+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Log Horizon     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Quote Originally Posted by The Blackrose View Post
    Remains to be seen where they splurge the majority of their animation budget. Between volume 6 and 7, there's a lot of combat. Either we're going to have some great looking fights, or we're all going to end up screaming DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN.
    Generally my take, but at the same time, S1 wasn't exactly rife with awesome animation, either. lolCGsahagin.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

The animation wasn't excellent to begin with; as long as the plot remains as good as it has been I'm ok.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Every time I try to watch the opening and actually pay attention to the quality I end up jamming out to database

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Anyone able to extract the subtitle files from this season's episodes? My main computer went boom and my holdover until i buy something decent is arbitrarily refusing to notice the subs.(some random series seem to have subs it notices while others dont)

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

This show is like a ghetto SAO; thought the first season was pretty terrible. First episode of season 2 was solid though; I'll give it a few more episodes.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Better SAO*

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    This show is like a ghetto SAO; thought the first season was pretty terrible. First episode of season 2 was solid though; I'll give it a few more episodes.
    I don't have an appropriate face for this post.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Get that SAO fan service shit outta here. Animation complaints aside, this plot is by and large far ahead of other shows with a similar concept.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Don't get me wrong, I like SAO. But Log Horizon does a much better job with the genre and world building as a whole. SAO did it right during the Aincrad arc, but ever since then it's just been 100% Kirito playing his game of the week with his girl of the week.

Pro's Pet
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

They're very different. Sure LH have people living in a videogame, but they don't seem to ever give two fucks about their real lives. In SAO instead the connection between virtual world and reality is always a heavy point.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Maybe you're watching a different show? They're absolutely worried about the real world, but they have no idea how to return to it. In SAO, they at least think they know how to return to reality.

In LH, they're worried about their memories being erased after death. They factor this in and weigh the pros and cons of interacting with the world cause they very well could lose what makes them human if they aren't careful enough. In SAO, death is death, so they treat the game as the real world; and it might as well be. They pretty much live in a fantasy world with the same general rules of reality, which imo just wastes time with the whole MMO concept of you can just ignore the vidya part of the plot and treat the world like normal.

The only issue I had with Log Horizon is that they were automatically in the game and that you don't realize until later that they used to actually play like we did. Not that it was a VRMMO(at least until that expansion?). There's no mention of how their living bodies are still alive or if they're being kept alive. Other than that I enjoy it just as much but for different reasons.

Let's face it. The characters in LH have fairly reasonable reactions to suddenly living in a post-scarcity economy where throwing fireballs is a normal part of day-to-day.

Plus, the LN goes a bit more into the, "holy shit what" aspect of it at the beginning more. People killing themselves to try and escape, etc.

And then at some point you're supposed to start going, "Huh. Maybe it wasn't just a game?" Just like the characters begin to do.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

So what you're saying is, better plot and character development.

I'm curious too about the VR/RL time progression. They've been in game for 3 or so months so far, give or take a couple of weeks. Shione mentions that a game day lasts approximately an hour? That means they've been hooked up to the game for around 4 days nonstop.

2-3 Months - 62-93 days
    62-93 days / 24 Hours (24 VR per RL day) - 2.5/3.8 RL Days

They better start answering this shit pretty soon in the show, else I'm going to grow increasingly suspect of w/e stupid plot device they come up with to explain it. How does eating in game affect their RL bodies? Sleep can be explained, but not physically taking in sustenance or hell expelling waste.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I don't think it's an important question since the expansion or helmet can explain away the experience of time in game. Who's to say a game day isn't 30min real time now?

I'll just assume the headgear copied their brains and this is just all one big sim test.

Anyway, if I had one big gripe with LH, is that it kind of feels like waiting an hour outside the gate to Einherjar because people are late, need to change jobs, gear up, or whatever, just for that 15m of fun. I'm also in the camp that the general lack of RL concern feels worrisome, as that's practically seemed dropped once the issue of possible memory loss is outed. Overall, it seems like Shiroe is the only one who seems to give a shit about things outside his immediate circle, which doesn't help with the whole wait:action ratio since it's office time/meetings en masse and then an adventure.

Hopefully this season doesn't spend too much time on the noobs or Akatsuki's "notice me sempai!" issues. Wanna throw out the RL card? Fine. Give us a plot worthy of the setting out of it, at least.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

It's like you don't like character development.

All that waiting helped develop the characters, the newbs specifically, and did things like make the big reveal about guilds and npcs all that better. It also helped introduce us to the rules of the worldwhile being more then just fluff. I hope season 2 is more of the same.

I think people are potentially forgetting the idea that they might not actually be "stuck" in the game. It's entirely plausible, within the scope of the universe, that it's never been a game but some wacky portal into another world and the "World Fraction" was some weird-ass magic spell that actually just transported people that were playing into this other world.

I mean, the entire point of the majority of Season 1 was to show the fact that NPCs are no longer just NPCs. They are, ostensibly, normal-ass people.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'd rather compare Overlord to Log Horizon than I would SAO to LH. The existence of an unknown factor, in what happened, is extremely important to what the characters will want to do. In LH they eventually decide to treat the world like it's a real world with real people, meanwhile in SAO they know it's not the real world. This is a huge difference in acknowledged setting. You won't get a properly comparable setting with SAO until alicization or progressive(?).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast