+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Ridill
    BG Level

So someone gets shot in the back of the head on someone's porch and the big head line isn't that she was shot in the back of the head on someone's porch but that she was a black woman?

I know racism is still a thing and all, but shouldn't the horrible atrocity be that a human got shot in the back of the head by some dude and not that black women get mistreated some times?

Quote Originally Posted by isladar View Post
    It's not.

It's indicative of WAY bigger issues women deal with, and it is 100% not just you.
    As if men never worry about getting jumped, or mugged, or murderated by some sketchy fuck walking on the sidewalk... Sigh. It is just paranoia, since the actual incidence of violence towards anyone (regardless of gender) is ridiculously low in most places. If you live in a shitty area, your paranoia may be slightly more justified, but you're still far more likely to have nothing happen to you than something on any given day.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    As if men never worry about getting jumped, or mugged, or murderated by some sketchy fuck walking on the sidewalk... Sigh. It is just paranoia, since the actual incidence of violence towards anyone (regardless of gender) is ridiculously low in most places. If you live in a shitty area, your paranoia may be slightly more justified, but you're still far more likely to have nothing happen to you than something on any given day.
    I hope you get raped on the way to your car, misogynist!

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Of course men do. It's not a zero-sum game. Drawing attention to systemic issues that women face doesn't take away from the general issue of violence. 1 in 3 women have experienced sexual assault. It's not paranoia.

e: Also I don't get the thread title, "got an applause"?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Of course men do. It's not a zero-sum game. Drawing attention to systemic issues that women face doesn't take away from the general issue of violence. 1 in 3 women have experienced sexual assault. It's not paranoia.
    Most men have no fucking concept of this at all. 1 in 3 and that statistic hasn't been getting better at all for decades.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

It's another one of those hard conversations to have, because yes, most men don't have any concept of it at all, but they couldn't possibly until someone explains it to them, and because it's so far outside the realm of their experience, it's very easy (and unfortunately common) for the conversation to be dismissed as "not that big a deal" or "what about the men???"

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Edit: Nvm, I'm not 100% sure about my stats so I'll take them back.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Play on words for 'getting clapped'

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    Edit: Nvm, I'm not 100% sure about my stats so I'll take them back.
    I'm out the door soon but we should check up on this, I'd be interested in seeing if there's a good survey study that puts together some of the numbers.

1 in 3 women worldwide? I'd believe that. There's over a billion muslims, and a good chunk of them happen to view women as property. How about some statistics that are a little more meaningful?

In a self-reported survey (immediately undermines the credibility), only 1 in 5 American women report ever having been a victim of rape. 50% of the time these rapes were committed by a significant other, and 40% of the time by an acquaintance. Granted, the numbers don't add up in that section, so either there's a typo or the surveys used to collect this data were poorly written. Regardless, we'll go with the assumption that the vast majority of rapes are done by SOs or acquaintances. What I want to know is how many of these fall into the moral gray area of intoxicated sex. Depending on who you ask, it's either rape or merely a bad decision. Depending on your definition, you could very easily quadruple or quintuple the number of "victims" of rape, since people get drunk and fuck all the time.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

I know this is going to sound terrible, and really I'm not trying to play this down at all, but how many of you would feel comfortable if someone came and knocked on your door at 2:30 am. It says she was shot on the porch, so did she knock on the door, did she bang on the door, did she ring the doorbell, did she crash into this person's house, does this person have kids, were there break ins in the area lately? I want to agree that there really doesn't seem to be any reasonable self defense argument for shooting someone in the back of the head, but there's a lot of information that's missing still.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Well my issue with the stat was mainly that you said 1 in 3 have been sexually assaulted. Whereas from what I remember it was that 1 in 3 will be in their lifetime. I think that makes a drastic change in the number. Obviously doesn't make it any lesser of an issue, just semantics.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

No that's fair enough, that's why I wanted to do some checking!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

Beyond immediately jumping to the horrendous systemic sociological issues (which need to be addressed)… how fucking scary must it have been to be a woman in a car accident, at night, walking by yourself to knock on a stranger's door, looking for help.
    Obviously not as scary as seeing a black woman knock on your door in the middle of the night.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    I hope you get raped on the way to your car, misogynist!
    banned for this? lmfao you got raped son. see men have to worry about assault as well.

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

1 in 3 women worldwide? I'd believe that. There's over a billion muslims, and a good chunk of them happen to view women as property. How about some statistics that are a little more meaningful?

In a self-reported survey (immediately undermines the credibility), only 1 in 5 American women report ever having been a victim of rape. 50% of the time these rapes were committed by a significant other, and 40% of the time by an acquaintance. Granted, the numbers don't add up in that section, so either there's a typo or the surveys used to collect this data were poorly written. Regardless, we'll go with the assumption that the vast majority of rapes are done by SOs or acquaintances. What I want to know is how many of these fall into the moral gray area of intoxicated sex. Depending on who you ask, it's either rape or merely a bad decision. Depending on your definition, you could very easily quadruple or quintuple the number of "victims" of rape, since people get drunk and fuck all the time.
    Reported rapes don't account for all rapes, and yes, most rapes are committed by known actors, rather than the tradition guy in a sky mask.

Also, rape is nonconsensual sex, being intoxicated doesn't make rape morally gray, &c.

I'm not going to touch "it's either rape or a merely a bad decision" because oh my do I have a lot of cussing still left in me!

DEUS VULT
    FITE ME

BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    banned for this? lmfao you got raped son. see men have to worry about assault as well.
    Dude, get out. You have somewhere to cry about it so do it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    Apparently rape isn't a joke. Tread carefully, friend.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galkaeater View Post
    Obviously not as scary as seeing a black woman knock on your door in the middle of the night.
    How many of you leave your lights on all night? Don't most people turn their lights off when they go to sleep, or am I (and the people I know) a minority? For all we know, this person couldn't even see her, only heard her knocking on the door.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Apparently rape isn't a joke. Tread carefully, friend.
    Sath probably wasn't joking. I know him, I bet he really wanted you to get raped on the way to your car.