+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Log Horizon     submit to reddit submit to twitter

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

We don't expect them to have years of mmo experience. We expect a person who studied MMO mechanics and strategies after being taught them for what a look at the timeline shows as being up to TWO MONTHS to learn these very basic things we all have experience learning.(this also means we learned it isn't hard to learn)

There's also the fact that the full field control thing is really not important because the answer to everything usually turns out to be sleep the monster and keep killing the current one or have a DD that can tank hold the mob. Shiroe is a red mage. How many good redmages do you think can say with a straight face that hey should stand back so that they can strategist instead of spamming enfeebles, cures,crowd control,buffs,refresh, etc? The controller role if done is also more suited to bards since they can sit back and relax (while still enfeebling)after applying a buff that lasts several hours so they're going to be less busy than sidelining a healing class.

Minori isn't completely awful but she's easy to pick on because:

Her position as a healer is usually redundant and taking up a slot for a more useful ally(they totally should have grabbed one of the higher level(from the noob camp) dps to be a 6th member after a practice run
    The moment it wasn't redundant it failed spectacularly
    The strategies she usually gets credit for were just the party talking to each other instead of her inventing it all
    She has the role of strategist and completely neglected to use a strategy the party used barely a fight or two earlier
    Her "excellence" is for a role not used by 99% of parties specifically because it's not needed (unless you're in batshit retarded group) and when used in an MMO is basically a chatbot calling out when the monster shift changes, declares timed nukes, or is close to a preset move incase you forgot to notice it on your own somehow( a notable exception to this is EVE online since humans are usually smarter than a basic AI so they require more adaptation),
    They show scenes of everyone else doing something spectacular while she stands there saying "good job everyone"
    The fact that looking 30 seconds into the future really isn't that hard as the second some tard joins the alliance we already forsee the wipe , various other permutations of seeing into the future that people have in MMOs (how many times have you thought I bet that monster is totally going to do the worst thing it can and kill me in 30 seconds?)
    The accomplishments of other well liked characters are being cut out for more screentime for team noob( No Naogotsu running around like a space marine from warhammer40k, no nyanta aoe rampages, Marielle looks utterly useless in the anime when she essentially nonstop healed an actual army of underleveled noobs fighting the fishbutt army.{now that i think of it those other noobs were impressive.they fought stuff that was basically hnms to them}
    The fact that in an MMO party with their current setup she DOES qualify as a leech makes it easy. (Who here would honestly say a pt of pre buff sch, whm, blm sam, and melee brd is a good setup or that the sch isn't redundant? That party barely even pretends tohya is the tank. they have Rudy grab aggro and freeze the monsters like he was aoe blm in mount Z pudding soloing or one shotting them in half the depicted fights)
    Japanese are also way more casual about shit than we are from my experience so we unconsciously set the bar higher for average.
    It gets even worse when backlash hits for people proclaiming her greatness for what amounts to standing there as everyone else is awesome in the animations.( I just had to explain that Minori actually does cast a few minutes ago)

There are legitimate reasons for not being too impressed by her.

If she wasn't getting the spotlight I don't think anyone would really care just like how almost noone is going to bitch about an imperfect setup without brd cor mage DD DD DD in the dunes/jungles.
    Spoiler: show
    The fact that she's about to defeat a massive (clerical? paperwork?) attack designed to overload dozens if not hundreds of workers who do this for an entire city regularly with a tiny bit of help from her brother doesn't help either. Seriously? a twelve year old is supposed to be that much more competent than all of the other adults?

Chillax.

And kids being "better" than adults has kinda been an anime/manga/game thing since like forever. Yeah, it's annoying as an adult to basically be marginalized as brainless or incapable, but I'm doubting we're the target audience here. Overall, we're not really seeing these battles unfold to their fullest. Blame timing constraints, animation budgets, or whatever. Combat has actually been pretty scarce in this show, which unfortunately works against Minori in portraying planning or even further elaborating their dungeon experience. And if we're taking a "What would I do" stance, if caught in a world where we lose our memories when we die, I'd rather be in a party with too many healers/support than a zerg style DD group that'll inevitably tax the healers. I do NOT miss those days on RDM. This shit isn't about the best EXP or loot per hour. It's about survival, and by proxy, protecting a town of NPCs.

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    The fact that so many people are so RAGE about the nub party is a credit to the author and script writer.
    It shows they have properly written an actual nub party.
    No shit.

The armflailing is absolutely delicious.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Khajit needs some moon sugar.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

COUNTERACTION RISING

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Oh man from the preview next episode is supposed to be like this one?

Go away Minori, you're too young for the boy!

World full of magic and mystery? Fuck that, gotta bone teacher!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Isn't "Let's go see the festival together, Oniichan" usually used as midseason filler? How many more episodes are left in this season?

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic View Post
    Isn't "Let's go see the festival together, Oniichan" usually used as midseason filler? How many more episodes are left in this season?
    Actually... it happens in book 5. It's not filler at all. Spoilered for table breaking.

Spoiler: show

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I have a feeling this anime will end in a somewhat unsatisfying way, is there more material from the light novels to hope for a future season?

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

This run is effectively ending on volume 5. I'm disappointed they're not getting to volume 6 and 7 (and it's still ongoing from there, not to mention there's the Kanami side stories), but I'm sure there will be enough material.

They've also been entering side-stuff like Honey Moon Logs as filler, although the scene two episodes where a certain female is telling about the contract is completely new (she's important later). They tossed in some other new things as well.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackrose View Post
    This run is effectively ending on volume 5. I'm disappointed they're not getting to volume 6 and 7 (and it's still ongoing from there, not to mention there's the Kanami side stories), but I'm sure there will be enough material.

They've also been entering side-stuff like Honey Moon Logs as filler, although the scene two episodes where a certain female is telling about the contract is completely new (she's important later). They tossed in some other new things as well.
    So Saturday is the last episode for this run? Wonder when the next season will start up.

Also off topic, CreamSoda your signature gifs prompted me to look up that anime a week ago and now my gf and I are hooked on Yowamushi Pedal lol

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    So Saturday is the last episode for this run? Wonder when the next season will start up.

Also off topic, CreamSoda your signature gifs prompted me to look up that anime a week ago and now my gf and I are hooked on Yowamushi Pedal lol

welcome to the club

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Season two just got confirmed btw. Looks like it might end up airing the same time as SAO season 2.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post

welcome to the club
    Leah and I marathoned all of Yowamushi Pedal this week as well, lol.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

These episodes felt shorter every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Couldn't help myself either, good show.

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

And so it ends with another weird girl who wants Shiroe's D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    Season two just got confirmed btw. Looks like it might end up airing the same time as SAO season 2.
    Interesting, competition!

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    Season two just got confirmed btw.
    YESSSSS

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Glad Season 2 is confirmed. It is going to be hard not to peak at the rest of the novels until then.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast