1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 6 hours, 7 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 17 hours, 52 minutes
    Last weekly reset was -1 hours, -53 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 10 hours, 52 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Multiple Characters vs. Sticking with one - Thoughts?

Figured this might foster some interesting discussion, since I see this being talked about a lot in my server.

Main reason for this seems to be the way Coil lockout is set up and the way Mythology is earned/caps out. Otherwise I don't think there would be a point.

Seems a lot of people are doing the alt character thing so that they can have say, a healer and a tank - two vastly different classes which don't share gear, and still do coil on both and gain myth on both since gearing up every class in myth is very slow.

Anyone else doing this? I'm kind of considering it aside from the obvious cons of not being able to share gear you might get more access to on your main and etc.

I just leveled a second character, and let me just say... I wish I hadn't.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

In the process of leveling my 2nd now (main SCH, alt-to-be WHM admittely kind of stupid) and all the while debating just getting 2* i70 shit on my main if I really want to play other jobs so bad.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

You don't really need +1 relic or mytho gear for entry level coil, so I personally won't be making an alt anytime soon. Then again I also have no desire of pimping out a second class right now.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I've got a WHM on one char, WAR on another, and GSM on one, and CRP on the other, and now I'm regretting it. I just leveled CRP for fun, but after spending all that time, I wish I'd leveled it for fun on the character that already had GSM at 50.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I barely have time to keep up with 1 character + myth caps, not to mention the patience when I do have time. I wouldn't subject myself to the grind of 2 characters.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shanoa Varhara
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I have two extra alts from 1.0 (my lalas were too cute to get rid of) that have 2-6 jobs capped out each and been contemplating just using them to gear different jobs. I'm still indecisive on my main character on which job to Myth out since I like playing so many of them. That aside, current endgame leaves a lot of free time so it's not too hard to catch up an alt.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I look at multiple characters in XIV the same way I would look at someone who leveled multiple characters in XI because they wanted to do Dynamis more than twice a week:

Why?

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    I look at multiple characters in XIV the same way I would look at someone who leveled multiple characters in XI because they wanted to do Dynamis more than twice a week:

Why?
    "Why?" as in you don't have the motivation/why bother? Or "Why?" as in you don't see how the possible trade off of gearing up faster might be worth it?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I could point out that XI had more things to DO at 75 than just dynamis (ground sky, sea limbus nyzul salvage othershit if you count expansions) but then we'd be pointing out we're not at expansions yet in XIV anyways so moot comparison.

But I didn't get into XI endgame until well after CoP was released so idk.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

If I played more I might. In theory I'd really like to. In WoW I usually had two mains per expansion. 1 to run events with my guild, another to do lfg/shout runs on the side (or pvp). I kinda wish I could do that here, but I am not dedicated enough to go through that storyline again.

Especially when I hold onto hope they are going to do something about the lockouts to make it so you could have at least two mains.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    If I played more I might. In theory I'd really like to. In WoW I usually had two mains per expansion. 1 to run events with my guild, another to do lfg/shout runs on the side (or pvp). I kinda wish I could do that here, but I am not dedicated enough to go through that storyline again.

Especially when I hold onto hope they are going to do something about the lockouts to make it so you could have at least two mains.
    The way they handle coil lockout and myth is like... in tandem, at least to me it seems. The rate you might get gear from coil is around the same as the rate you would get myth gear, unless you're either really lucky or extremely unlucky. I don't see them changing the lockout or myth cap any time soon because they want these sets to be the best. I feel like when we get new turns in 2.2 we'll still have the same lock outs but with better gear obviously.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Uryuu View Post
    "Why?" as in you don't have the motivation/why bother? Or "Why?" as in you don't see how the possible trade off of gearing up faster might be worth it?
    But you don't gear up faster. You gear another character up at an equal rate. You still can't put any more mythology or BC gear per week on your main account. At least with the Dynamis comparison, you could theoretically give the excess currency generated by your alt to your main account.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post
    But you don't gear up faster. You gear another character up at an equal rate. You still can't put any more mythology or BC gear per week on your main account. At least with the Dynamis comparison, you could theoretically give the excess currency generated by your alt to your main account.
    Pretty sure he means you would gear up two classes faster than having the two on the same account.

Getting 300 myth per week per class is going to be faster than getting 300 myth per week for all classes.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyHobo View Post
    The idea is: You would level those classes on your main anyway, and have 300 more mythology to work with, no?

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

yeah, i don't understand this train of thought of having multiple characters... since everything that's worth a damn is rare/ex. and i've yet to see someone dual boxing their way through AK/WP with any sort of efficency i just don't understand it....

So you gear out your bard main and your whm main with Binding Coil gear..... and you just keep gearing out the two characters so that you can play one or the other if it's needed for Crystal Tower? I guess or...

If you enjoy playing the game that much and want to run coil twice/thrice a week, that's cool, I can't knock that. But my FC leader did this and he litterly only uses his alt if a healer doesn't show up for our alternate coil groups.. which has not occured yet.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Unless everyone else in your group is also leveling alt characters (to evade coil lockout), what's the point? DL is good enough for anything not-coil, so you're basically mythgearing up a second job so you can... run the coil with randoms?

It seems silly to create another character explicitly for purposes of spamming the narrow retail-release endgame content more rapidly, but it's your time, I suppose.

Personally I don't really see the point. One of the good things about FF11/14 is being able to do everything on one character, and easily switch classes/jobs any time you want. Levelling an alt seems quite unnecessary.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by shepardG View Post
    yeah, i don't understand this train of thought of having multiple characters... since everything that's worth a damn is rare/ex.
    That's like all other mmos though.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Berabouman View Post
    Personally I don't really see the point. One of the good things about FF11/14 is being able to do everything on one character, and easily switch classes/jobs any time you want. Levelling an alt seems quite unnecessary.
    Some people would disagree XIV does this solely on the grounds of myth/coil forcing you to limit your focus to 1 job, maybe 2-3 at best.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast