+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Log Horizon     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I never thought of that when they showed his name earlier... And it's strange no one else did earlier, like the mentors.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

You'd have to manually /check each person to be able to tell. It's why combat is more annoying now since you actually have to concentrate to check your party's status instead of just glancing at their hp/mp bar like in RL. If they were doing more personalized advice for the players instead of just powerleveling until lv 20(when they need hp they run to the mage and she tops em off with cure 1) and then letting them party up after teaching general party roles before they learn the value of teamwork in a dungeon it would have been noticed pretty fast.
    The high levels weren't exactly about to inspect every kid out of 300~(I think) and this game seems to have enough variety that giving them cookie cutter info about a class might be detrimental when they could try some weird job/subjob combo they find fun instead.
    TLDR /check is just enough trouble that noone has a reason to do so until you're in a party.
    Spoiler: show
    Minori actually noticed a while ago because she's the white mage.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Things are starting to get interesting...

It is interesting how they did the reveal for Rudy by having him being rejected friend list requests.

Looks like next episode is when the cat comes out of the bag. Also lol@Sahagins...

Only 10 episodes left which covers volumes 5 and 6 of the light novels. I wonder if there will be a second season in the future as the light novels are still continuing.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Wow, didn't even see that coming. So glad I kept away from spoilers in the 4chan threads.

Speaks in riddles
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reyd Nalaar
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Draenor

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Mostly anime original episode today to prop up teamnoob's importance. I dont mind this since it was a good episode but it was also entirely unneeded and feels as if they're doing it to stretch things out and stop us from getting the Nurena cliffhanger at the end of the season or they're going to cut out part of the arc after this.
    We basically lost out on nighttime magical guerrilla warfare and/or princess NEET time for a week in order to make minori look good.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Reynesia in this latest episode... delicious.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    Reynesia in this latest episode... delicious.

You have no idea what's happening next. Let's just say Akatsuki isn't the only one who gets costume'd.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Reading the LN really makes you hate when they leave out one or two lines in a scene that would have enhanced a character's character by a bunch, or that would have enhanced the situation a bunch, or that would have made everything make more sense. I read the LNs from the start to where the anime was at before episode 17 aired, and then finished volume 5 (which is where the anime should end) a day or two after.

Overall the anime definitely does the source material justice. Raynesia's character is better in the anime, imo, due to those delicious facial expressions. Everything directly battle related is worse, but not by much; thankfully Log Horizon's fight:notfight ratio is pretty low. I like how I correctly called that this episode (18) would have a metric shit ton of stills and other low budget animation techniques, and the next one or two probably will as well. I'm hoping this means they've focused their efforts and budgets into animating the upcoming battle scenes, but since it is NHK I won't be getting my hopes up too high.

The primary things where the anime falls short is as followed: 1. Everybody looks squeaky clean during/after battle when ideally they'd be covered in sweat, dirt, grime, and blood. No blood because of NHK, but some grime would have really gone a long way. 2. Bodies (of basically every living thing) turning into bubbles immediately instead of some mild blood/gore and the corpse remaining there for at least a few seconds to minutes. Once again-- NHK, shikata ga nai.

I'll list a couple key differences, lines, scenes, or explanations the anime skipped that I think will help everyone appreciate the show/story/setting/scene a bit more. In spoilers just to save space, only covering up to episode 18 (obviously).

• There was no rat boss at the exit of the Depths of Palm.
    • Nyanta vs Demikas, the HP differences/fluctuations weren't as drastic.
    • Shiroe sneakily cast the first Thorn Bind Hostage shortly before Naotsugu's Castle of Stone.
    • Thorn Bind Hostage doesn't actually root a target.
    • Nyanta's 10-hit attack (not 9) destroys all the thorn vines and downs Demikas on the spot. All the healers are dead at this point.
    • Immediately after Londark screams as Akatsuki has cut off one of his arms, and then puts her blade to his neck.
    • Shiroe finishes Londark off himself by decapitating him.
    • In the scrub dungeon, Rudy gets hit in the head with the arrow, instead of catching it.
    • Marielle's bathing suit was actually a traditional 2-piece Bikini, she wore an open hoodie on top because of how boing it was.
    • When Nyanta recommended she change clothes from her Bikini+Hoodie, she was tightly hugging Naotsugu in her usual blissful way.
    • Immediately after Reynesia finished asking for Crusty's help at the conference Shiroe+Akatsuki and Crusty pulling Reynesia quickly made their way to the balcony as they used their griffon flutes. Meeting room in chaos, knights+grandfather rushing after her. Crusty assumes the princess carry position and jumps with just his legs onto his griffon.
    • Reynesia was in front of Crusty, facing him, and "held on to Crutsy's chest tightly".
    • Akatsuki was also in front of Shiroe this time, initially facing forward but eventually turns around while talking. Following suit: "Akatsuki buried her face in Shiroe's chest as if she were cold and Shiroe hugged her close to protect her with a gentle expression on his face".
    • Right after Reynesia's Speech to the adventurers instead of the extremely simplified "If you wish to volunteer, come forward" and "[Blah Blah forward strike battalion] I will be contacting you within fifteen minutes via telepathy. That is all. Stand by until then." it was "Within 15 minutes from now I will be contacting the blitz group through telepathy. The members who receive the message please [head to Akiba River] and the experimental dock. [...] [Others, you belong to the main force, head to the registration counter at the city's east gate.] You can proceed as instructed after being registered on the friend list of the registration staff."

Mamare also does a lot of future story and side story hinting throughout the writing. Such as referencing this upcoming battle as the first great expedition of the east or something, and then mentioning that there was another one in the west at the same time. Or when he does something like "The act of spoilers was the reason why he earned the nickname "Chronicler of the East" in the future." He leaves so much untold, in a good way, that I can't wait for him to eventually start pushing out lots and lots of interesting side stories.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Yeah alot of stuff could be helped immensely via adding lines to people but at least they're doing a decent/good job unlike some other studios.Would have been nice for the princess to refuse to acknowledge that that could remotely be called a skirt instead of some sort of ribbon.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Let me guess, Shiroe is going to use his Scribe skill to either create a new skill that can resurser NPC's, or to create a "World Rift" spel that allows NPC's to resurrect? Or maybe more localized to allow NPC's to undergo a contract to become an adventurer? Which I suppose would be kind of like a world rift.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azull Abaddon
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Loved seeing a ramp up on the action with this last ep

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Bard sings songs dramatically to improve the party.
    Sorcerer nukes monsters to hell
    Samurai does flashykill move
    Even the Druid starts using attacking magic
    Minori stands there and says good job.
    I don't hate minori myself even if I don't see what's impressive about her but oh god is it hilarious how easy it is to point out that she sucks and is an exp leech.

Oh and I submitted my classes in for the localization. Did anyone else turn in some stuff? I actually ran out of time for some ideas/details I had the submission was long as hell to begin with so I'm probably going to cause headaches for some intern.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Well, for newbies, having someone to go "Dude, you are going to pull hate, stop attacking" is kind of necessary. Look at how many dune parties ended in wipes because the BLM didn't stop pulling aggro.

That being said these kids should have learned the basics a long time ago.

On the plus side, it looks like we'll be ending at Nureha's reveal.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I don't hate minori myself even if I don't see what's impressive about her but oh god is it hilarious how easy it is to point out that she sucks and is an exp leech.
    Meh. Try doing an endgame fight with everyone in first person and you'll quickly find out that someone "slacking on their class" to perform a greater roll is an incredibly important part of battles that involve strategy. I can only feel pity for people who don't understand how the party would fail horribly without her, and even go as far to claim she's a leech. They wouldn't make it very far.

Does Minori actually cast spells and do shit while "monitoring" or does she just stand there like a lemon watching the shit go down?

I think the difference between Minori and Shirou is that he actually does shit.

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I'd say she's useful only cause she's in a group of noobs who need to be told all the time what to do. She'd be a dead weight if they were more expert at the game, or simply if she was put in a party with the high level people.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Does Minori actually cast spells and do shit while "monitoring" or does she just stand there like a lemon watching the shit go down?

She casts occasional barrier spells and is the sub healer but generally speaking that party setup is complete shite and would be better served via replacing Minori with a DD(of any sort) or a tank (with a voke that isn't only melee range )would fix so many goddamned problems that party has.

It would be less of an issue if she didn't SUCK at her role of monitor/strategist. The bard has an aoe gravity/slow spell and you don't even think to request it for kiting purposes when shit starts to hit the fan after being taught advance MMO tactics? That's just called being a failure right there.
    The other problem is that none of the strategies are really made by her. It's just everyone else being competent and talking it out beforehand so her nagging about shit they already know and actually thought of on their own doesn't come off as useful.

There's also the lack of a backup plan for said shit hitting the fan in an event KNOWN to have stuff beyond their power but her realization that she was being an arrogant little shit when she refused high level help covers this.

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I've got to say, the handwringing in this thread is kind of hilarious. It's akin to expecting a new group of people to have years of MMO experience and bitching out when they don't. Especially since the usual rules are starting to be thrown out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post

Kannagi is right beside Enchanter as being one of the most technical classes. It's not a direct class, but requires being able to survey the state of the battlefield and predict its movements in order to maximize its benefits (in this case, damage mitigation). Hence why Shiroe's Full Control Encounter is important - it allows him to actually do something by predicting in advance.

Because Minori and co. are low leveled, I'm not surprised if she appears to be dead weight right now. Especially since she's just now starting to develop FCE. Then again, you're also dealing with other matters such as an (until recently) NPC not knowing anything about MMO mechanics, a physically crippled kid who is trying to make up for lost time to the point of recklessness, etc. Each of them have their own issues to work out.

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

The fact that so many people are so RAGE about the nub party is a credit to the author and script writer.
    It shows they have properly written an actual nub party.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast