. Wind back time and get back to when level cap was still 99 and see how things really were back then.

In addition to this add an uninspiring, dark, boring scenario (same exact room with the same exact pillars), recycled models, unability to use a wide amount of jobs and, quite frankly, the drops were very disappointing. Altough this was likely a byproduct of having been spoiled by abyssea drops for years.
    Yes, there were quite a few nice items, but overall I recall the majority of people were very disappointed by the average drops quality, even before taking into account the effort/reward ratio. I remember this being talked on official forums by JP players as well, and the reply being "gear is fine, please take into account the synergy augments too".
    Oh right, I forgot about those incredibly nice 90+ millions gil cursed items. Yeah, what's not to love about Legion?

I mean, I'd welcome challenging content with open arms, but I seriously hope they'll go for something smarter and less cheating/stupid than Legion was.
    When I think about a recent good example of how something can attract different types of audience, allow different setups and still offer a challenge to the players without being utterly punishing/frustrating I think about old Delve v1, not Legion.
    But maybe that's just me?

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I disagree with about everything you said. I really liked Legion.

Campaign
    BG Level

I'd love to understand why then.
    Why did you like legion?
    What is it you liked in legion?
    Why do you think it "worked" and was a successful part of ffxi?
    Why do you think legion would be beneficial for ffxi at the present time and state of the game?

To me it's not even a matter of legion being bad in absolute way, I was comparing it to pre nerf delve v1 saying how while both were challenging (something I feel ffxi really needs now) the second offered a much better and efficient model for the reasons I listed.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ziz Gorlin
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I'll agree the drops were lackluster, but legion was a great stepping stone to learning organization for delve. We definitely did a quite a bit of legion between delve to practice. Keep in mind that before we actually cleared tojil, our reward for each delve run was 10k plasm, you could at least get a few million gil off of arise and meteors. There's no reason they can't revamp the drop pools and new items from legion points if they do add new chambers.

Campaign
    BG Level

It's not like I didn't do Legion, and I'm talking about serious pre-Adoulin Legion.
    Legion done with Adoulin Gear was a much more relaxing type of content (and yes, I did that too).
    Was talking about Legion in its prime.

There were some obvious pros, but imho it was an overall badly tuned event which only affected a small minority of the player base (again, talking about its prime).
    Continuing the comparison with pre-nerf Delve1

• It cathered to small minority of groups with very strict setups // Delve cathered to a large audience who could experience the content in several ways (beads, plasm runs on trash, 5nm runs, full runs etc). Setups allowed weren't infinite but there was a large degree of freedom granted to group leaders. tl;dr even before the several nerfs, it "scaled" to suit several different types of players. (Legion maybe tried to do that with some wings, but imho failed)
    • Single boring room // Ok, Cirdas_U can get boring, but at least there was some small exploring/moving to do that kept things less boring than a single, identical room.
    • Aside from a few exceptions, overall quality of drops was much lower compared to the standards at those times // Most drops were pretty insane, and not just the difficult to obtain from bosses. Last but not least, you had a way to "slowly" build points and work towards the item you wanted, if RNG and lots didn't like you.
    • To compensate for insanely powerful buffs players had on their side, monsters were insanely retarded. To the point you can still see that now that we're level 119 with incredibly powerful damage tools, imagine how they were for abyssea-geared level 99 players. // Monsters were tough, several PUG groups could wipe, but while you could try to dominate them with pure power, you could outsmart them by using specific strategies and tactics. We could argue for the megabosses, but no NM was retardedly broken or frustrating/annoying. None "required" strict strategies with minimal space for human error. There was a certain, not infinite of course, degree of freedom granted to players.

I mean, I dunno, this is how I see things. It's not even a matter of Legion sucking in absolute, I'm just comparing it to pre-nerf Delve1.
    Both were challenging, one was achieving that with cheap game design tricks that felt like game was cheating and was kinda forcing you to "cheat" in return with very specific strategies and exploits.
    The other was being challenging in what I think it's a much smarter way, a much better display of "good" and healthy game design.